"What You Would Do If You Lost"

~~Evelyn Dayne~~

After leaving the council chamber, I walk alone through the halls of the castle. I look at the walls which at every turn have engravings of dragons, knights and depictions of warfare.

I shutter slightly thinking of the war that nearly broke me. Perhaps it did and I'm just not admitting it has yet. But the weight that I felt on my shoulders for two years leading 11,000 men into battle has come back. But now I have even more weight.

Edric had said that the bannermen of House Dayne number 15,000. And on top of that, all of Dorne has united, making the numbers now nearly 75,000 men. Just the thought that all of those men could be massacred haunts me. The thought that it would be my fault makes my body shake.

I swiftly enter a vacant bedchamber, wanting to be alone away from everyone. Looking around, the room is empty say for a bed and a table with chairs. The windows are open and the hearth hasn't been lit in years.

I draw Dawn from it's scabbard, setting it on the table while I sit on a chair, rubbing my eyes.

Suddenly, a knock comes from the door and my hand slaps down on the hilt of Dawn unconsciously.

"Who is it?"

"Lady Elliara Sand, Your Grace. May I enter?"

"I guess."

I say, taking my hand from Dawn as Lady Elliara enters, her rather revealing dress brightening the room with it's colors.

"Forgive me for disturbing you, Your Grace."

"Don't call me that. I'm no queen."

"No? But you are bedding the Queen. So what does that make you then?"

I don't bother answering her as I shake my head, looking out the window. Elliara steps closer, setting down two glasses and a bottle of wine.

"I brought wine. Good Dornish wine, none of that piss from the Reach."

She remarks with a smirk, pouring it into the two glasses.

"What are you doing here, Lady Elliara?"

"What? Can I not simply have a drink with a friend?"

"No, what are you doing here?"

I press with full seriousness.

"What do you want from me?"

"What I want is to know you."

"You're a Dornish woman, I can take that several different ways."

"Ooh, and which way do you want to take that?"

I scoff and stand from my seat, moving towards the window. It's silent between us as I try to ignore that fact that she's still here and that her eyes are boring into my back.

"Oberyn would have loved to meet you, Sword of the Morning."

I don't turn to her.

"How did you earn it without being a Knight?"

She asks and I turn to her, sighing.

"My cousin, Gerald Dayne, came to Starfall after I first arrived and took the castle. He had my Aunt Ashara and Edric on their knees in the throne room. He..took Dawn and ran it right through her belly."

I say, shaking a little bit while pointing at the blade on the table. Lady Elliara's fingers trace the blade sadly before looking back at me.

"I am sorry to hear this. I met Ashara Dayne at the Tourney of Harrenhal. She was a good woman."

"She was. But I made sure to settle the score that day."

"You killed Ser Gerald?"

I nod.

"And no one objected to you taking Dawn and the title?"

I shake my head.

"I think everyone was smart not to that day. There would've been more dead bodies to clean up otherwise."

I remark and Lady Elliara grins at me.

"My Oberyn would've loved you. He would've loved to serve you and Daenerys Targaryen..."

She smiles sadly.

"He got himself killed rescuing the Imp from his sister's assassins. I haven't been the same since."

She shakes her thoughts before looking up at me.

"So, you're a veteran of the War of the Five Kings, you travelled from the North to Starfall, you claimed the Dawn and the title, you travelled to meet Daenerys Targaryen, you flew on a dragon a actually controlled it and you are still alive to tell the tale."

"And I'm a Meereense fighting pit champion."

"Is there anything you can't do?"

She asks with a smile, seemingly impressed with all of my accomplishments in my lifetime, if you could even call them that.

"I can't put down the blade. I'm restless and I fear I will always be."

"Every Sword of the Morning has felt that way. But eventually, every single one gave up the Morning to become the Evening. I'm sure you will as well, one day."

"I certainly hope so."

I say, eyeing Dawn as it's Valyrian Steel like blade practically glows in the natural light coming from the window.

"You want to know why I am here?"

She asks after a while and I nod wordlessly.

"I lost the love of my life to the Lannisters. Don't let them or anyone else taken yours. Don't trust anyone around her and never show weakness. That's how I lost the man I love most in this world.."

She says with sadness and seriousness all jumbled together.

"I would die for Daenerys if it came to it."

"I know you would."

She smiles.

"But if she still died...don't let anything or anyone stand in your way of revenge. Do you want to know what you would do if you lost? You would burn whole cities to the grown, impale this sword through the hearts of every person in the world, and watch with pleasure."

"No... I wouldn't.. wouldn't do any of that."

"So you didn't execute those 2000 something prisoners that day out of revenge?"

My eyes widen slightly as I stare at Elliara Sand in silence. After losing my best friend in battle, I commanded all of the Lannister prisoners to be executed, their bodies speared on pikes with their heads cut off. I felt nothing then but I feel regret now.

But I know her words are true. If something did happen to Daenerys...well.. the Realm would bleed.

"You think yourself above the idea of revenge when you know deep down that you would relish in it... But if you didn't... Daenerys would. It's in her very nature."

"No, she wouldn't do what you say. She's a good woman with a good heart."

"A good woman with a bad monster hiding inside her good heart. If you died...the whole world will be nothing but ash while you lied in the ground somewhere."

Lady Elliara stands, stepping towards me and taking a strand of my black hair with her fingers, twisting it slightly while grinning.

"Never let anyone stop you. That's all I have to say."

She says before she turns around, leaving me alone with my troubling thoughts.

~~~~~
A/N

Oof, the advice Dany and Evelyn are getting is serious stuff. I really hope you guys like this chapter because I really did.

I hope you all enjoy!!!

Thank you so much for reading!!!