Chapter 37: "Chicken soup"

⚠️TW:⚠️ none :)

-------------------------------------------------

Lizzie's pov:

"Can you tell me where the food is?" I asked her. "In the fridge, in some sort of pot I think", Nova said, feeling a bit better after the water.

"I'll come with you", Nova decided, standing up on surprisingly steady legs. "Are you sure? I think it would be better for you to just lay down for a while." I think you can tell I wasn't too sure about this idea.

"I'll be fine, I can just sit and watch you if that makes you feel any better", she suggested.

Okay, that was a bit better. "Fine, but if you feel dizzy, you have to go lay down ok?" I made sure she understood. Nova nodded, shooting me a reassuring smile to show that she was okay. "And you're drinking more water, here, drink this and then I'll stop pestering you about hydration", I suggested, handing her the water bottle still in my hand.

She accepted it, but not without a snarky comment. "You're such a mum", she mumbled, thinking I couldn't hear her. Weirdly, the comment made me warm inside. She called me a mum. I would never have thought that word would make me feel this way, but it did.

I noticed I had frozen in place with a stupid smile plastered on my face, while Nova had already walked over to the kitchen. I quickly followed her and found her sitting by the kitchen table as I asked.

"Took you long enough", she teased me. I just laughed. I started warming up the food in the fridge, which was some sort of soup. It smelled pretty chickeny (yeah that's not a word) so I assumed it was some sort of chicken soup.

Nova remained sat at the table, on her phone, taking a sip of water now and then. I looked over at her every once in a while as I warmed the soup up, just to check if she was okay. Her fainting on me out of nowhere wouldn't look good, especially as I'm trying to adopt this kid.

Well, she's not a kid, she's 16, but still.

The soup was soon warm, so I asked Nova where the bowls were. She pointed to the cupboard, so I pulled two bowls out after Nova insisted I eat some too. "Since you're practically forcing me to eat, I think it's only fair you eat something too", she told me, leaving no room for arguments.

"Okay, whatever you say ma'am", I joked, getting a little giggle out of her. I poured the soup into the two bowls and found some spoons before sitting down beside her. "Here you go", I smiled. "I would have loved to make you something, but I don't really want you to have to go somewhere right now, so this will have to do."

"No worries, Miss Riley's chicken soup is good", she smiled, tucking in. We sat there in comfortable silence, eating our soup. It was a good soup, I'll have to say. Soon, we heard some footsteps and two young girls appeared in the doorway.

"Lucy and Maya, hi! How are you?" Nova asked them. Okay, so they were two of the other kids here, Nova had told me about them when we went for lunch. "Where's Miss Riley? We're hungry", the oldest of them mumbled, shooting a cautious look my way. She other of the two just looked at me with wide eyes.

"She's out, but Lizzie here has been very nice and she has warmed some of Miss Riley's chicken soup, so you can have some of that if you want", Nova suggested. They nodded, and Nova was about to stand up when I stopped her.

"You stay here, I'll do it. You have to rest", I told her sternly but in a soft tone, leaving no room to argue. "You two can have a seat and I'll get you some soup", I smiled at the two girls. They both sat down and I stood up to get them both a bowl of soup.

After getting two bowls of soup and spoons for the girls, I brought them back and sat them in front of them. "Do you two maybe want some water?" I asked and they both nodded shyly. I shot them a warm smile before getting them some water as well.

I sat down and gave the girls a smile. "Who are you?" The oldest of them asked warily. "She's the woman who might adopt me. Remember the one I told you about?" Nova said. "Lizzie?" The girl asked. "Yup, that's her right there", Nova smiled.

"It's nice to meet you ma'am", the oldest girl said. "Please, call me Lizzie, and it's wonderful to meet you too", I smiled warmly at them. "You're really pwetty", the youngest girl whispered in awe.

For some reason, I blushed and of course, Nova noticed. She had to stifle a laugh to avoid spraying soup on all of us. "Thank you hun, you're very pretty too", I smiled and she lit up. "Really?" She asked in disbelief.

"Yeah!"

She just smiled and looked down at her soup again. We continued eating while Nova made some small talk with the girls, asking about their homework, friends, and stuff like that.

When we were done, I collected everyone's bowls and washed them in the sink, much to Nova's protest. The two girls disappeared, probably to go play somewhere.

Nova was looking a lot better. She wasn't as pale and her eyes were more focused as if she wasn't dizzy anymore. "How are you feeling?" I asked her when I was done washing up. "I'm doing a bit better, thank you", she smiled.

I looked into her eyes for a moment, searching for any sign of a lie but I didn't find anything.

We walked downstairs and she laid down on the bed. She said she was fine and that she'd just lay there for a while and relax, so I was free to leave. She would be fine. At least that's what she said.

She told me she was going to stay here overnight one last time, and that we could come and sign the papers tomorrow.

I was a bit hesitant to leave her, so I made her text me every hour to show she was okay. She also had to call me if she started feeling worse again. And she did. When I got home, I got regular messages from her, stating she was fine.

—————————————

And helloooooooooooooo

How are you all doing?

I'm okay, I had my first day back at work after Covid. I'm still not 100% but enough to work. It was an incredibly stressful day with a ton of customers so I'm really tired now. My boss also told me to take breaks before she left. Did I do that? No. I didn't really have time xD

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. I know it's summer and all, so try and get outside to enjoy the weather which is hopefully okay. If you live in any of the areas hit by a heatwave, stay cool and hydrated, I hope you're okay. Heatwaves suck and they can be dangerous, so stay safe, please <3

Love, Frida xx