Chapter 21: "But why?"

Lizzie's pov:

"Your life has been messed up. I don't know the details but I know you haven't had it easy. You deserve someone who loves you as a parent should, someone whose shoulder you can cry on, and someone you can come to for advice or someone to talk to. This might be the wrong time to say this, but I feel like you deserve to know."

Nova had raised her head and was now looking at me with those gorgeous crystal blue eyes of hers. Okay Lizzie, here goes nothing...

"Umm... so before I start, just know there's no pressure and no matter what you answer, it's completely your decision."

"What are you saying? This seems serious. Have I done something wrong? I'm so sorry-" Nova started nervously rambling before I cut her off. "Hey! Stop rambling!"

"You haven't done anything wrong, I promise you", I reassured her. "Robbie and I have been thinking about this ever since I met you. You're a very sweet girl and you deserve a loving home. 

We want you to have someone you trust fully, which is why we would love to adopt you."

"We want it to be fully your decision, and no matter what you answer, I'll continue taking care of you as much as you let me. Just know that there's no pressure and it's completely your decision. I know that you feel like you don't need anyone or that no one wants you, but that's not true."

"I love you so much, and I would love to adopt you. Don't feel obligated to answer right away, I know it's a lot to take in, but just know that the offer always stands", I ranted. 

Nova looked at me, having stayed silent the entire time I had rambled. Only now did she speak up. "Are you serious?" She asked doubtfully. "Yes I am, I wanted to wait until Robbie was here as well before I told you, but this seemed like the right time."

"And yes, we're both completely serious about adopting you," I added. "Does Miss Riley know?" She asked me. "She does, she was here a couple of days ago with your social worker for a house inspection", I told her. 

"Wait, you've talked with my social worker already? So you've decided on adopting me without telling me?!" Nova asked. "No, don't think that! I have talked with your social worker, but nothing has been decided. We want it to be your decision. We want to adopt you and give you a forever home, but if that's not anything you want, we won't do anything", I explained. 

"So I'm not adopted? Nothing has been decided?" Nova asked just to clarify. "No, you're not adopted yet, that's up to you", I smiled. "Why are you letting me decide? That's not usually how people do it when they adopt kids", Nova pointed out doubtfully. 

"We want it to be your decision because it's your life we're talking about here. It concerns you, and therefore you should have a say in the matter", I explained. "Also, you're 16 and you should have that amount of control over your own life." "That's nice of you, I respect that", Nova mumbled. 

"Can I have some time to think about it?" Nova asked nervously, almost scared I would say no. "Of course! I'll wait for as long as you want me to", I assured her. "Is it okay if I go and make a phone call, talk to some friends about it?" She asked me. 

"Of course you can! You don't have to ask me! How about I show you to the room that could potentially become yours if you want it to and then you can have some privacy?" I suggested. "You already have a room ready for me?" Nova asked me with wide eyes. 

"Yes we do, we haven't done much to it, it's kind of plain at the moment, we wanted you to have a chance to add your own vibe to it, but yes, we have a room ready for you. Do you want to see it?"

"Sure." We stood up from the couch and I showed her up the stairs and to her room, showing her mine and Robbie's rooms in the process. "And then this will hopefully become your room, you can go ahead and open the door", I gestured to the door to her room which was currently closed. 

After looking over at me for reassurance, she took a deep breath before placing her hand on the door handle and gently pushing the door open. Her breath hitched when she saw her room. "Is- Is this mine?" she stuttered.

"Yup, all yours. There's a walk-in closet over there, and a bathroom just through that door", I showed her. "All this space, just for me?" She clarified. "Yes, it's all yours and if you decide to stay here with us, you can do whatever you want with it."

"Wow... umm.. t- thank you", Nova stuttered. "You're very welcome, I'll go ahead and give you some privacy. I'll be in the living room, just call for me or come down if you need me", I smiled.

"Can I give you a hug?" I asked, not wanting to overstep any boundaries. Nova nodded and I didn't hesitate to pull her close to me. "I love you so much, but let this be your decision okay?"

"Okay, thank you so much", Nova mumbled. "Of course, have fun talking to your friends.  As I said I'll be in the living room", I said, kissing her temple before leaving the room, closing the door behind me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It's happening!!! Finally!!! Lizzie popped the question!! That makes it sound like she proposed lol xD

How are you doing? I'm actually having a really good couple of days for once! I woke up today feeling refreshed (which has never happened before) and I'm just exeling at my hobbies

Remember to stay hydrated, hydration is the key to more than you think, not just staying alive. If you have any questions about anything, want to talk, or just want a new friend, don't hesitate to shoot me a message :)

Also, go check out @hadeshellscape 's new book, they are making book covers, gifs and profile pictures for people, so I'd appreciate it if you took 2 minutes out of your day to check it out <3

They also actually made my new book cover for my professor story I'm trying to start writing, so if you want to go see what the cover will look like, feel free

Love, Frida xx