Chapter 40: "The end of the line"

⚠️TW:⚠️ minor mention of blades if you search well enough

—————————————

My heart broke once again for this girl. She believed it was too good to be true for her to be adopted by us. She didn't believe she was good enough. In her mind, there was a significant chance we would  change our minds. 

"I'm so sorry babes, but I promise you, you're stuck with us now. There's no way you're getting rid of us", I  smiled, brushing my hands gently through her hair. "How about we pack your stuff now and then we can get out of here okay?" I suggested.

She nodded and removed herself from my embrace.

Packing  didn't take that long considering she didn't have a lot of stuff. We were definitely going shopping. Both for normal clothes and riding attire. I tried to be respectful while packing and not prying about looking at all of her stuff.

She did end up hiding some stuff from me though. One thing I wasn't sure what was. She went to get her toiletries from the bathroom and came back very nervous before quickly putting something in the outer pocket of a bag. I wanted to ask but refrained from doing so.

There was also a picture frame in her nightstand drawer which she quickly packed away after glancing at it. I once again didn't ask. It was important for her to feel like she had her privacy. She's a teenager, she's going to have some things she wants to keep to   herself.

And with all of her added trauma, she's going to   keep some things from me, there's no avoiding it. I'm just hoping she'll eventually trust me enough to feel like she can come to me for reassurance and comfort.

Anyway, Nova's stuff was eventually packed into two suitcases, a bag, a backpack and a cardboard box. Not a lot of stuff. Robbie came and helped us carry it downstairs, and we did it in one trip.

Robbie got started on loading everything into the car while Nova and I walked back inside. Miss Riley was  standing in the foyer, accompanied by two kids. One of them was the youngest of the two girls I had made soup for. I think her name was Maya.

She was in the arms of an older boy. He looked to be a couple of years younger  than Nova. They both looked up at her with glossy eyes.

Nova's pov:

I  looked down at Maya and Jake. They had been a huge part of my life for a long time, and I know I had been a big part of theirs too. I was here when Maya came as a baby. I was the one who took care of her,  feed her, and changed  her. I was here to see her walk for the first time, and say her first words.

She had recently started school and I had seen her,  outside the orphanage with a Rapunzel backpack and the biggest grin on her face.

I had been here when Jake came too. I helped him  through losing his parents, I sat with  him while he cried. I was there for his first football (soccer)  practice, his first game, and the first goal he scored. 

This was the end of the line. They understood that, and so did I. Sure, I might be able to come here every once in a while, but it wouldn't be the same thing. Maya made grabby hands towards me, and I lifted her from Jake's hands.

She immediately buried her head in my neck, and  her little body started  racking with sobs. "I-I'm gonna miss you sissy", she whispered through her tears. "I'm gonna miss you too little one."

Jake also  joined the hug and we all stood there for a  while. I eventually sat Maya down and crouched down beside her. "I'll try to come and visit  sometimes, and you can ask Miss Riley to come and  see me if you want."

"Be strong and be yourself, never let a boy mess with you, ever. They'll  have to go through me first", I smirked, giving her a fist bump which she reciprocated. I then stood up and turned to Jake.

"I'll miss you kid. You have my number so call me whenever, I wish you all the best. Keep on being amazing."

I smiled sadly before saying my final goodbyes to Miss Riley as well before I started this new chapter in my life.

I walked back to the car, ignoring Lizzie who was smiling sadly at me. Once I reached the car, I turned around and waved one last time before getting in the back seat. I couldn't bring myself to say anything else.

I knew I couldn't do it without breaking down. Tears were threatening to spill, and as soon as I closed the door, I let them. Not caring that Robbie was in the car, I let out a loud sob. He luckily didn't comment on it, and Lizzie soon joined us.

She didn't say anything either, she just shot me a reassuring smile. They both understood I needed some time right now. The whole drive I looked out   the window at everything we passed.

Everyone was just going  about their normal business, living their lives. It was just a normal day for them. For me, not so much. My life had been turned completely upside down. Whether or not that was a good thing, I wasn't too sure yet.

———————————

Hellooooooooooooo

All right, it's happened! Nova is going home!

How are you all doing? I'm doing okay, trying to juggle both horses and work, it's a bit stressful but it's only for like a week and a half so I'll be fine ig xD

Remember to drink enough water, especially if you're in the middle of a heatwave. Stay safe, love you all <3

Love, Frida xx