Chapter 7: "Finally Saturday"

⚠️TW:⚠️ Not really any

--------------------------------------------

-Time skip to a week after-

Lizzie's pov:

It was Saturday again. I had been waiting the whole week to see Nova again, and today was the day! MK had actually seen Nova on the street last week when she was out running some errands, but she had told me that Nova had looked busy so they hadn't talked or anything.

I had actually talked a bit to Robbie though about maybe adopting Nova. He had been very positive about the idea, I think he had seen how my eyes lit up when I talked about her. He had agreed to us trying to adopt her, although he had said that he wanted to meet her before we actually went to sign the papers.

We had decided against him coming today though because I didn't want to make Nova uncomfortable or anxious, and I wanted her to know that we were considering adopting her before she met Robbie.

MK had a couple of meetings today so I was heading to the barn alone. I had been up at an ungodly hour, probably like 6 am. Yes, I was that excited for today. It was currently about 11:30 right now, and I was in the car on my way to the barn.

After a car ride which felt a lot longer than it actually was and way too much traffic, I eventually made it to the barn.

Nova's pov:

It was Saturday again. The day I would get to see Lizzie again. I had tried my hardest to take my mind off today, as I was quite anxious. What was Lizzie going to say when she saw me again? Was she going to hate me? How was I supposed to act?

These thoughts circled my brain the entire morning as I did my normal morning feedings. Ally noticed something was off, and she eventually confronted me about it. "What's up Novs? You've been off the entire morning."

I tried to brush it off, saying it was nothing and that I was just tired, she looked right through my lies. I eventually caved, telling her about my concerns.

"I promise you Novs, you'll be just fine, I'm sure she loves you, I'll be right here so if you need a moment, just give me a heads up alright and I'll find an excuse for you to leave for a moment okay?" She reassured me.

This is what I loved so much about Ally. She could read me like an open book, and she always reassured me things would be alright and she would always be right there with me. She also didn't see me any differently, she didn't pity me.

Ally didn't care that I was an orphan, we were best friends and nothing could ever change that.

The clock was nearing 12, and I was becoming increasingly nervous. I was standing with Billy in the crossties, brushing him, trying to take my mind off what was going to happen. Mr. Miller had told me to groom Billy before Lizzie got here, but to leave the tack off so that she could practice doing that by herself.

She had pretty much mastered the grooming as she had done it before, so to save time, I was grooming him. I was also chatting with Ally, who was sitting on the ledge in front of the crossties.

Lizzie's pov:

I eventually arrived at the barn, and I went to try and find Nova. Mr. Miller had informed me that she again would be helping me tack Billy up. After a bit of walking around, I found Nova and another girl talking together, while Nova was brushing Billy.

Nova had a huge smile on her face as she laughed at something the other girl had said. I took in her features. Her eyes had a twinkle in them and she was so calm around the other girl, nothing like how she had been when I first met her.

You could visibly see how comfortable she was around the other girl, she was a lot more relaxed and carefree, in comparison to how she was with me, polite but anxious. My heart felt warm when I saw her this happy, and her huge grin made the corners of my mouth curl upwards.

She must have noticed my presence because her eyes locked with mine. She immediately straightened her posture and put a polite smile on her face. "Mrs. Olsen, you're here, how are you?" She asked me sweetly.

"Once again, Lizzie is just fine, and I'm doing good Nova, what about you?" I smiled. "Doing good", she answered. "Mrs-, sorry, Lizzie, this is my best friend Ally, she'll be with us today, Ally this is Lizzie" Nova introduced us.

"It's nice to meet you Ally", I smiled, shaking her hand. "It's nice to meet you too", she answered. I shifted my gaze back at Nova. "So umm, I've gone ahead and brushed Billy for you, as you seemed to be quite familiar with that already, so you just have to tack him up", she smiled.

"I'll of course help you if you need it", she quickly shot in when she saw my horrified expression.

I then got to it, first putting on Billy's saddle pad and saddle before moving on to the bridle. I found the saddle quite easy today, as Nova had shown me how to do it last week, but the bridle presented itself as quite the task.

There were just so many different straps, and like how do you know where each one goes, they look exactly the same! After Nova and Ally not so discreetly giggling at my failed attempts to get it on, Nova finally stepped in and helped me get the bridle on Billy.

I then put on my helmet before leading Billy out into the arena. Someone had already set out some cones, and someone was also cooling their horse down in the arena. Nova walked beside me to the center of the arena where the mounting block was, while Ally took a spot outside the arena by the fence.

Nova shared a quick greeting with the person cooling their horse down, before moving on to helping me. "Alright, so do you remember how to adjust the stirrups?" Nova asked me. "I think so, you just do this right?" I answered while measuring the stirrup.

"Yeah, so I would recommend making them a bit longer, that looks a bit short", she instructed me. I took her advice and shortened the stirrups before doing up Billy's girth. "Okay, all ready to go?" Nova asked me and I nodded.

Nova placed the mounting block beside Billy, and I hopped on him. "Do your stirrups feel alright?" She asked me. "Yeah, I think so", I answered. "Not too long, not too short?"

I wiggled my feet and shook my head. "No, they feel good."

"Great, do you remember how to get him to walk?" She asked me. "You just squeeze your legs right?" I asked and she nodded. "Yeah, if you're ready you can go ahead and start walking", she smiled.

I squeezed my legs together as I had done so many times last week, and Billy started walking at a slow pace. 

-----------------------------------------------------

Hey! I'm back, finally! It's only Wednesday and this week has already been too much for me to handle. I'm leaving tomorrow for Easter break though, so no more school for me! Yayy!

Anyway, how are you doing? How's your week been so far?

We take care of ourselves here, so remember to stay hydrated, eat something if you haven't already today. If you're stressed, take some time to relax, maybe watch a movie, take a walk. If it's late, please go get some sleep. I know it's a lot more fun to stay up and read, but your future self will thank you if you go to bed <3

Love, Frida xx