Chapter 72: "Carbonara"

⚠️TW:⚠️ some past trauma maybe
————————————
Another squeeze to my hand told me she had heard me, and we made the rest of the trip to the car in a comfortable silence. It had been a long day, and I neede some quiet time to gather my thoughts.

Mum seemed to notice and turned the radio on. Quiet music filled the silence, allowing me to think. We were home in no time, wow it sounds weird to be calling a literal mansion my home, but it doesn't feel wrong anymore.

It doesn't feel like I'm intruding. I took my shoes and jacket off before venturing into the living room. "What do you want for dinner hun? I'm getting pretty hungry."

"How about I make dinner? I haven't done it in forever and I feel like you guys need some time to relax", I suggested. "You want to make dinner?" I nodded. "Okay, only if you want to okay? I have no problem with making it. Do you want me to help?"

"It's okay, I'll probably just put on some music, take some time to relax, you've had a long day", I told her, gently ushering her out of the kitchen. She looked relieved as she slumped down on the sofa, which only made me even more sure this was the right thing to do.

So I connected my phone to the speaker in the kitchen and started playing some soft music so that I didn't disturb mum too much. I decided on making a pretty simple pasta carbonara with bacon, and got all of the ingredients out.

As the pasta was boiling, I made the sauce and also cooked the bacon. I was just standing my the stove, stirring the pot of pasta, as I heard the front door open and close. Guessing who it was, a small smile made it's way to my lips, and the corners of my mouth ticked slightly upwards.

A minute later, Robbie appeared in the doorway, groceries in hand. "Oh, it's you! Hey!" He smiled, a bit surprised as to why I was in the kitchen and not mum. "Hi", I smiled, putting the ladle down to take the bags from his hands and dumping them on the kitchen island.

"Whatcha making?" He asked, peering into the pots and pans on the stove. "Pasta carbonara." I started putting the groceries in their respective places. "And where is Liz?" "She's on the sofa, she's had a long day", I told him softly while putting the apples he had bought in a bowl. ¨

"Thank you for making dinner, we both appreciate it a lot", he shot me a smile, but kept his distance, not sure how comfortable I was today. "Can I give you a hug? I need it", I asked him quietly, feeling a bit foolish asking for it.

"Of course! Come here!" He opened his arms for me and I stepped into his embrace. He gives good hugs, I have to say. I pressed my face into his shoulder, inhaling his scent which was so different to that of my father.

I think that's what has helped me realize he's not my father. Because from a distance, I just see his figure, his beard which is so similar to that of my father. But when you get closer, you notice his eyes, with that little sparkle of kindness in them which I never saw in my father's eyes.

You notice his sweet scent, which is so different from typical cologne. It's almost like his scent reflects how he is. Sweet, thoughtful and funny. "Thank you", I whispered. "It's nothing honey, you deserve it, I love you so much."

I pulled away and looked into the dark brown orbs that were his eyes. The little glint of light in them reminded me that he was not him, I'm safe. You'd think that dark brown eyes are scary, lifeless, but when they're on a person as kind as Robbie, they're really not.

They're like a glimpse of life, a glimpse of light. He shot me his charming smile which made his eyes shine. "Dinner is almost done. Do you want to go wake her up? I'm pretty sure she's fallen asleep", I asked him.

"Of course, I'll set the table too, don't worry about that okay?" I nodded, going back to the stovetop, trying not to burn anything. I heard Robbie waking mum up and a small whine which I'm pretty sure came from her.

He reappeared and informed me mum was somewhat awake and would be here in a second. A couple moments after, the table was set and I had brought the food to the table. Mum came into the kitchen, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

"Hi mum, dinner is ready", I informed her, bringing over the last pot. "This looks delicious my sweet girl, thank you so much for making this!" I blushed and looked down, not being able to take the compliment.

"It's nothing, you two usually make dinner, I wanted to repay the favour, I'm old enough to help out a little in here", I joked. Dinner was spent with a nice conversation, and we actually talked a bit about announcing me to the world.

I decided on just telling the truth. Well, most of it.

—————————————

Hi!!!

I'll keep this short as I'm late to update once again. For some reason, I don't think you guys are surprised xD

Take care yeah?

Love, Frida xx