Chapter 86: "I can't breathe"

⚠️TW:⚠️ the fUn continues...

-------------------------------------------

Lizzie's pov:

I was trying to keep the conversation going with Ally's mum, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Today had been a lot for me already. I'm always super emotional on wrapping days. Now, I was here at the yard with Nova and her horse which was sick.

I still didn't know a lot about colic, but from what I've gathered, horses can't throw up and now there's a blockage of some sort in her digestive system which can be fatal. Now, we're pumping fluids into her to hopefully break up the blockage.

Nova hadn't said a word since she had apologized to Luna for having to drag her back up. It was like she had fallen into a state of nothingness. I had gotten no reaction from her whatsoever. She was staring into what looked like nothingness, but I could see her pupils moving slightly as she looked at all the different parts of Luna.

She was making sure she wasn't getting worse.

There wasn't much I could do right now. Despite how much I wanted to just hold her, I knew she needed some time right now. I watched Nova the same was she was watching Luna. Observing of any change, negative change.

Her face was pretty hidden from my view due to the angle she was sitting at, so it took me a while to notice the silent tears streaming down her face. Her chest then started heaving and I could see the moment everything caught up with her and she became aware of her surroundings again.

Panic flared up in her eyes and I was up from my seat in no time. "Nova baby, can you hear me?" I asked, crouching down in front of her. My words earned no reaction or indication she had heard me.

Her eyes were looking in all directions for what seemed like help, and she clawed desperately at her neck. Through her teary eyes, I could see her gaze turn hazy. Fuck. She was losing consciousness.

"Nova. You need to breathe." I removed her hands from her neck before she did any damage, much to her dismay. A panicked sob combined with a gasp for air left her as she tried to get her hands back.

"Breathe hunny. I need you to breathe." I took both of her hands in mine and did something I had never dared to do under any of her panic attacks, in fear of triggering something. I put my hand on her cheek, rubbing it softly.

"You're okay Nova, you're with me. You're with mum. Take a deep breath for me Nova baby." I cooed, wiping her tears as gently as I could. Her eyes then found me and another sob racked through her.

"Mum, help me please. I-I can't breathe", she sobbed through her gasps for air. "I know bubba. You need to take some deep breaths for me." She shook her head. "I-I can't." "Yes you can", I told her firmly.

"Breathe with me." I took one of her hands and placed it on my chest, right over my heart. "Just focus on my voice and on my heartbeat. Nothing else. You're okay my love. 𝐼'𝓋𝑒 𝑔𝑜𝓉 𝓎𝑜𝓊." She kept firm eye contact with me as she listened to my steady heartbeat, almost as if I wouldn't be there if she looked away.

"There we go baby, you're doing such a good job for me. Keep up those deep breaths. That's it." I smiled softly as she calmed down and realized we were sitting in Luna's stable. "How is she?" Was the first thing she asked when she caught her breath and got it under control.

"The same. No changes, still the mild symptoms." I informed her. That's what Ally's mom had told me anyway. "O-Okay. What time is it?" I looked at the watch on my wrist. "10:30." Nova nodded.

"C-Can you sit with me? Just for a bit?" She asked shakily. "Of course honey, keep up those breaths okay?" She scooted away from the wall a bit so that I could scooch in behind her. She buried her side into me and I held her tightly, pressing occasional kisses to her head.

I don't know how long we sat there for, but Ally's mum very kindly changed Luna's fluid bags for us, since I was pretty certain Nova wasn't going to allow me to move anytime soon.

The clock ticked 11 and I could see that Nova was exhausted. "Nova honey?" I got her attention. She just grumbled, struggling to keep her eyes open. "I think you should get some rest darling, you're exhausted", I suggested, brushing a strand of hair away from her face.

She shook her head. "Don't wanna", she mumbled into me. "My sweet girl, you're exhausted and you need rest. Someone will stay here and keep an eye on Luna while we go home and sleep for a bit. How does that sound?"

"No."

"Baby..."

"I don't wanna go home. I've done all-nighters before, I can handle it." Her voice came out a bit more confident this time, but it didn't take away from the fact that she was exhausted from today's events.

"We can bring over some sleeping bags and blankets, I can run home quickly and grab some. That way she can stay here and also maybe get some rest", Ally's mum was kind enough to offer.

"Are you sure? That is so kind of you."

"It's no worries, I've done this before with both Novella and Allyson. None of them would budge. She won't now either", she gestured towards the exhausted girl in my arms. "If you really wouldn't mind, I think we would greatly appreciate that."

Ally's mom shot us a sweet smile before grabbing her car keys and Ally, leaving to get some sleeping bags, blankets and also some food after she thought about that. The thought of food hadn't even crossed my mind once, my stomach too tight to want any food.

I could imagine Nova felt the same, if even worse, but regardless, we had to eat something. "Miriam and Ally have gone to get us some sleeping bags and some food, is there anything else you need? I could call her and ask her to bring it", I asked Nova.

-------------------------------------------

I can imagine you all hate me now, this is just the crazy writer in me coming out...

For what it's worth, I am sorry, but I wholeheartedly believe that this is going to be a good ending. Well maybe not happy, but good nonetheless :)

I love you all so much, take care <3

Love, Frida xx