Chapter 89: "The final moments"

I think this pic summarises the chapter pretty well ^

Once again, prepare yourselves

And I'm sorry

------------------------------------------

Lizzie's pov:

I was slowly watching as my daughter lost herself. And there was not a thing I could do about it. All my efforts to help her had done nothing. She had lost herself to her thoughts and no one was able to pull her out.

To be honest, I was seriously worried about how she would be after this. If she would even be able to function. Her frantic pleas were like swords in my heart. The look in her eyes was completely lost, there was nothing left of the kind, cheery Nova I knew.

She was in hysterics, and rightfully so.

Luna's head was in her lap as she cried and cried without end. Her pleas were hard to understand due to her erratic sobs. I tried to go and comfort her, but Miriam held me back. I was about to use some sort of Wanda shit on her, no one is going to stop me from comforting my daughter.

"Give them some time alone. This is the last of the time they'll have together, she'll need you to be there for her after it's done."

So that's how I found myself watching my daughter lose herself while I tried not to break down. Her pain was so apparent, and although she was exhausted, she cried and begged for what seemed like hours.

And while her tears eventually subsided due to just how much she had cried, mine resurfaced. My heart was breaking as I watched my daughter lose the most important thing in her life. All she could look at was her horse in her lap who was too weak to even try and do something.

Even an inexperienced person around horses, like I was, could see that the horse wasn't okay. Miriam, Ally and Emily all gathered around me as we silently watched my daughter. We gave her some space, and to be honest, I don't even think she noticed us looking at her.

"I think we need to do it soon, she's not going to get any better." Suddenly, Emily was standing beside me with a syringe in her hand. "Can't you give her any more time?" I'm sure my eyes were pleading, but I just couldn't watch my daughter go through that. Not yet.

"I can give her as much time as she wants before she actually passes, but I always think it's better with an injection. It stops their suffering and is therefore better for the animal in the end. They're already suffering enough and are not aware of their surroundings anymore. This time is primarily for the human."

"O-Okay", I mumbled, this was too much for me to handle. I couldn't make a decision like this. "Elizabeth and Ally, you two stay here. I'll go and talk to her, and Emily, you set the injection okay?" Everyone nodded, except me.

"What, no, I want to talk to her, she's my daughter", I pleaded, tears clouding my vision. "I know you want to, but you're already worked up. This is hard for the both of you, so at this moment, I think she needs someone level-headed."

Deep down, I knew she was right. I was worked up and on the verge of breaking down myself. Watching my daughter go through this was breaking me, both from the outside and from the inside. Not being able to help her may even be worse.

I felt so helpless. I wasn't able to do anything for her. I wasn't able to take away her pain, much less make it more bearable.

So I watched helplessly as Miriam and Emily approached Nova, and Miriam crouched down in front of her. She took one of Nova's hands in hers and said something to her. "N-No, please no, don't take her away! I need her, no, please!"