Chapter 63:"Until next time"

⚠️TW:⚠️ just some emotional shit, so prepare yourselves...

-----------------------------------

We took our time, not wanting to intrude on anything, despite my worry for Nova. The whole cemetery was pretty much empty, except for a small figure sitting in front of a gravestone.

Shivering in the September air and tears streaming tiredlessly down her face, we had found her. Her gaze was empty, as if all the life had been drained from it. She wasn't looking at the grave, she was looking through it.

"I'll go back to the car, I'll give you two some privcay", Robbie whispered, giving my head a pack before letting us be alone. My gaze fell back on Nova. She looked so small, so broken. I had never seen her like this.

Slowly, as not to startle her, I sat down beside her. "Hi my sweet girl", I spoke softly. No reaction. I gently put my hand on her knee, causing her to flinch, her gaze turning to one of panic. "Hey, hey, it's okay hun, it's me Lizzie", I tried to calm her down.

After frantically looking around for a second, her gaze met mine. "Mu- L-Lizzie", she choked out, her voice squeaky. "Hi my beautiful girl", I smiled. "I-I'm sorry", she sobbed, the tears coming back. "Hey, it's not your fault, it's okay bubba", I tried comforting her.

"N-No it is! I r-ran away!"

"I know you did, and as much as I would have loved for you to write a note so that we knew you were okay, you didn't. You had a lot on your mind and writing a note wasn't on top of your list of priorities. It's understandable."

"N-Now you probably hate me, you wanna send me back. I was bad, I deserve it, I-", she started rambling. "Hey! None of that okay? You're not in trouble at all okay? Just let us know where you are next time."

"Come here", I sat down fully and opened my arms for her. She wasted no time in climbing into my embrace, her face now hidden away in my chest. "You're okay hunny, I love you so so much", I whispered sweet things to her as she calmed down.

As her sobs died down to occasional sniffles, I was able to take a look at the gravstone in front of us.

Savannah Knight

1982 - 2009

Mother, wife, friend, daughter

"You will be missed dearly by those around you"

Her mother. Today must be the day she died or her birthday, some important date like that. The grave was empty, except for a small candle which looked pretty old. It also wasn't very well kept, with moss covering some of the letters.

Nova turned around in my embrace so that her back was facing my front. She leaned back into me, also looking at the grave.

"Today is the day she died", Nova shared, confirming my suspicions. "And the day I had to testify against my father in court", she continued. "And my birthday", she mumbled, barely audible.

"What?"

"Today is your birthday?"

"Yeah..."

"Why didn't you say anything Nova?"

"Because I hate my birthday Elizabeth! All my worst memories are on my birthday! My birthday has always just been a reminder of all the pain I've been through, all my worst memories, all I have lost!"