Chapter 14: "A little chat"

⚠️TW:⚠️ none xx

————————————

Lizzie's pov:

"Miss Riley, this is Elizabeth Olsen, Lizzie, this is Miss Riley, the owner of the orphanage", Nova introduced us.

Miss Riley came down the stairs and hugged Nova before turning to me. "It's nice to meet you ma'am", I smiled while stretching my hand out for her to shake. "Likewise", she answered, shaking my hand.

"Why don't we go to my office and have a little chat? Novella, Maya needs help with her homework, why don't you go help her before you try and finish your own work?"

"Yeah, sure, I can help Maya. It was nice having lunch with you Lizzie, thank you for inviting me", she smiled at me before racing down the hall to where I assume this Maya is.

"My office is up this way", Miss Riley guided me up to her office. She opened a door and motioned for me to go inside.

"Have a seat", she smiled warmly, motioning for me to sit in the chair in front of her desk. I suddenly felt nervous, like I had been called up to the principals office.

"So let's get straight to the point, why the sudden interest in hanging out with Nova?" Miss Riley asked me, leaning back in her chair and looking at me over the edge of her glasses.

"She's a sweet girl", I said simply. "That's true, but for some reason I feel like that's not the whole reason", she noted. I sighed.

"You're right, there is another reason", I started, not really sure how to vocalize this. "I umm... My husband and I were thinking of maybe adopting Nova, we've been looking into it for a while and when I met Nova at the barn I just kind of felt like she was the right one", I explained.

"Wait, really?" Miss Riley asked with wide eyes and I nodded. "You're aware of the responsibility that comes with adopting right? You can't just dispose of her when you get bored or she becomes difficult, this is a permanent thing", she said.

"Yes, both my husband and I are very aware of this and we're sure this is what we want. She reminds me a lot of myself and I've really grown to love her in a short period of time, I want to give her a forever home, even if she ends up moving out in two years time", I kept on explaining that I was serious about this.

"Have you told her?" Miss Riley asked me. "I haven't, I want to form a bond with her first and not overwhelm her with the information, I also want her to be comfortable enough around me for it to be her decision in the end. Living with me is not a normal or easy life, I don't want her to feel pressured to say yes. I'm an actress and my schedule is very unpredictable, I'm often overseas and paparazzi is a frequent thing", I told her.

She just smiled, not saying anything. "What is it? Did I say something?" I asked. "You did. I can see it in your eyes, you really care about her, and the fact that you want it to be her decision just proves my theory, you'd be a great mother to her."

"However, I would like to both meet your husband and do a home inspection to make sure you're both legit about this before discussing this with Nova", Miss Riley explained. "Yeah, that makes sense, we can do it whenever you have time for it", I smiled, happy this was going somewhere.

"How does tomorrow sound? I can get on a call with her social worker and we can meet you both at your home? Would that work for the two of you?" She asked me while scribbling something on a piece of paper.

"That works, what time are you thinking?" I asked. "Maybe around 12? That way we can have a little chat", she suggested. "Yeah, 12 works, I'll let my husband know so that he can take a day off work", I smiled.

"Great, here's my number, just text me the address and we'll be there", she informed me. "Thank you so much, you have no idea how much this means to me", I thanked her. "Oh it's nothing, all I want is for Novella to find the right home for her, and you seem pretty perfect if I do say so myself", she told me with a smile on her face.

I'm internally freaking out. Did she just say that I would be perfect for Nova?! I think she did! Wow, just try not to cry Liz, keep it together, act professional!

"Thank you! That really means a lot! I'll be out of your hair now, have a great day ma'am", I smiled standing up. "Of course! I loved having this talk with you! Feel free to hang out with Novella any time, she really seems to like you, she never lets down her walls that fast with anyone, you seem special."

I left the orphanage with the biggest smile on my face, and that smile never left my face as I walked back to my car by the cafe. The people I passed probably thought I won the lottery or something, and frankly, that's what it felt like.

Robbie and I might be able to adopt Nova! It took everything in me to not skip down the sidewalk. The paparazzi caught a few shots of me when I walked through the most crowded places in between the orphanage and the cafe, but I couldn't care less.

I might be able to give Nova the loving forever home she deserved, the paparazzi were the least of my worries right now. The whole ride home was filled with just as much joy, I sang my heart out to Beyoncé with the windows rolled down, which is something I never have the confidence to do.

————————————

Is this maybe getting somewhere? Or will Nova's past prevent her from living the "perfect" life?

Hey 👋 How are you all doing? I'll be honest, I almost forgot to update today (whoops hehe) but here's your update, enjoy :)

We take care of ourselves here, don't forget that. Make sure to eat and drink something, and take some time to relax and destress if you need it <3

I'm always here if you need someone to talk to, or if you just want a new friend to chat to about random shit.

Love, Frida xx