Chapter 18: "Shower"

⚠️TW⚠️: Small panic attack, sh scars

-----------------------------------

Nova's pov:

-Time skip to when Lizzie and Nova are done at the barn-

I was finished with my lesson today and I had turned Luna back out.  I was sitting in the bathroom, hyperventilating after telling Lizzie I just had to go to the bathroom really quick.

Why was I panicking? Lizzie was kind to me, she made me feel safe. I couldn't let her in though. She would just end up leaving, and it would hurt all over again. I couldn't afford to let my walls down.

I tried to regulate my breathing and to pull myself together. I splashed some cold water in my face and took a deep breath before exiting the bathroom. "Are you ready to go?" Lizzie asked me. I nodded, not trusting my voice.

After saying goodbye to everyone I followed her out to her car. I started getting anxious as we started driving, and I mindlessly started bouncing my leg up and down, which Lizzie was quick to notice.

She carefully put her hand on my thigh and shot me a little smile. That helped for a while, but my mind eventually won again.

Why is she even doing this? You're probably just being annoying. Her husband is going to hate you, you're too shy and awkward. She's going to trick you into trusting her and then she'll leave like everyone else. You're not worth it. There's a reason you've never been adopted, it's because you're too-

"Hey, are you okay?" Lizzie asked me with a concerned voice, breaking my circle of thoughts. "Huh? Yeah, I'm fine", I offered a weak smile. "If you're not ready to do this, I can always drive you back to the orphanage, you know that right?" I nodded.

"No it's okay", I smiled. "All right, just let me know if you want to leave okay? I can assure you though, Robbie has been looking forward to meeting you", Lizzie informed me while rubbing my thigh reassuringly.

We had decided that she would just drive us both to her house and then I could get a change of clothes from her place.

Her hand never left my thing during the entire ride and it provided some comfort, having it there. We eventually got to her house though. She removed her hand from my thigh and stopped the car, giving me a reassuring smile.

"You'll be fine, we'll say hello to him and then I'll take you up to my room so that you can get some clean clothes and have a shower if you want", she smiled.

We walked up the front steps and she pushed the door open. "We're here!" She took off her jacket and boots and motioned for me to do the same. I heard footsteps and a man appeared i the doorway.

He looked kind. His hair was curly and brown and he had a beard. His brown eyes had a sparkle in them and he was smiling. I'll be honest, he kinda looks like Jesus.

Even though he looked kind, I have bad experiences with men, especially bearded men, so my body stiffened the moment I saw him.

"Hi babe! How was your lesson?" He asked Lizzie while coming over and giving her a peck on the lips. "And you must be Nova, I'm Robbie, it's nice to meet you", he smiled, stretching out his hand for me to shake.

"Nice to meet you too Robbie", I answered with a polite smile, taking his hand but letting go almost immediately. His smile faltered for a moment but he quickly composed himself.

"Lizzie has been talking a lot about you, I'm looking forward to getting to know you", he said. "Likewise", I put up the realest smile I could muster. Lizzie noticed my discomfort and suggested I should go change.

"Here are some clothes you can use, the bathroom is just in there if you want to have a shower. Feel free to use anything in there, make yourself at home", she smiled. "Thanks", I mumbled, retreating into the bathroom with the sweatpants and hoodie she had given me.

After taking my clothes off (don't get too dirty minded here), I stepped under the water and let out a hiss in pain. The marks I had made on my back last week still hadn't healed and the water stung.

I sucked it up, and after a while, the pain became kind of nice. I washed my body and my hair before stepping out of the shower and wrapping a towel around myself.

But before I could do so, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. My body, my scars. Both the ones on my thighs and the ones on my back. I'm a monster, a freak. I'm ugly and unlovable.

Lizzie's pov:

As soon as Nova went into the bathroom, I changed into a hoodie and sweats before going back down to Robbie. I didn't have the motivation to shower, I mean, it didn't really matter. It was just a casual dinner with hopefully my soon-to-be family.

They could both survive a little horsey smell. "Hey babe, what's for dinner?" I asked Robbie when I got downstairs. "Pasta bologna, I hope that's fine."

"Yeah, of course, I'm pretty sure Nova likes pasta." We sat down on the sofa and waited for Nova to be done in the shower. Out of nowhere, Robbie broke the silence.

"She's uncomfortable around me. I can tell. She's been through some shit. I want to kill the guy who did this to her, she doesn't deserve it." He mumbled, I think mostly to himself.

"I agree, I want nothing more than to give her a loving home", I answered. I heard the shower turn off, and Nova eventually came downstairs, wearing my hoodie and sweats. To say that she looked adorable was an understatement.

Even though she was taller than me, she looked amazing in my clothes. She gave me a small smile. Her wavy hair looked good, even when it was wet, you could see that she took good care of it.

"You ready to eat?" I asked and she nodded. We sat down at the table while Robbie went and got the food. "I hope pasta bologna is okay, if not, we can make you something else if you want."

"No it's fine, pasta bologna is just fine thank you", she smiled. We ate dinner in silence, just with some general small talk here and there.

————————————

Hellooooo lovely people :)

How are you? It's the weekend, yayy!!

I'm all right, a bit stressed atm which is why I'm kinda rushing this sorry.

Remember to take care of yourselves, you come first <3

Love, Frida xx