Chapter 56: "Freaking out"

⚠️TW:⚠️ injury

---------------------------------------------

"You okay?" I nodded. "Yeah, just tired I guess." I decided on leaving my shoulder out of this.

She would end up freaking out and maybe not letting me do the cross-country. I had done so well today, I kind of had to finish. I'd have to check my placing as soon as we got a bit closer to the venue where they had screens.

And sure enough, we passed a screen and my name was up top. MK was the first to notice, and gave me a pat on the back. "Good job", she smiled. "Thanks, I might still drop down though, there are still a few people left", I shrugged it off (without actually shrugging cus that would hurt).

"Oh take a compliment", MK teased me. "What are we talking about?" Lizzie questioned. "Nova is in first place so far", MK pointed to the screen. "It's yah!" Rose squealed from Scarlett's arms.

"Good job honey!" Lizzie sqeezed my shoulder. Unfortunately she decided on my bad shoulder. I flinched away from her, hissing in pain. "What's wrong bubba?" Lizzie's brows furrowed. "It's nothing", I tried dismissing her.

"Don't..." Lizzie warned me, giving me her best mom look. "Does your shoulder hurt?" She asked. "A little", I said sheepishly. "From your fall?" I nodded. "All right, we're taking a look at it. Everyone, you just go and get something to eat while we have a look at the shoulder okay?"

We split ways as I let Lizzie lead me to the nearest bathroom. "Are you sure you're okay?" Lizzie was becoming more worried. "I'm fine, I've been through worse", I tried assuring her so that she wouldn't completely freak out.

We did eventually find the bathrooms, and luckily, they were pretty big so we had some space. "Are you okay with taking this off so that I can take a look at your shoulder?" Lizzie asked me, gesturing to what I was wearing on my top half.

"S-Sure", I said hesitantly. "I just want to make sure your shoulder is all right", Lizzie assured me. With that, I took of both the jacket and the showshirt I was wearing, leaving me in my bra.

"Aw baby", Lizzie sighed, her eyes fixed on my shoulder. It was a little bruised, but nothing compared to some of the falls I've had. "Okay, that's not too bad", I sighed in relief. "Not bad?! Baby it's bruised! Can you move it?"

With a little difficulty, I managed to move my shoulder, showing that nothing was broken or out of place. "See, nothing is broken, it's fine!"

"We clearly have different views on what's considered 'fine'", Lizzie sighed. "Looks like we do."

"Do you still want to do the cross-country? Or are you still able to?" She asked me worriedly. "Yeah of course! I'm leading, I can't not do the cross-country because my shoulder hurts!"

"Bubba are you sure? I mean, you know your body best, but I'm just worried..."

"I'm sorry, but I'm fine Lizzie. It looks worse than it feels", I tried assuring her. "Okay, if you're sure... retire if it gets too much, I don't want you hurting yourself just to win okay?"

"Oh so you've learnt what retiring means?" I teased her. "I have. It took MK a good while to explain it to me. I was like, retiring? Isn't she a bit young for that?"

"I can totally imagine you saying that", I said, laughing at the photo now engraved into my head of Lizzie thinking I would be physically retiring. "Okay stop laughing, but seriously, don't push yourself okay?" I nodded, showing I understood.

"Thank you for not freaking out..." I mumbled, barely audibly. "Of course bubba! I imagine it's not very fun for you and it just makes it worse, so I tried to stay as calm as possible. But just know that I don't care any less because I'm not freaking out okay?"

"Can I ask why you don't like me freaking out?" Lizzie asked softly. "I don't know... I guess it makes me feel bad. You're hurting and stressing out because of me. Also, if I'm already kind of freaking out, I need a secure place to come, someone who knows how to handle the situation. Someone who can be there for me and calm me down", I started ranting while anxiously playing with my hands.

She didn't say anything and I anxiously looked up, only to be met with a soft smile on Lizzie's face. "Thank you for trusting me enough to say that. I promise I'll be your secure place if you let me. I'll try not to freak out okay? Even though it's hard. Every time you get hurt, or almost hurt for that matter; my stomach twists and I feel like my breath gets stuck in my throat", Lizzie told me with glossy eyes.

"My first instinct is to check on you and make sure you're okay. And I happen to freak out. It's how my brain reacts. It starts overthinking every possible scenario. But I'll try and minimize it okay? Me being calm makes it a lot easier for both parts."

I shuffled forward to give Lizzie a hug which I ended up melting into. "Thank you", I mumbled. "Of course hun, I'm here for you no matter what." We made our way out of the bathroom, hands linked, to try and find everyone else.

We found them at a grill stand. They had bought hotdogs and saved two for us. "Here you go, we bought you guys hotdogs. You all right Nova?" MK asked. "Thanks, and yeah I'm fine, it's not that bad, just a bit bruised."

MK looked at Lizzie for confirmation and she nodded. "It's not really bad. I'll have her go get it checked out after cross-country though." "Hey! Why did you have to look at Lizzie for confirmation?" I whined playfully.

"Because I don't trust you. I feel like you'd say you were fine even when you weren't", MK shrugged like it was the most obvious thing in the world. "Okay that's probably true", I said sheepishly.

We spent the next couple of hours eating and watching the rest of the showjumping. I had time to watch Ally's round before I had to go get ready, so we walked down to the cross-country. We found a good spot right by both the start and finish.

It was the perfect spot. You could see a lot of the fences here, along with the start and finish of course. It was eventually Ally's turn, and she showed up with Crystal. Her nerves were clear, even from a distance, so I decided to shout "Don't die Als!"

She lightly giggled, along with everyone I was standing with. "Mama wuill she die?" Rose asked Scarlett with wide eyes. "No babygirl, she'll be completely fine okay?" Rose nodded, seemingly not completely believing her mother.

The start signal went off and Ally sped off. She did the round perfectly, Crystal only hesitated at the water and some fences ended up being a bit messy, bit she got around and ended up inside the time frame, pretty close to the optimal time.

We cheered as she passed the finish line, and she came up to us with a huge smile on her face, accompanied by her parents. "Tha' was so cool!" Rose squealed, making all of us laugh. "W'en you went throgh da wata and it went splashy splashy!"

She made splashing movements with her hands. "Yeah it was pretty cool right!" Scarlett laughed. Rose rambled on about Ally's round all the way to the stables. "Good job Als, good round", I gave her a fist bump.

----------------------------------------

Hiyyaa!!

Sorry for the late update, I kinda forgot to post lol xD

I had work and then we got people over for dinner so I haven't had any alone time

But I'm here now. Take care of yourself for me and enjoy your weekend <3

Love you all lots :)

Love, Frida xx