Distractions

~~Evelyn Dayne~~

I walk into the great hall, seeing a couple dozen men, Frey and Stark alike, drinking and feasting, all laughing with one another like good friends.

Walder Frey sits up on the high table, looking down on everyone. On the ramparts, the musicians play classics from before and after the Dance of Dragons.

I walk through, seeing more men making messes and some fools out of themselves. I see Robb and Talisa playing games of love, stealing kisses in such a crowded place.

I see Roose Bolton sitting alone at a table and I go over to him. I sit across from the man and he looks at me.

"Commander Dayne."

"Lord Bolton."

I great and a man comes and tries to pour some wine in his goblet but he puts his hand over it.

"Don't drink?"

I ask.

"No. I rarely ever do. Dulls the senses. Do you?"

I shake my head.

"It would probably take the edge off a little but no, I don't."

"Why's that?"

He asks and I shrug.

"Liquor dulls the senses, amongst other things."

I see a man crash onto the floor, bringing a chair with him. His friends help him up and the drunk gets right back to drinking.

"See my point?"

Lord Bolton smiles a small smile, nodding.

"How has your campaign been?"

I ask and Lord Bolton sighs.

"Not spectacular by any means. We've lost lots of men, recently. But it's to be expected when fighting a war with the Lannisters."

I nod, sighing deeply.

"Yeah, war is a tricky thing, isn't it? It goes on for so long people forget it's even happening."

"But the North remembers."

He says.

"Do they?"

I point around at the excessive drinking and partying.

"This is all just a distraction. People want distractions instead of getting things done. It's why I feel like this war might not ever end. Kings and everyone else are too worried about getting married than fighting battles."

I groan in frustration and Lord Bolton let's out a quiet chuckle.

"Is that why you've had such success? No distractions?"

"No distractions and a good deal of luck."

I remark. Walder Frey stands from his seat, catching everyone's attention.

"Your Grace."

He addresses.

"The Septon has prayed his prayers, some words were said and Lord Edmure has wrapped my daughter in a cloak. But they are not yet man and wife."

He says and Edmure and Roslin look at each other.

"A sword needs a sheath."

Everyone laughs.

"And a wedding needs a bedding. What does my sire say?"

Everyone begins chanting as I watch them all almost go nuts over this.

"To bed! To bed! To bed!"

Robb stands from his seat next to Talisa.

"If you think the time is right, Lord Walder, by all means, let us bed them."

Everyone in the hall cheers as people begin to crowd around the married couple, picking them up out of their seats, taking bit of clothing off here and there.

"To bed! To bed! To bed!"

They carry them down the hall, chanting louder and louder as they go further down to whatever bedchamber they're going to dump them at.

"Poor girl."

I remark to Lord Bolton.

"I hear Lord Edmure isn't the most competent man."

He smirks at my remark.

"But see what that is?"

I ask, looking at the now empty doorway with a shake of my head.

"Distraction."

~~~~~
A/N

Hope you all enjoy!

Thank you so much for reading!