Chapter 90: "The next adventure"

Epilogue

Nova grieved.

And grieved.

She couldn't function for a solid couple of weeks. Any small reminder of her beloved horse left her in tears. The nightmares and panic attacks returned.

Even the cutting resumed.

Lizzie found Nova on the ground in her bathroom, blood soaking through her bandages.

From then on, Lizzie was determined to do whatever she could to help her daughter. Robbie was worried to death, never had he seen her so lifeless, so done with life.

But from that point, things started to look up. The gaping hole in Nova's chest never got smaller, it never disappeared, but it became more bearable.

Instead of breaking down at every mention of Luna, Nova learned to reminisce about the memories, the time they did get together. 

Sure, she had her moments, her breakdowns, her nightmares about either losing her all over again, or about losing someone else.

But she let people in, she let people help her, guide her through the rough patches.

And one night, after a particularly rough panic attack when Lizzie wasn't present, Nova found herself in Robbie's embrace trying to get her breath even.

"There we go, nice deep breaths for me. I love you so much." Robbie's voice echoed through the room. "I love you too dad."

Robbie couldn't comprehend what he had just heard. There was no way, right?

Well, turns out there was.

A couple of months later, Nova felt as if it was finally time. Despite her grief, another hole had emerged. The lack of time spent around horses. Sure, she had ridden Crystal a few times when Ally didn't have the time, and she had spent some time training a new off-the-track thoroughbred which the yard owner had bought.

But it wasn't the same. Nova longed for the feeling of getting up to the yard in the morning and being greeted by her own horse.

So, after some encouraging words from both Ally and Lizzie about the fact that she wasn't replacing Luna in any way, Nova got a new horse.

Not a particularly fancy one, but a horse nonetheless.

His name was Colonel. An off-the-track who's career ended early due to a small injury. A bit crazy, but he kept Nova on her toes and she quickly fell in love with him. He wasn't Luna, but he was perfect in a whole different way. 

Sure, Lizzie worried when Colonel would throw her around. Her heart tightened every time Nova was thrown into the arena fence. But Nova was happy again. This was her passion, and that was all that mattered. 

The headcollar of Nova's heart horse hung on her wall, never to be used again. That would feel wrong. But a little charm was made out of Luna's tail and fastened on Colonel's bridle. It brought them luck and was a neat little reminder of her first horse.

And as the years went by, Lizzie found herself as proud as ever of her daughter. She had endured so much yet she had turned into the kind-hearted, selfless person she was today. What was there not to be proud of?

--------------------------

Aaaaaand that's the end. 

I'm not planning on doing a book 2, at least not right now. I'm not in a great place mentally, and just keeping updates up has taken a toll on me. I do have another book in the works, but let's just say that it's more of an adult book ;)

Either way, I just want to thank you all so much for sticking with me. Reading your comments never fails to put a smile on my face, and I always enjoy talking to all of you. 

So take care, and don't hesitate to reach out at any time <3

Love, Frida xx