Chapter 61: "Memories"

⚠️TW:⚠️ sexual assault, death, flashbacks

———————————

The next  week was fine. Nothing major happened. Some panic attacks and nightmares, some movie nights, some time spent at the barn, you get the     gist. Okay, the nightmares and panic attacks had  increased like they always do this time of year.

Why Nova, you might ask yourself. What's happening? Well, my birthday is approaching. That's   good right though? Wrong. I hate my birthday, and    believe me, I have my reasons. I don't think Lizzie and Robbie know my birthday, and I  think it's best if it just stays that way.

- 10 years ago, September 17th (Nova's birthday)-

"Dad! When is momma coming?"

"She'll be here in a minute honey, she just went out to get some last minute supplies for your birthday darling", my dad patted my head reassuringly.   "She'll be here."

-

"Dad, it's been a long time, when is she coming, I want to open my presents!"

"She'll be here in a minute okay?"

-

"Dad! Your phone is ringing, maybe it's momma!"

"Thank you darling, just wait a minute, let me take this call okay?"

-

He took the call and his face drained of colour.

"Dad! Who is it?"

"I-It's the hospital. Your mom has been in an accident. Come on, we need to go."

-

"Mama!" I sobbed, holding her lifeless, cold hand. "Please wake up!"

My dad was sat on the other side. His eyes were empty as he stared at what had been the love of his life.

-

- A few months later -

"Come here you brat!" My father yanked my hand, pulling me upstairs.

-

"Dad, p-please stop! Y-You're hurting me, d-dad!"

"Oh shut up!"

-

- 4 years later , September 17th (Nova's birthday)-

"We are gathered here today for the trial of Mark Jackson, the father of 9-year old Novella Knight. You, Mr. Jackson, are pressed with charges for abuse and sexual assault of a minor."

-

"Guilty."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

It was 4 am. On September 17th. I had just been woken up from a nightmare.  My father was beating me, again, before he started unzipping his pants.  I could feel everything. The tears streaming down my   face, the angry  red marks from his bruising grip, his dirty hands on me.

I needed to get out.

The memories of the past decade were flooding my brain.

Haphazardly putting on some sweatpants and a hoodie, I hurried downstairs and out the front door. Tears stung my eyes at the sight of the new,    unfamiliar street. I took what I knew to be the shortest way to my destination, picking up speed until I was practically sprinting along the sidewalk.

After what felt like forever, I got there. Thank you underground for not opening until 5am.

Rows upon rows with gravestones,  candles and flowers littering the  stones. I slowed down  to a walk,  taking the all so familiar way to  the gravestone I had  sat by for so many hours.

The entire graveyard way empty. Not that  weird, considering it was 4:30 am on some random weekday. I flopped in front of the familiar, moss-grown stone. One small candle was stood in front of it.

From Christmas last year. It was all I  could afford at the time. I knew flowers would be a waste of money as  they would die in a weeks time, so  a candle seemed like the best option.

Savannah Knight

1982 - 2009

Mother, wife, friend, daughter

"You will be missed dearly by those around you"

"Umm, h-hi mama", I mumbled, my voice cracking. "Sorry for being here so early, I just couldn't breathe in there, I needed to get out. I don't really want to talk right now, so is it okay i if I just sit here? "I spoke like I was expecting an answer.

Sitting there in an awkward silence, the memories started coming back. All the memories of my birthdays which for some reason seemed to be my unlucky day. My mum died on my birthday, every year on my birthday my father would give me an extra beating, I had to testify against my father on my birthday....

I couldn't help it. Tears started streaming down my face, there was no controlling them. Time ticked by, and I didn't move an inch. I couldn't bring myself to. I didn't want to face the world today. It was too much.

Ally and Miss Riley knew where I was anyway, as I always went here on my birthday. So I guess mu- I mean Lizzie would find me soon enough as well. Fuck, I want to call her mum. My birth mother was always mama to me, so Lizzie is starting to feel like my mum.

I want to call her, but I'm scared. I don't want to replace my mama, and I'm also scared about her reaction.

I'll be honest, I didn't think about much other than that. My brain was pretty much empty, which as an overthinker is pretty unusual. You'd think it's great, but it's really not. The thoughts that are there are amplified, and they become so much louder.

And as memories was all that circled my brain, I just wanted it to stop. And as I sat there, tears silently streaming down my face, my head elsewhere, the hours ticked by.

-------------------------------------

Heyyoooo!!

The drama is starting... how will Lizzie react when Nova is gone??

Stay safe, take care of yourself <3

Love, Frida xx