Chapter 11. "Texting"

⚠️TW:⚠️ none, just some overthinking :)

------------------------------------------

Nova's pov:

After eating dinner with Miss Riley and the other kids, I retreated up to my room. I'm very lucky, I have my own room on the third floor of the orphanage. It's mostly because I'm the oldest and I've been here the longest, so Miss Riley decided I could have some privacy.

The other kids are fine, they're just a bit loud for me to handle sometimes. Hold on, did I ever introduce the other kids? I don't think I did. How did I not do that? You know what? It's fine, I'll just do it now, no biggie.

Okay, so I'm obviously the oldest, I'm 16. Then there's Jake, he's 13, we have Molly who's 11, Luke and Griffin who are both 9, Lucy who is 7 and Maya who is 6. So all in all, we're 7 kids.

I'm good friends with all of them, I just don't usually hang out with them. Although, I'll usually help them if the need help with something like homework.

Anyway, back to what I was doing. After eating dinner with everyone (except Jake and Molly because they had football practice and weren't here) I went upstairs to my room for some alone-time.

When I was sat on my bed, scrolling through my phone, I came across Lizzie's contact, and everything came back to me.

"I have a proposal for you. I like you and I think you're a very sweet girl, so would you maybe like to go out with me for lunch a day next week?"

"Are you sure? You're probably really busy and I don't want to be an inconvenience to you",

"Nova, I invited you, I really want to get to know you, but just know that there's no pressure and you're not an inconvenience to anyone, least of all me, okay?"

"Okay, I'll go out for lunch with you."

"Great, let me give you my number so that we can plan it."

I forgot. I have Elizabeth FREAKING Olsen's phone number. She said to shoot her a text. Should I do that? I mean, she's probably busy. But she said I should text her. I don't want to bother her though.

After eventually clicking on her contact, I wrote a message.

Lizzie <3

Hello! This is Nova, the girl from the barn!

Nope, I definitely can't write that, it makes me look like an idiot. I rewrote the message probably like 50 times, and I eventually ended up with this.

Hi! This is Nova, you told me to text you regarding
our lunch next week if you're still up for that :)

Yeah, that seems okay right? Should I send it? She told me to, but what if- You know what, screw it, I'm sending it, just press the goddamn send button Nova, 3... 2... 1... and send!

Okay, it's done, nothing you can do about it now Nova. Crap, did I write something wrong? What if I come off as rude or weird?

Why can't my brain just shut up?

I could feel my mind start to race, so I went on TikTok to try and take my mind off it. Surprise surprise, it didn't really work. Yeah, well maybe I was watching lots of weird and funny videos, but my mind was elsewhere.

It didn't take long for me to get a notification.

Lizzie <3

Hey! Of course we're still up for lunch!

Is there a specific day or time that fits best for you?

Wow, she actually answered. Now, for the next question, what do I answer?

I'm free anytime, so we can go whenever you're free :)

How does Tuesday at 12 sound? We could go
to Winston's Cafe if you want, they have great food

I've been there, the food truly is great. Tuesday at 12 it is

Great! Can't wait to see you again <3

Same :)

That went all right, right? I don't think I made a complete fool of myself so that's good.

I didn't really do much for the rest of the day, I just talked to Griffin for a bit before heading to the gym and going to bed.

-Time skip to Tuesday-

It's Tuesday. And I'm scared. I'm going out for lunch with Elizabeth today. I don't even know why I was so scared, I guess my social anxiety was getting the best of me. I had been stressing about it the whole morning and had barely even gotten anything done.

The barn work had taken me twice as long as usual, and I had finished all of three math problems out of the 20 I had to do today. Ally had been a champ, she had distracted me at the barn and helped me take my mind off what was happening today.

But, now that the clock was nearing 11, I had no one to distract me from the self-degrading thoughts circling my brain. Griffin was asleep, it was probably like 3 am in his timezone and Ally was at school, probably in the middle of some boring lecture.

Unlike me, Ally went to actual in-person school. I had never understood how she did it, online school is so much easier. Anyway, I was currently pacing my room, trying to find something to wear.

I had been texting Elizabeth for the past couple of days, and she had told me to wear something casual. What does that mean? It could mean anything. Should I go after my definition of casual clothing or after an award-winning actress's definition of casual attire?

In the end, I went for an oversized sweatshirt along with a pair of jeans and sneakers. That's good enough right? I think so.

Elizabeth had been really sweet for the past couple of days, she had checked in on me every day. Before I started school, I was always met with a "Good morning sweetheart <3", or a "How are you feeling today honey?"

Before I went to bed, she'd send me a "good night :)" or a "sweet dreams". She actually seemed like she cared. But then again, that's always what it seems like at first.

As the clock hit 11:30, I figured it was time to leave. I grabbed my phone and wallet before heading downstairs. As I passed Miss Riley's office, I gently knocked on the door.

-------------------------------

Hiya! How are you doing? I'm back at school after Easter break and I'm wishing I was still with my grandparents, I don't want to be at school rn, it's too much for me to handle. 

So yeah, I guess that's why I'm updating this while in class. 

I want you to try and take care of yourself today. Stay hydrated, try and eat a little something. I know it's hard, but you'll feel better if you eat something, you deserve to <3 

Love, Frida xx