Chapter 71: "Daisies"

⚠️TW:⚠️ nothing really, just buying flowers for a deceased loved one

----------------------------

"Can we go now?" I asked. "Of course! Do you have a specific florist in mind?" Mum asked me, causing me to shrug in reply. "I don't know any florists actually, I'm not fancy like you", I told her, causing a snort to escape from her mouth.

"Yeah I'm not either. I mean, look at me", she said, gesturing to what she was currently wearing, which was an old top, some yoga pants and a pair of joggers. "Doesn't help the fact that you grew up in a rich family, you're an actress for gods sake!"

"Okay I get what you mean. How about we just go to the closest one? I think it's supposed to be pretty good", she suggested. I shugged my shoulders, showing I was okay with that desicion and didn't really care much where we went.

The florist wasn't far away, and the car was parked in no time. Mum lead the way inside, and as the bell on the door announced our arrival, the pleasant smell of flowers hit me. A cheerful woman in her twenties grreted us at the counter, her cheery tone of voice cheering me up a bit.

"Hi! Welcome! Can I help you in any way today?" "We're looking for some flowers for a grave, do you have anything fitting?" Her gaze softened slightly, and she pondered for a moment before anwering.

"I'm very sorry for your loss, but I do have some flowers in mind. We have camellias, crimson roses, daisies, forget-me-nots, lavender, lilies, rue and irises. These are all beautiful flowers to put on a grave", she told us before taking us on a round-trip around the shop, showing us all of the flowers she had mentioned. 

"Could I get a bouquet of daisies maybe?" I asked unsurely, glancing at mum for reassurance. She gave me a nod of approval, and I looked back at the worker. "Of course! Great choice! How big of a bouquet would you like?" She asked us.

I looked back at mum. "How about a dozen?" She suggested. The worker gave us a smile before preparing a bouquet of 12 daisies, tying a ribbon around it to finish it off. I was handed the flowers as mum paid.

My gaze never left the daisies in my hands as we walked out and to the car. "Thank you", I whispered, grateful for the beautiful flowers mum had bought for me. "It's no problem hun, it's the least I could do."

Her words choked me up a bit, and a single tear ran down my cheek. I was quick to wipe it away, but not before mum noticed. "Aww honey..." She took my hand and gave it a squeeze, showing she was there for me.

The drive to the cemetery didn't take long. Or maybe I was just zoned out the entire time. Either way, the car was soon parked, and before I knew it, I saw the black gates I had mixed feelings about.

"Do you want me to stay here or come with you?" Mum asked me, breaking the silence. "C-Can you come?" My voice cracked with emotion as I wasn't sure what to feel at the moment.

"Of course my sweet girl. Tell me if you want me to leave okay? This is a private moment for you", she made sure I knew I had a choice. I nodded in repsonse, showing I had heard her. My hand found mum's as we slowly walked the oh so familiar route to the grave.

Soon, the grave was stood in front of me. Mum's grip on my hand loosened slightly as she slowed down a bit, showing she was okay with waiting here. But my mind was swarming with too many emotions to be able to be alone right now.

So I gripped her hand tighter, not wanting her to let go of my hand. "Are you sure you want me to come hun?" I nodded, not trusting my voice to be able to form words. "Okay." Flowers in hand, I slumped down by the grave.

"Hi mama", I whispered. "I brought you something." I delicately placed the bouquet of daisies by the grave so that they stood upright nicely. "I might come here more often now, I think I'm able to without breaking down every time", I spoke, my voice wavering with emotion.

Needing some comfort, I reached behind me where mum was standing a couple steps back to give me some privacy. I made grabby hands towards her and she gave me a slightly amused smile, but it quickly turned into one of understanding.

She sat down behind me and wrapped me in her embrace. I leant back and took in the scent I had grown to love. It made me feel safe. "𝐼'𝓋𝑒 𝑔𝑜𝓉 𝓎𝑜𝓊", mum whispered, and that's all it took.

A feeling of acceptance washed over me. There would always be a hole in my heart, but it would become more bearable with time. As much as I missed her, it was in the past and I had to move on. And now I could.

There was no need to constantly dwell on the past when the present is so much more important. I had a family now, and even though they could never replace her, they love me just as much.

A single tear ran down my cheek, but I let it. "You would have loved her", I whispered, directing the statement towards mum. "It would have been an honour to meet her."

We got up slowly and I pressed one last kiss on her gravestone before giving it a small smile and taking mum's hand. As we walked back to the car, I was able to take in and appreciate the sheer beauty of Charlston cemetery.

The trees cast soft shadows over the rows and rows of graves, and the lights and candles illuminated the ground. Flowers were all you could see right and left, and the sleek, black fence created a put together look.

Mum squeezed my hand softly, and I met her gaze. "I'm so proud of you my sweet girl. Know that." Those two sentences were apparently the only thing I needed to hear, as they almost seemed to fill the hole in my chest. "Thank you", I whispered, not being able to say anything else.

----------------------------------

Hiya!

I just have to say, I'm so sorry for the kinda late update, I'm really tired, it's been a long couple of weeks :)

I hope you're all doing well and that you're taking care of yourselves <3

Love, Frida xx