Chapter 28: "Being eaten alive"

⚠️TW:⚠️ none

—————————————

"All right, so Luna is all ready to go outside, we'll just go put on everybody else's rugs and then we'll turn them out", I smiled. "Great", Lizzie answered.

I went around, putting on everybody's rugs, Lizzie occasionally trying to help me. Keyword: Trying. She did struggle a bit, but she got better eventually.

She wasn't very comfortable around the horses either. Every time a horse would put their head up from their food, she'd become a bit nervous.

"Umm Nova...? Is he going to escape?" She asked nervously. "Don't worry about that. He has food in here, if he were to escape, it'd be after he finishes it", I laughed.

"Nova! He's going to bite me!" Lizzie squealed, backing away from the little pony I was putting the rug on. "Relax, he doesn't bite. True, most ponies are little devils, but he's actually pretty nice. He has never bitten anyone, he just wants to say hi", I explained.

"Nova! She's eating me!" Lizzie practically screamed. "Inside voice, remember?" I playfully scolded her. "Right, sorry, but SHE'S EATING ME ALIVE", Lizzie whisper shouted. I just had to laugh. The horse was barely nibbling on her.

"Sorry, it's just kind of funny", I giggled, earning a pout from Lizzie. "If they're doing something you don't like, don't hesitate to push them away okay? If it's urgent, you can give them a little slap but try to be gentle", I said.

Lizzie nodded, showing she understood, and gently pushed the horse's head away. The horse took the hint and continued munching on her hay. "Look! It worked!" Lizzie smiled excitedly. "It sure did", I laughed at her excitement.

We quickly put on the last rugs before turning all of the horses out. By now most of them had finished their food, so the horses were getting restless, knowing that they were supposed to be let out soon.

"Do you want to lead a horse or two?" I asked Lizzie. She shook her head, horrified. "No, I don't feel comfortable with that. Why would you even trust me with something like that?" She asked me.

"They're not going to do anything, besides, you've already led Billy multiple times and everything was fine", I pointed out. "Is it okay if I just look today until I feel a bit more comfortable?" Lizzie asked, suddenly a bit shy. She was looking down at her hands while fidgeting with her fingers.

"I don't want to do something wrong."

I internally awed at her concern. "There's nothing to be scared about, trust me. The worst thing that can happen is that the horse gets spooked and decides to run away from you. Well, not run, horses don't run, they gallop, but you get the idea."

"If that ever happens, you HAVE to let the horse go. There's not much you can do, and you really don't want to get dragged behind them", I explained.

"But you don't have to if you don't feel comfortable with it", I smiled. "Thank you", Lizzie said gratefully. "I think I'll just watch and let you do your thing."

"Okay, I'll start with these two bastards here", I said jokingly, gesturing to the two first horses I was turning out.

When I saw Lizzie's horrified face, I had to laugh. "I'm kidding, they just like to joke around a bit", I giggled.

I ended up turning out all of the horses without any complications. However, one thing Lizzie was mesmerized by, was the fact that I lead the horses out two and two, so one in each hand.

"How are you doing that? I could never. What do you do if one of the horses decides to act up or if you have to open a gate?" She would ask me.

After turning all the horses out, it was time for me to go and clean up everyone's feed buckets. I washed them and put them in their respective places in the feed room.

Then it was time for everyone's favourite part of the morning. Mucking out, yayy!

I actually find it quite therapeutic when I don't have to talk to anyone. I can just kind of zone out and relax for a bit while mucking out. Today, not so much. Lizzie was here which meant I had to talk to her.

Luna's stable is always the one I start with, so I wasted no time in getting started. I usually just throw what's on the fork into the wheelbarrow to save time, instead of walking over and putting it in.

Over the years I've developed a good aim, and I rarely miss. "How do you never miss?" Lizzie asked me, astonished. "Practice", I smirked, throwing and not missing once again.

I finished mucking out as quickly as I could, doing general small talk with Lizzie while doing so. I had to go and empty the wheelbarrow a couple of times due to the sheer amount of stables I had to do.

When I finally finished, I put both the wheelbarrow and fork away before quickly sweeping over the area of the barn I had been in for the majority of the time.

I was pretty much finished for the morning now. All I had to do now was to ride Luna. I wanted to ask Lizzie to accompany me. She would be able to make it to work at 12. It's just that I know that walking beside someone while on a hack (trail ride) can be boring, and depending on the terrain, it can be a bit of a workout too.

I didn't want her to feel like she had to accompany me, considering everything she had already done for me.

So, to drag out the time until I had to ask her, I walked over to Crystal's stable to see if Ally was there. And sure enough, she was.

"Good morning Al, what's up?" I asked, leaning on the stable door. "Morning, it's too fucking early for this", Ally grumbled like usual. She's such a mood.

"Language, we have an adult here", I warned her jokingly and her head shot up. "Miss Olsen! Hi, sorry about that, I'm just not really a morning person", Ally rambled. "Once again, it's Lizzie, and it's totally fine, it's nice to see you again", she smiled.

"You too, so what happened last night?" Ally asked, wiggling her eyebrows.

————————————
Hello! How are you?

So I'm on vacation, so I can't promise consistent updates as I don't have internet, but I'll try my best :)

Stay safe <3

Love, Frida xx