The Song of the North

~~Evelyn Dayne~~

I walk around the camp as everyone is somber and silent. Yesterday, everyone was somewhat cheerful and lighthearted but tonight...

Tonight they think of nothing but their deaths that come tomorrow. Maybe half of them die, maybe all of them. Hell, maybe I will die tomorrow.

I walk towards a campfire, hanging back a bit to listen to the men who sits around it talking.

"My wife... she's pregnant back at Sunspear, you know."

"Do the Maesters think it's a boy or girl?"

"Gods, I hope it's not a boy. Not another hot headed idiot like me. I hope it's a little girl. I know it will be."

I smile moving to sit on the log silently without any of them even noticing.

"She'll be just like her mother. Her eyes will be blue but I wouldn't care if they were brown or green. She'll be our little girl no matter what."

"That's a pretty picture you paint there, friend."

I say and the soldiers look at me in surprise.

"Commander, I-"

"It's alright. Tonight, just call me Evelyn."

The men seem to calm down a little as they sit there awkwardly for a long time. Finally, one of them meets my gaze.

"Forgive me, Commander-"

"Evelyn."

I correct him.

"Evelyn... But is it true that Daenerys Targaryen is coming to our aid?"

In all honesty, I have no idea if she knows the danger we're in. I haven't been able to dream of her and the ravens we sent have probably been shot out of the air by the Lannister troops across the field.

At least they can't get the gold and food into the city.

I think back to Lady Maege Mormont, my best friend. I've never had a mother before. But alongside Aunt Ashara, she is one of the only ones that I would ever consider my mother. Her words of wisdom saved me more times than once.

"And if you cannot give them that...best make sure you tell them a damn good lie."

"Yes. She will. She brought back dragons from extinction."

"But will she bring her dragons in time?"

"Daenerys Targaryen made the impossible happen more than once. She will do it again. I promise you that, my friend."

He seems reassured, smiling slightly.

"If we make it through this, I'll name my little girl Daenerys or Evelyn."

I laugh warmly at that.

"You will make it through this. I'm not going to lie to you and say that we all will... But we as Dornish men and women will survive. We will fight and we will survive this, I promise you all. I promise you all that I would die for each and every one of you. And if that happens tomorrow, then so be it."

I nod in affirmation and stand, seeing the gloomy mood around the fire drop and a warm happiness fills it up.

Whether it will last long doesn't matter. To live in the moment is a beautiful thing.

I walk back towards my tent, looking at the stars briefly before walking inside.

I set my swords down onto the ground and lie down without much care. I close my eyes and silently pray that I see her.