Chapter 45: "The picture"

⚠️TW:⚠️ nightmare, mentions of self-harm

—————————————

Deep breaths Nova.

Look at the picture.

Everything is fine.

She's in heaven.

She's happy.

Tears were streaming down my face as I traced my finger over the old picture. The nightstand lamp made the glass slightly reflective, so I was able to make out the outline of my pathetic self. I was slowly calming down, the sight of my mum helped.

I heard distant footsteps, but I didn't process them until it was too late. My door creaked open and in stepped a sleepy Lizzie, in her pyjamas. I quickly scrambled to hide the picture. What if she took it from me?

Lizzie came over to me after gently shutting the door. "It's okay, I didn't see it. Do you want me to close my eyes so that you can put it away?" She asked softly. "But if you're scared I'll take it from you, please don't be. It's clearly important to you, I wouldn't dream of taking something like that from you hun", Lizzie told me.

All I managed to do was nod. Should I show her? It would save me a lot of stress if she allowed me to keep it. I decided to take the chance. 3 am is maybe not the best time to be making decisions like this, but here I am.

I took a deep breath before slowly handing Lizzie the picture frame face down. She looked at me questioningly. "Are you sure?" I nodded confidently. She had to live with the fact that I had a mother before her.

Lizzie smiled at me before slowly turning the picture frame around. Once she saw it, her face broke into a smile. Her thumb hovered over 3-year-old me and I saw her eyes get glossy. "Is it you?" Was all she asked.

"Yeah", I whispered. "You were adorable. Still are."

"And who is this?" Lizzie asked gently, her finger now hovering over my mum. "That's- That's my mum", I told her hesitantly. "Good or bad memories?" Lizzie asked me. "Good", was all I managed to say.

"Well, now I know who you get your beauty from", Lizzie smiled, looking first at the picture, then at me. It was true. I was a spitting image of my mum. The same hair, the same eyes. I had her freckles. Even our noses were the same.

That might be why my dad couldn't stand me. I was a constant reminder of what he lost. His first and only love. He couldn't stand looking at me because all he could see was his dead wife.

So, I ended up as a punching bag instead. His solution was beating me until I was so bruised he couldn't see my mum in me anymore.

I was brought out of my train of memories by Lizzie. "What was her name?" "Savannah. Savannah Knight", I said quietly. "A beautiful name for a beautiful woman", Lizzie smiled, handing the picture back.

"I see why it means so much to you, thank you for showing it to me, it means a lot", she said with a smile. I put it on the nightstand for now. Lizzie had made me forget about the nightmare I just had. But now, it all came tumbling back.

I felt my eyes become teary again. God dammit! Keep it together Nova! But I couldn't. I was still sensitive and emotional from my activities in the bathroom after my shower, and the nightmare on top didn't help.

Now, normally I would probably just break down and cry myself to sleep only to be woken by another nightmare. But Lizzie was here. "Aww baby, how about we try and go back to sleep yeah?" Lizzie suggested.

I quickly shook my head. I didn't want to sleep. "Why not bubba?" Lizzie was talking to me like a child, but weirdly I didn't have anything against it. It was nice to get some comfort for once.

My voice failed me, everything I could do was shake my head again as tears trickled down my cheeks. "Did you have a nightmare?" I nodded, burying my head in Lizzie's chest. "Aww I'm sorry, do you want to talk about it?"

I shook my head once again. It was too painful, I couldn't even comprehend talking to someone about it. "That's okay, but you have to go back to sleep. Would you feel better if I stayed or we went back to my room?"

No.

You can't sleep in the same bed as her.

You only have shorts on.

She'll see the bandages.

She can't know.

She shouldn't even be here.

It was just a stupid nightmare.

You're not a child, you should be able to handle that.

You're weak.

You don't need anyone to take care of you.

I shook my head. "Why not honey? You need to sleep." I didn't know what to say, so my brain came up with the most pathetic response. "I-I'm not wearing any pants", I whispered. "I don't mind bubba, but I can fetch you some shorts if that makes you feel better?" Lizzie suggested.

Little did she know I was already wearing shorts. "Umm, do you mind giving me the sweatpants over there?" I asked quietly. "Of course not", Lizzie smiled, letting go of me and standing up. I let out an involuntary whine at the lack of comfort, which made Lizzie smile.

"Just getting your sweats darling, here you go." I thanked her with an attempt at a smile. Do you want me to stay here or do you want us to go to my room?" Lizzie asked me. "Stay", I whispered, barely audible.

"Okay, I'll give you some privacy to put those on", she gestured to the sweats in my hands "-and I'll go get my phone really quickly", Lizzie added before going to her room.

I put them on as quickly as I could, or as quickly as I could muster, giving the pain lifting my legs left me in. Trying not to mess up the bandages, I eventually got them on, right before Lizzie knocked on my door.

——————————————

Helloooo my lovely people!!

I know all of you want Lizzie to find out and comfort Nova, but I think it'll happen in the next chapter...

Hold on, I'll go check

*actually goes and checks*

*comes back*

*ahem*

Okay, she kinda finds out but the fluff doesn't come until chapter 47 🤷‍♀️

Stay safe and take care of yourselves, love you all <3

Love, Frida xx