Chapter 85:"Emily"

⚠️TW:⚠️ more of the fUn sTufF

------------------------------

She hadn't gotten better from walking, which means it wasn't a particularly mild case. The vet would have to come and administer fluids to her, to hopefully help her recover. I was deep in my thoughts, but I did notice mum approaching us, phone in hand.

"Your mom will be here as soon as she can", mum informed Ally. "Mr Miller is obviously away at the sale, so he has no method for getting here any time soon. But he sends his best wishes and we are to update him as often as possible."

I nodded. "C-Can someone go out and look for the vet? She should be here soon, it's been 15 minutes." What if she didn't come? What if she didn't find the way? What if the vet's car ended up breaking down?

"I'll go. I'd have no clue what to do if something urgent happened. Call me if you need anything okay?" So mum went outside, and back to the waiting we went. Luna wasn't showing any signs of improvement, and even though I knew that the chances of her getting bad really fast were low, they were never zero.

"D-Do you promise to stay?" I asked Ally, uncertainty wavering in my voice. I had never been good with medical stuff, whether it was for horses or for humans. I hated needles, and the thought of having to be in an ambulance terrified me.

"I promise. I'll stay for as long as you do, if not even longer." Ally was always there for me. No matter what. "I promise I'll be here for you, no matter what you need."

And all of a sudden, when we walked past the entrance for probably the hundredth time, I saw mum and someone else walk swiftly towards us. "Hi! I'm Emily, I would say that it's nice to see you, I just wish it was under different circumstances."

She shook both mine and Ally's hands, but when she went to talk again, Luna's legs seemed to give out as she tried laying down again, finally having a break from all the walking. "Get her back up", Emily ordered, and I practically had to force Luna to stand back up.

"I know Lulu, I'm sorry." I rubbed her neck as Emily continued talking. "I'll have a little check over Luna here, and then I'll see what I can do." For the next part, she looked me in the eyes, sensing I needed to hear it. I wasn't exactly calm, but I was trying my hardest to keep it together for Luna.

"I promise I will do what I can for Luna. I will try my very hardest to help her."

Next, she had a look over Luna while asking us, well, me some questions. Had she ever colicked before? Did she have any health issues? What do we feed her? How much? How old is she? When were we last here to check on her? How long had we been walking her for? What were her symptoms?

"Okay, so you should be thankful you got here when you did", she directed at Ally. "If you could go put her back in her stable, I'll go grab my stuff. Would one of you mind coming with to show me the way?"

Mum went with Emily as Ally and I led Luna back into her stable. We kept the door open, and I didn't dare to take her headcollar off, in fear of her laying down again. "Within minutes, mum and Emily were back, carrying some stuff.

"So, your dear Luna here has impaction colic, which is essentially an accumulation of feed or other dry matter that causes an obstruction or blockage in the gastrointestinal tract. So, basically, food has gotten stuck in her stomach and is blocking the way in her digestive system. Since horses can't throw up, the only way for it to go is out the back. I'm going to administer her some fluids along with painkillers, to hopefully break up the blockage."

I just nodded and watched as Emily first gave Luna an IV for the pain meds, before quite literally stuffing a tube through her nose and into her stomach which we could pump fluids through.

She then set up two drips, one with the pain meds and the other one with fluids. "Now, I'd recommend going and getting her a nice bucket of water so that if she does want to drink, she can. Don't give her any sort of food until this is over, and make sure she doesn't lie down. I'll stay here for a bit so that in case she does get worse, I'm here", Emily informed us.

Ally ran to get a bucket of water while I stayed sitting in the doorway to her stable. Mum went to go and get a blanket for me, as it was clear I wasn't going to move any time soon. Ally then came back as her mum arrived, concern evident on her face.

The last time one of our horses had colicked was last year, when Crystal had it. It wasn't that bad, but we were still pretty worried. Luna was looking a lot like Crystal had, and she was currently dozing off due to the pain meds.

"Nova baby, I got you a blanket." Mum was back. After shooting Ally's mum a small hi, she came over to me and draped the blanket over me. "Do you want a chair to sit on hun? I think it would be more comfortable for you seeing as we are going to be here for a while."

I didn't answer her, I just continued staring at Luna, checking for any change in her behaviour. Anything could happen if I just took my eyes off her for a moment. Sighing, mum gave me a kiss on the top of my head before walking over to where the vet and Ally's mum were sitting.

After half an hour, we had changed her fluid bags once, and Emily decided it was safe for her to leave. She had shown us how to change them, and she had left a few with us. "Keep me updated yeah? Tell me if anything changes and I'll be here in a heartbeat."

We said our goodbyes, well everyone but me did. I couldn't find it in me to move my body, or my gaze, for that matter. She had to be okay. And now the vet wasn't here. What if she suddenly got really bad? Would she make it here in time?

My head started spinning and my vision suddenly got blurry. What. The. Fuck.

That's never happened before. Umm?

The next thing I knew was a salty taste in my mouth. That's weird... Did I just accidentally inhale Luna's salt lick? Nah, that's impossible. I was sitting on the floor, right?

Something wet was running down my face. Wait, tears? Where the fuck did they come from? I tried getting back to my senses, and suddenly it all hit me like a freight train. I couldn't breathe. Fuck.

Panic overcame me as I wasn't able to pull air into my lungs. No. I couldn't die. Not now. I had to be there for Luna. A new set of tears sprung free as my chest heaved. Still nothing. My lungs started hurting from the lack of oxygen and I clawed at my neck in search of something that was restricting my breathing.

Black dots restricted my vision more than the tears already did, which only made my panic increase. I was about to black out. What if I ended up dying from the lack of oxygen?

-----------------------------------

Well this is progressing nicely :)

I am actually having the time of my life writing this. So is my friend, who I have dedicated the character of Emily (the vet) to. So this one is for you ig Lily x

How are we doing today everyone?

Stay safe, I love you all so much <3

Love, Frida xx