Chapter 54: "Showjumping"

⚠️TW:⚠️ nothing really

—————————————

We   shared a  laugh  before MK gave me a leg up. "Wait, how the hell did  you  do  that?"  Lizzie whipped her head around as I was suddenly back  on the   horse.  "It's called a leg up", I giggled. "Can you do it  again? I wanna   see",  Lizzie gave me puppy eyes.

"I  have  no clue why  you're so  intrigued by a leg up but sure", I shrugged,   hopping off  Luna again.  "Do you mind? I asked MK who was watching,   trying to  stifle her laugh.  "Not at all." I held on to the saddle as  MK  gripped  my left leg.

"1,   2 and 3!" I jumped a few  times, gaining  momentum before MK helped me  up  "Wow, that's so cool",  Lizzie watched  in awe. "Why are you so   mesmerized", I asked,  laughing my ass off. "I  don't know, it's just   cool."

"Just  cool, I  got it." We had to  get going to the warmup  as it was a bit of  a walk.  "So what are we  doin' now?" Rose asked me as  she was on  Scarlett's  shoulders, walking  beside me and Luna. "Now  we're going to  the warmup  arena before Ally  and I have our  showjumping", I tried to  explain.

"Are  you  gonna jump over  da big logs and go  through da wata?" Rose asked  with  wide eyes. "I've  seen that on mah  TV", she told me proudly. "You  have?  That's so cool!  But we're not  doing that yet, unfortunately.   Showjumping is jumping  over fences,  the big things with poles across."

"Oh!   And then  you're gonna  go through da water later?" Rose questioned.   "Yup, the  water comes  last", I smiled at her adorableness. She nodded,   showing  she  understood. We made it to the warmup, and Ally's parents    disappeared  to find a spot for Ally's round.

Scarlett,  Rose   and Ashley  also went to find everyone some good spots for my  round.   Which left  MK and Lizzie to watch me warm up. Let me tell you; I  hate    showjumping warmups with my entire being. There are like 30 riders     trying to warm up over like two fences.

Luna  hates it, I    hate it, everyone hates it. Either way, I managed to jump  the fence a    couple of times, and Luna felt okay. It wasn't until the  last time I    was supposed to jump the fence that someone cut me off,  causing Luna  to   swerve without warning.

I  was flung on the the ground    shoulder first. "Fucking hell", I mumbled,  rubbing my shoulder which    hurt like hell. "You okay?" I heard from one  of the riders. "Yeah,    thanks, not dead so that's good I guess."

Someone  had managed to    catch Luna, so I went and collected her before doing the  walk of  shame   to MK for a leg up. Ally joined me and we shared a little   laugh.  Don't  ask. Falling off is funny.

As long as the horse is fine and you're not seriously hurt, it's funny. It's even better if someone gets it on film.

"How  did that even happen?" I wheezed. "No clue, you looked like an idiot  though", Ally teased me. Lizzie was almost hysterical, trying  to   get  into the arena, MK holding her back. "Nova baby, are you  okay?!"

"Yeah, I'm fine", I smiled, trying to reassure  her. "I have to go, you have fun", Ally went to do her round. "Good  luck, don't die like I almost did", I shouted after her. As soon as I  was out of the arena, MK let    Lizzie go and she didn't waste a second  with running up to me.

"Are    you okay Nova?" She asked,  looking me up and down for any injuries.    "Yeah I'm fine, nothing I  haven't gone through before." "Are you sure?    You fell off a horse  Nova", Lizzie was practically panicking.

"Lizzie, look at  me. I'm okay. Nothing is broken, I'm up and walking, I was wearing a  helmet. I'm okay, I promise", I smiled softly, taking her hands in  mine. "That was so scary baby, I thought you were hurt", tears  were  brimming her eyes.

"I'm  so sorry, but just know I'm okay.  Warmup rings are dangerous, there  isn't close to enough space."  She  was quick to embrace me, a so racking  through her body. "I'm okay,  I'm okay Lizzie", I whispered into the  embrace.

We  eventually pulled away as I had to get going soon. "You okay?" MK asked me. "Yeah, wish someone got that on film though", I laughed. "Oh that     feeling; you should have seen yourself though", MK laughed as well.

"It's     not funny!" Lizzie whined, on the verge of tears again. "I'm sorry,   we   just find it funny. As long as no one is hurt, equestrians usually    find  falls funny, it's weird, don't ask."

"Do  you mind giving   me  a leg up though? I kind of have to get going", I  asked MK who   agreed.  "Wait, you're not continuing after that are you?"  Lizzie   asked. "Well,  I'm fine, Luna is fine, and I'm not eliminated  since it   was in the  warmup, so yeah, I'm obviously continuing."

MK   helped  me up on  Luna again and I got situated, giving Luna a pat on  the   neck. "I'll  just jump it one more time so that we can end it on    something good  before I go do my round okay?" MK nodded while Lizzie    looked worried.

"I'll   be okay", I smiled before heading  off  to jump the fence one more time.  I  managed to do it with no  hiccups,  so MK and Lizzie joined me on my  walk  to the arena. We got  to the  entrance to the stands, so we had to  part  ways.

"Good    luck", MK gave me a fist bump. "Please be  careful honey", Lizzie    practically begged me. "I will, don't worry", I  gave her hand a   squeeze.  "I'll retire if I feel like she feels off",   told MK as   Lizzie probably  didn't know what that meant.

(Retiring in a round is basically quitting. If the horse is too stressed or can't continue, you retire and stop the round)

"Good     idea." As I left, I saw MK telling Lizzie what retiring meant. She     still looked agitated, but I knew if someone could calm her, it would  be    her best friend and her sisters. The rider before me was acing  their    round until the last combination.

They  messed up  the   striding to the oxer, so they ended up having a pole  down. I made  a   mental note to be careful with the oxer, as it seemed  like a fence  a   lot of people struggled with. The rider exited the arena  with a  soft   smile on her face.

"Good  round, despite the pole", I    congratulated her. Good sportsmanship is  important. "Thanks, should    have set him up better. Good luck though!"

I  smiled and    trotted into the arena, waiting for my go signal. I asked  Luna for a    nice calm canter, and when I heard my signal, I focused on  the first    fence. Luna slightly hesitated, so we ended up chipping in a  bit.

She    always  struggled with the first fence. No matter what I did, I    couldn't fully  prepare her for it. But we got over it, and I was    immediately locked on  the next fence. Encouraging Luna to go a bit    faster and to watch her  hind legs, she flew over the next one.

Everything     went perfectly until we got to the open water jump. I hate open    waters.  They just freak me out. I tried not to let it show, and I rode Luna  towards it as if it was a normal fence. Sensing my hesitation, she hesitated a bit as well but flew over it nonetheless.

---------------------------------------------------

Hii!!

I'll have to be quick bc I'm going to the barn, but I hope you're doing ok :)

I love you all so much, take care <3

Love, Frida xx