Chapter 22: "Midnight calls with Griffin"

⚠️TW:⚠️ none

—————————————

Nova's pov:

Was this woman for real? Does she really want to adopt me? But why? Who in their right mind would want to do that? And an actress? I'm just an inconvenience to her, a burden. I'm annoying, unlovable. That's why I've never been adopted.

I'm too much to handle. I have too many problems. I started pacing the room, the room she had said could become mine. It was a beautiful room, at least four times bigger than the one at the orphanage.

I want her to adopt me, I really do! But I can't help but be insecure. I've spent my entire life not being enough. I've been manipulated by my own father to think that I'm not worth it, I'm a burden, I'm not enough and everything he did to me was my fault.

I should probably call Ally and Griffin. They're always the ones I go to for advice. I sat down on the bed, which was way softer and bigger than I was used to. Leaning against the headboard, I took a sweep over the room.

There was a walk-in-closet. A FUCKING WALK-IN-CLOSET Y'ALL! There was MY OWN FREAKING BATHROOM. A desk which was pretty empty, a bookshelf, some smaller shelves on the walls, a dresser, a nightstand, a plant, some random picture frames on the walls, a window with a view into the garden and backyard.

It was a nice room, but was it MY room? No, I don't think so. It didn't feel like my room. I felt like i was intruding into some rich family's house. Just the curtains probably cost more than my entire existence. Anyway, back to the task at hand. Calling Ally and Griffin.

I took my phone out of my pocket and found FaceTime. I invited both Ally and Griffin into a call and waited for both of them to answer. It was quite early for Griffin because he's obviously in the states, but her would usually always answer my calls, no matter what the time was.

I only called him in the middle of the night when it was important, so he usually answered. The only times I would call him at that time of day would be if I was having a panic attack of some sort, so he would usually answer.

The phone only rang a few times before both Ally and Griffin popped up on the screen. "Are you okay Novs?" Griffin asked, sounding a little tired, I must have woken him. "Yeah, I'm all good, well kind of."

"Sorry if I'm bothering any of you, but this is honestly kind of important", I apologized. "No worries, what's up?" Ally asked. "So the thing is, I'm at Lizzie's place right now and she... umm... she...", I stuttered, not sure how to say what I wanted to say.

"Just so we're on the same page here, with Lizzie we mean Elizabeth Olsen right?" Griffin asked. "Yeah, I'm at her place." "Okay, so what did she do?" Ally asked. "Well, she kind of asked to adopt me...", I mumbled.

"SHE WHAT?!" Griffin shouted but then quickly put a hand over his mouth, realizing his entire family was still asleep. "Fuck, but she what?!" Griffin exclaimed, a little more quiet this time. "I may or may not have had a panic attack in her arms, she calmed me down; which by the way, I have no clue how she did so easily, but then she basically said that she and Robbie had been considering it for a while."

"They even told Miss Riley so she's been here on a house inspection and they also prepped a room for me, I'm in it right now!" They were both speechless. My two talkative extroverted friends were lost for words, that might be the first time that has happened.

"That's amazing! What did you say?" Ally asked. "I haven't answered yet...", I mumbled. "Are you out of your mind!? Why not? That's like a dream scenario!" Griffin whisper-shouted, making sure not to wake his family again.

"I don't know, I just feel like she's doing this for publicity or something. You know I don't trust people easily. What if she just pities me or what if she'll forget about me in two months! I mean, she's an actress and then there's me, I'm just-"

"Stop right there! I don't want you finishing that sentence", Ally interrupted me. "You're amazing, talented, funny and smart. I've seen the way she looks at you, like you're the only one there, she cares about you, I can see it."

"I agree with Ally, we can't really make the decision for you, but my advice is to please please please, say yes. You deserve someone who loves you and who knows, she might be the one!" Griffin agreed with Ally.

"Yeah okay, I guess you've both got a point, but that doesn't mean I'm not scared about her forgetting about me. And, then there's Robbie. He's a great guy, I can tell, but you know how I get around men. I know he won't hurt me or anything, but I can help but be uncomfortable!"

"What if he notices that I'm not comfortable around him and then he doesn't want me?" I expressed my concerns. "I'm sure that won't happen. I know he's a good guy and I'm sure that when he sees how much Lizzie cares for you, he'll do what he can to make you comfortable with him. You have nothing to be worried about", Griffin reassured me.

"All right, fine. Thanks guys, you really helped a lot", I thanked both of them. "Of course mate!" "No worries Novs, we're always here for you", they both said at the same time. "Now don't waste any more time with us, go say yes! Go get adopted by FUCKING ELIZABETH OLSEN!" Griffin encouraged me.

"Okay okay, I will, I'll let you sleep Griffin, and I'll let you do whatever you want Al, thanks again!" I smiled before hanging up.

Lizzie's pov:

Nova had gone upstairs to her room, or what will hopefully become her room, to talk to her friends. As soon as I made it back downstairs, my mind started racing. What if she didn't want us to adopt her? What if she wanted nothing to do with me?

She had seemed so unsure when I had told her. Deep inside I knew it was her mind playing tricks on her. She had been manipulated into thinking she wasn't lovable or worth it. Which was not true at all. I had grown to love her so much in such a short amount of time.

Nova had quickly become one of the most important people in my life, and I had no clue why. I had only known her for a few weeks, and she was one of the first things on my mind in the morning and one of the last in the evening.

I could hear Nova's voice from upstairs, looks like she's on the phone with her friends. I couldn't make out what they were saying, so I flopped down on the couch.

I started running through the multiple possible scenarios in my head of Nova rejecting the offer. Before I could start getting really anxious about the situation, I heard the front door slam shut. Robbie was back home.

There was some rustling out in the hallway before he appeared in the doorway. His brows furrowed when he saw me, alone on the couch with my head in my hands. "What happened babe?" he asked, his voice laced with concern.

"I- I told her about us wanting to adopt her, and she's upstairs talking about it with her friends", I explained, my voice cracking. "Aww honey, I'm sure it'll be all right, just take a deep breath, we'll just have to wait until she comes back downstairs", Robbie came over and pulled me into his embrace.

We eventually sat down on the couch and he reassured me everything would be all right. Eventually, we heard a door upstairs open, and footsteps echoed down the stairs. I turned my head in the direction, and Nova came into view.

———————————————

Helloooooo!!!!
How are you?

I'm good, happy it's the weekend, it's been a long week, let me tell you.

Remember to take care of yourself, self-care is important! Take a walk, relax, forget about the world for a minute <3

Love, Frida xx