Chapter 55: "The shoulder"

⚠️TW:⚠️  minor injury

——————————————

"Good girl", I praised her (head out of the gutter). Luna was being a champ and we eventually got to the last combination. We slowed down to get the striding right, before I saw a stride and pushed her forwards.

She aced it. No problem. I saw the chance to speed up a bit towards the last fence, and she did a long one, absolutely flying over it. As soon as we hit the ground after the fence, I realized we had just done a clear round.

I raised my hands in the air, a grin spreading on my face. Luna got lots of pats, which she happily accepted. Smiling from ear to ear, I made my way out of the arena, only to be congratulated by the next rider.

I wished her good luck before trying to find "my squad", as Lizzie had named them. Ally was probably back at the trailer, so I focused on trying to find my squad. Why am I even calling them that? I don't know...

Anyway, they were standing where I left Lizzie and MK. Lizzie was quick to run towards me, slightly startling Luna. She backed up slightly, her ears alert. Lizzie froze, scared I was going to be thrown off again.

"It's fine Lizzie, you can come", I laughed. She slowly itched her way over, stroking Luna's neck before she reached me. "Sorry", she mumbled. "No worries, everything's fine."

"That was so cool! You just flew over the last fence! How can you gallop with no hands though? Isn't that unsafe? What if you lose control?" She started going into mum mode. "Then you grab the reins. It was in the moment. I haven't had a round that good in a while, I was just happy", I explained.

"Okay, as long as you are safe." "You're such a mum", I laughed, not realizing what I had just said. MK was the next to come up to me, also congratulating me on my round. Rose was sitting on Scarlett's shoulders again, and she started rambling about how cool I looked and how I looked like the people she had seen on TV.

I internally awed at her adorableness, she was too cute to be true. She continued rambling all the way until we got to the trailers, where Ally and her parents were waiting for us.

As the adrenaline from my showjumping wore off, my shoulder started feeling worse. I tried moving it and flinched. No one noticed, luckily. Lizzie would freak out.

"How was your round?" I asked Ally while getting off Luna, making sure not to move my shoulder.

"It was fine, got a clear round, but I was a bit too slow though, got a time penalty", she answered with a shrug, but happy with her round nonetheless. "Too bad, a clear round though! That's good!" "Thanks, what about you? They announced you over the speakers, so you must have been the star you always are."

"Are you talking to the girl who fell off in the warmup?" I joked. "But yeah, Luna was a champ, got a clear round, she flew over everything", I gushed over my amazing horse.

"You've done an amazing job with her. She's nothing like the horse she was when she came off the track. You're the one who deserves the credit."

I just smiled, too flustered to take the compliment. Rose was very intrigued by how I untacked Luna, so I talked her through it. "And then she'll get a carrot before she goes back in her stable", I explained, getting a carrot out of the trailer, handing it to Rose.

"Do you want to give it to her?" I offered. "Ya!" She squealed. "Okay, so if you break it into two, it'll be easier for you. Hold your palm really flat like this", I showed her my hand and she copied me.

"Yep! And then you put the carrot in your palm and give it to her." I gently held Rose's hand so that she didn't get bitten in the process. Rose giggled adorably as Luna gently took the carrot. "Again!" I laughed, giving her the rest of the carrot.

She did the same thing again, giggling just as much. "Goo' giwl", she praised Luna, giving her head a scratch. Rose then turned to Scarlett. "Did yah see what I did mama?! She ate dah cawwot!"

"She sure did honey", Scarlett smiled, picking her kid up. I put Luna in her stable before cleaning up with a little help from MK. "Thanks, it's nice to have someone who knows what they're doing", I joked, referring to Lizzie's previous attempts of helping me.

"Hey! I heard that!" I heard Lizzie shout from behind me. MK burst out laughing and it took everything in me to not do the same. "Sorry!"

We had somt time to kill before the cross-country. It was about 2pm and we were on at 6:30. Okay, that's actually a lot of time. Ally went to go spend some time with her parents, so I was stuck with my squad. Not that I'm complaining. "You hungry?" Lizzie asked me.

"A little, but I'll survive", I shrugged. "Nope, you're eating something", she decided, leaving no room to argue. "But-", I tried but was quickly shut down. "Nope, you're eating something, your body needs some sort of energy."

"Fine", I gave in, my shoulder hurting too much to argue about it. Lizzie grabbed my hand as we walked, giving it a little squeeze. I gave her a weak smile, it was all I could muster. "You okay?" I nodded. "Yeah, just tired I guess." I decided on leaving my shoulder out of this.

She would end up freaking out and maybe not letting me do the cross-country. I had done so well today, I kind of had to finish. I'd have to check my placing as soon as we got a bit closer to the venue where they had screens.

And sure enough, we passed a screen and my name was up top. MK was the first to notice, and gave me a pat on the back. "Good job", she smiled. "Thanks, I might still drop down though, there are still a few people left", I shrugged it off (without actually shrugging cus that would hurt).

"Oh take a compliment", MK teased me. "What are we talking about?" Lizzie questioned. "Nova is in first place so far", MK pointed to the screen. "It's yah!" Rose squealed from Scarlett's arms.

"Good job honey!" Lizzie sqeezed my shoulder. Unfortunately she decided on my bad shoulder. I flinched away from her, hissing in pain. "What's wrong bubba?" Lizzie's brows furrowed. "It's nothing", I tried dismissing her.

—————————————————

Aaaaanndd I'll just stop riiiiight there...

Hehe 😈

How are we doin' today?

Make sure you take care of yourself, have a great day <3

Love, Frida xx