𝒉𝑢𝑟𝑡𝑠 𝑙𝑖𝑘𝑒 𝒉𝑒𝑙𝑙

ᶜᵃⁿ'ᵗ ᵉᵛᵉⁿ ˡᵒᵒᵏ ʸᵒᵘ ⁱⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ᵉʸᵉˢ ᶜᵃᵘˢᵉ ⁱ'ᵐ ᵇᵘʳⁿⁱⁿᵍ ᵘᵖ ʷⁱᵗʰ ᵍᵘⁱˡᵗ
ᶠʳᵒᵐ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵒⁿᵉ ᵐᵒᵐᵉⁿᵗ ʷᵉⁿᵗ ᵗᵒᵒ ᶠᵃʳ ᵃⁿᵈ ⁿᵒʷ ⁱ ᶠᵘᶜᵏᵉᵈ ᵘᵖ ʷʰᵃᵗ ʷᵉ ᵇᵘⁱˡᵗ

ᵇᵉᵃᵘᵗⁱᶠᵘˡ ᵖᵃⁱⁿ (ˡᵒˢⁱⁿᵍ ᵐʸ ᵐⁱⁿᵈ) - ᵖᵒˡᵒ ᵍ

Oᴍɴɪsᴄɪᴇɴᴛ

"You're not staying for breakfast?" Alaina's small voice came, almost missable over the loud babbling of the two children sitting in high chairs beside her, making Wayne stop halfway to opening the door.

"Uh...no...I uh....I gotta get to work. Already late" he mumbled an excuse, wanting nothing more than to leave already.

"But we always have late breakfast together with the kids" she pointed out.

"....maybe some other time" he told her and she sighed, her shoulders slumping.

"What about lunch?"

"I already uh....made plans"

"But will you be home for dinner?" She asked him, hope laced in her voice.

"It's...uh....gonna be a...late night. Don't wait up for me"

"...okay" she said dejectedly, her tone making his chest tighten. "Well have a nice day. Love you"

"Yeah you too" he replied, not quite meeting her eyes.

And when he finally opened the door to leave, the choking tension following behind him, only then did she let the tears fall.

He had been acting different since that night.

He barely even had breakfast with her anymore. Didn't text her randomly when he had been gone all day and was starting to miss her. Didn't kiss her forehead in the mornings like he usually did. Didn't hold her at night anymore. All but avoided eye contact whenever she tried to talk to him and practically ended the conversation before it even began.

He even started going to the studio more often, even though he had always claimed that he hated to leave her alone at home.

He didn't even return her 'I love you's anymore, always replying with a weak 'you too' or a small 'same'.

It was like she was living with a completely different person than the one she was engaged to.

And she didn't like it one bit

She felt like she was watching him slowly fall out of love with her.

And it hurt. It hurt like hell.

-

"Maybe nothing's really wrong. Maybe he's just been really busy at the studio" Evan tried to stay optimistic.

"Yeah. You know stress makes people act stupid" Zee added, even though they both weren't buying it themselves.

She had called Zee on the phone for a quick talk but her best friend had sensed something wrong, quickly coming over with Evan in tow.

The two of them had sat her down and had gotten her to open up about what was bothering her.

"Do you think it's me? Like maybe I'm the problem?" Alaina asked, her face full of worry as she played with her hands nervously.

Evan and Zee exchanged looks before giving her a weird look.

"I'd smack you if you weren't so vulnerable right now" Evan said, rolling his eyes.

"Babygirl of course it's not you. What kind of question is that?" Zee replied, cradling Zen in her arms.

"It's just that....I feel like I'm doing something wrong" she voiced.

"Look honey, you can't blame yourself for Roddy being an ass" Evan cooed, wrapping her hands with his.

"Yeah. If he wants to act a fool then that's on him" Zee chimed in.

She knew that they didn't mean any harm. All they were trying to do was make her feel better. But she couldn't help but feel even sadder than she already was.

She had literally tried everything to get him back to normal.

She had tried talking to him. Doing all the things he loved. Wearing the clothes he claimed to love seeing her in.

She had even tried sex but he had shot her down.

She remembered that night like it was yesterday. Maybe because it was.

He had claimed to be too tired to do anything and she had awkwardly peeled herself off him, highly embarrassed and her cheeks red-hot as she laid down on her side of the bed, turning to face away from him.

The embarrassment of it all had her silently sobbing into her pillow till her face had felt hot to the touch and it had gotten hard to breathe right.

"We don't like to see you sad. Should we talk to him for you?" Zee suggested but she was quick to shoot down the idea.

"No. No. It's fine. I'm sure you're right. Maybe he's just been really busy" she tried to play it off, giving them a small smile that didn't quite reach her eyes despite the look they were giving her.

"Just remember that we're here if you ever need to talk" he said, squeezing her hands.

"Thanks guys"

-

Wayne cursed under his breath as he stumbled into the house, waking Alaina, who was dozing on the couch, up.

"Hey" she mumbled softly, rubbing her eyes.

"You're still up?" He asked, surprised. It was well past 2 in the morning and he didn't think she'd still be awake.

"I was waiting for you" she told him, standing up.

"You didn't have to do that. I told you not to wait up" he said, taking his jacket off.

"I know. But I just really needed to talk to you about something"

"Well can whatever it is wait till tomorrow? I'm really tired" he complained.

She knew where this was going.

He always said the same thing every other night that she tried to talk to him.

It was either 'it's been a long day and I'm tired' or 'I'm really not in the mood for this'.

She was starting to get tired of it.

"But it's really importan-"

"Look Alaina, it's been a long day and I really just want to get some sleep. Can you at least let me do that?" He asked her, already looking annoyed at her.

'Can you shut the fuck up and let me talk?' she wanted to say but she didn't want to push him.

"Sure" she mumbled, feeling her heart deflate.

She knew she should have put up more of a fight. She shouldn't have kept letting him walk over her. But she couldn't help it. She was foolishly in love with him.

And she just wanted to please him.

And as he walked past her to get upstairs, the smallest of sobs escaped her, her eyes closed shut to push back the tears from falling.

She was a fool in love.

××

still hate me? okay.

don't forget to vote and comment
thanks

not edited.