Chapter 42: "Competition plans"

⚠️TW:⚠️ self-harm

————————————-

I couldn't feel anything. I needed to feel something other than emptiness.

Don't do it Nova.

Lizzie wouldn't like it.

Why do I care about whether or not she would or wouldn't like it? She doesn't have to know.

Before anything could escalate, I was called down for dinner. I made my way down the stairs to be greeted by a heavenly smell drifting through the house.

"Do you know why the cannibal shouldn't be late for  dinner?" Robbie asked me.  Lizzie just groaned. "Oh god... please, not again, spare her Robbie, please", she whined playfully. "He gets the cold shoulder", Robbie wheezed while trying desperately not to drop the pot he was carrying.

"Oh  lord... please save me...", I  heard Lizzie. She was clearly fed up but in a playful way. It wasn't a  terrible joke, and it was nice to know he was actually a person, unlike  my father. "I'll be honest, it wasn't THAT  bad, but you could work on them", I remarked playfully while sitting  down.

"Don't tell me you're taking his side!" Lizzie whined like a toddler, getting a little giggle out of me. "Sorry not sorry."

"Thank you, this smells incredible", I smiled gratefully, accepting a plate filled with the stew.

We  ate while making some casual conversation. I told them about my school situation, and how I was doing home school because it was easier for me and I was more comfortable with it that way. We decided on keeping it that way unless I wanted to change anything.

I also learned a bit more about both of them. Not like typical celebrity stuff, more like small random things about them.

The topic of horses then came up. How often I was at the barn, if I did any competing, what a typical week would look like, that kind of stuff.  "Speaking of, do you have to go to the barn today?"

"I kind of do, but I'll just take the tube or something, it will probably take a while", smiled. "Nonsense, I'll drive you and pick you up when you're done, I have to go pick up some stuff from my trailer on set   anyway, and I'll also be able to reply to some e-mails as well", Lizzie said after chewing the food currently in her mouth.

"It's fine, it's quite the drive, you don't have to", I tried to refuse but Lizzie was persistent. So, here I find myself at the barn 45 minutes later, after Lizzie drove me. I rode Luna before doing evening feedings. 

Lizzie then very kindly picked me up. We sat in  comfortable silence, both of  us a bit tired from the big day. "So, you said you compete quite a bit.  Do you have any competitions planned?"  Lizzie asked me.

"I do actually. Ally and I are taking Luna and Crystal to Northampton horse trials next weekend", I told her hesitantly. Would I still be  allowed to go? I wasn't adopted when we made the plans, and Miss Riley didn't really care about what competitions I went to.

"Really?"  Lizzie asked, briefly taking her eyes off the road. "Yeah, it's a one-day event which is on Saturday, but we'll arrive on Friday and leave on Sunday, given  the dressage takes place pretty early and since  it's just generally a lot for one day", I explained.

"Would you mind if at least I came with?" Lizzie asked me. "Wait... are you serious? You don't have to  you know, it's the weekend, you probably want to do something with your friends or family", I pointed out.

"You're my family now, so technically I'm spending some quality time with my family", Lizzie remarked with a smirk, proud of herself. "I'm not sure if Robbie can make it, but we could maybe invite the twins, I'm sure MK would love to see you compete", Lizzie continued bribing me, knowing MK and I got  along pretty well when we first met.