The Dayne Slayer

~~Evelyn Dayne~~

I continue thrashing as the guard from before and several more drag me and Ashara to the Great Hall, where Dawn is kept.

Gerold Dayne walks in front of us, looking around the vibrant halls with distaste, already looking like he is planning the redecorating of it whole place.

We get to the large engraved doors and he opens them wide, peering into the hall with it's huge glass pained windows on boh sides, brightening the whole room.

"It's a little much, don't you think?"

He remarks to no one in particular.

I see men already holding Edric hostage by the hearth and I thrash even more, trying to get to him.

"No! Don't fucking hurt him!"

"Why should you care? You didn't even know of their existence until recently."

"And I just met you today and I already want to kill you!"

I spit back and he chuckles but doesn't answer. I follow his eyes to the sword on the mantle. The sword of my father.

"Gerold, leave the boy and girl out of this! Please!"

Aunt Ashara practically begs as several men move the throne like chair, moving it and it's steps to the center of the room right in front of the hearth.

Darkstar steps forward, looking down at Edric who is on his knees as I still try to resist. He looks back to the sword on the mantle.

"Arthur Dayne...The Sword of the Morning."

He says his name in such distaste and disgust that in angers me even further.

"They say he was the greatest swordsman in Westeros. Everyone spoke about how great he was. He wasn't great. He just had the sword."

He reaches up, taking the hilt in his hands as he bring it down from the mantle.

"Growing up in the Cadet Branch of House Dayne, High Hermitage, the chances of actually earning the right to Dawn was next to impossible. I fought through the ranks to be even considered for the right to it. But Arthur... Oh, everyone already knew he would be the one to wield Dawn."

He holds the sword's hilt in his hand tightly, grinning angrily.

"We fought to earn it. We fought, I lost."

"So you have no right to it if it was won fairly."

"How is it fair that someone was brought up with the knowledge that one day they will wield it?"

"My father didn't grow up knowing that he'd get the damn sword. He grew up knowing he'd have to fight tooth and nail to earn it, just like every Dayne that ever was. You just haven't learned what the definition of determination and persistence is."

I seethe out angrily and Darkstar clenches his fist tightly, one hand still holding Dawn. He glares sharply at me.

"I was once one of the greatest swordsman in Westeros. I was destined to become so much more. But I was robbed of that destiny by Arthur Dayne."