𝑡𝒉𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑠 𝑐𝒉𝑎𝑛𝑔𝑒

ᵒᵛᵉʳˡᵒᵃᵈᵉᵈ
ᵒⁿ ᵃˡˡ ᵗʰᵉ ᵐᵉᵐᵒʳⁱᵉˢ ᵃⁿᵈ ᵃˡˡ ᵗʰᵉ ᵐᵒᵐᵉⁿᵗˢ ʸᵉᵃʰ
ʷʰᵉⁿ ⁱ ˡᵒᵒᵏ ᵇᵃᶜᵏ ᵗᵒ ᵗʰᵉᵐ, ⁱᵗ'ˢ ʰᵃʳᵈ ᵗᵒ ᶠᵒᶜᵘˢ
ⁱ ˡⁱᵏᵉ ᵗᵒ ⁱᵐᵃᵍⁱⁿᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ᵗⁱᵐᵉ ᵇᵉⁱⁿᵍ ᶠʳᵒᶻᵉⁿ

ᵃˡʷᵃʸˢ ᶠᵒʳᵉᵛᵉʳ - ᵇʳʸˢᵒⁿ ᵗⁱˡˡᵉʳ

Oᴍɴɪsᴄɪᴇɴᴛ

"I love Evan" Zee revealed to Lay as she drove her car out the airport

"Aww. Love you right back sweetheart. Kinda wish I met you in New York instead of Alaina over here" Evan spoke up from the backseat, making Lay roll her eyes.

Ever since they met up with Zee at the airport, Evan and Zee had formed a special bond by taking turns to throw jabs at Lay and make fun of her. Naya had stayed quiet, making small talk here and there. She was mostly observing. Something she did when she met new people.

"So you're getting married right?" Lay asked and Zee raised an eyebrow.

"Married?"

"Yeah. I mean you got a diamond ring on"

When Zee had shown her the ring, she was shocked. She didn't really think her and Josh would end up getting married. She didn't even know Zee was ready for that kind of commitment.

"Oh no no no. You got it all wrong. I ain't getting married" she cleared up. "It's a promise ring"

Promise rings.

Lay had grown to hate them. But why wouldn't she? The last one she wore couldn't keep its promise. It didn't even try to.

"That's nice. I think it's pretty" she smiled to avoid putting a damper on Zee's happiness.

"Thanks" Zee blushed and Lay turned to look out the window. The first thing she noticed was the billboard there. It was an ad for relationship counselling.

Rekindle Old Flames With A New Spark

She didn't know why but she felt like it was talking to her. She shook off the creepy feeling and turned back to Zee.

"So how's the gang?" She asked.

"They're good" Zee answered.

"Anything change?"

"I wouldn't know"

"Well why not?"

"I ain't really seen them in a while. I got a job offer and I moved to LA" she explained. "I still keep in touch with them but we ain't really talked in a while"

"I understand" Lay nodded. "But do you know if....." She trailed off. She didn't know how to ask Zee if she knew if Roddy had a girlfriend now. She wasn't asking because she wanted him back or anything. She just wanted to know if he actually moved on. Like he said he would.

"Know what?"

"If....um....." She couldn't get it out.

"She wants to know if her ex has a new girlfriend" Evan explained to Zee. Evan having no filter was something Lay both appreciated and  cursed. She couldn't decide if it was a blessing or a curse at times and this time was no different.

"I don't know....." Zee stretched out the 'know', indicating she was lying.

He did move on.

She remembered weeks after they had broken up, she had tried to text him. She had tried to work things out. She really tried. But she just couldn't hit send. She couldn't do it.

Maybe if she did back then, she wouldn't have been so nervous to come back to Cali. Maybe she would've been happy to. Maybe they would've even still been together.

Who knew?

They drove past Wingstop and it immediately brought memories of their first date back to Alaina. He had ordered the All-in bundle for the both of them and they had finished everything in ten minutes. That was the fastest she had ever eaten in her life.

She pushed the thoughts of the past to the back of her mind and tried to focus on the song playing on the radio. It had ended and another one started up.

Pulling out the coupe out the lot
Told 'em 'Fuck 12! Fuck SWAT!'
Busting all the bales out the box

"Sorry" Zee muttered and quickly changed the station. The car became silent as Alaina soaked in Elaine's voice belting out all the right keys in her single 'You're The One'.

"You ever get that tattoo you always wanted?" Lay asked randomly, remembering when Zee had told her she wanted another tattoo but didn't know what to get.

"Yeah" she nodded.

"What was it?"

"Well, I still couldn't decide on one thing..." Zee started the story.

_

"Hey ma" Lay smiled as her mum pulled her into a bear hug.

"I missed you munchkin" her mum gushed.

"Missed you too ma" she said when they broke the hug.

"Dang. What the hell they feeding you over there in that dang ol' New York. You done lost allat healthy happy fat you had 'fore you went there" her mother said, scanning her appearance and her smile faltered.

Did she really lose that much weight?

"Am I really that-"

"This place is so huge" Naya cut her off as she and Evan came into the room. "It's bigger than Evan's place and that's saying sum'"

"I mean it is quite big but I wouldn't say it's bigger than mine" Evan stated, displeased at the comparison of his house and John's.

"These your friends?" Maria asked her daughter and she nodded.

"That's Evan. He's a fashion designer. And that's Naya. She's a model. Guys, this is my mum" she introduced them to each other.

"Hello Davis senior. So nice to meet you" Evan said as he picked up her hand and kissed the back of her palm.

"What a charmer. This your boyfriend?"

"He's into men" she told her mum, shocking her. She didn't blame her. She was shocked when she found out too. He didn't look gay. Matter of fact, he looked like a fuck boy.

"Forreal? What a shame. Y'all look cute together"

"Right. So where's John?" She asked, looking around.

"He's out. Why don't I show y'all your rooms first? Then maybe we can talk later" Maria and suggested and they nodded.

"Lead the way"

××

Second update as promised 😌

Don't forget to vote and comment
Thanks

Not edited.