Chapter 20: "Pep talk"

⚠️TW:⚠️  panic attack (kinda) and just a lot of overthinking

————————————————

Lizzie's pov:

The poor girl just broke down in my arms. I could tell she had been holding in all of these emotions for a long time, because she hadn't had an adult in her life to comfort her. I was planning to do just that. If only she'd let me.

Once she got her breathing under control, she started crying, which is a normal reaction after a panic attack. Your body is so exhausted, all you can do is cry. And that's what she did.

I felt so bad for her. It was clear that she was struggling and that she needed someone. So I did what I could do. I comforted her, held her in my arms, occasionally kissing her head. But in the end she just had to let it all out.

There wasn't really much more I could do than to be there for her. And that was killing me. I wish I could take away all her pain, but I couldn't. I had to earn her trust and break down the walls she had built around herself.

When her crying subsided, her body melted into my embrace. She was exhausted.

Nova's pov:

I only realized just now what had happened. I had completely broken down in Lizzie's arms and my walls had crumbled, but only for a moment. I couldn't let anyone in, they'd just end up leaving in the end, and not letting them in would save me from a lot of hurt.

"I'm so sorry!" I explaimed, shooting up from Lizzie's embrace and wiping my tears. "Why are you sorry, you have absolutely nothing to be sorry for", Lizzie said softly. "Yes I do, I just completely broke down on you. I should probably get going, you've been so kind to me, I don't want to be more of an inconvenience to you", I panicked while backing off towards the door.

"Hey! Stop right there, you're not going anywhere." Lizzie said in a sterner tone. "Come here and sit down", she motioned for me to come and sit beside her. When I gave her a questioning look, she sighed. "I promise you, you're not an incovenience to anyone, least of all me, and I really don't want you to leave."

"Are you sure? I really don't want to bother you", I mumbled, still not really believeing what I was hearing. "Yes I'm sure, I care about you", Lizzie smiled sadly while opening her arms. I hesitantly walked over to her and sat down beside her.

She wrapped her arms around me and I stiffened, but leaned back into her nonetheless. "Listen to me now, never apologize for feeling a strong emotion, your feelings are valid. I'm always here for you, just know that. You can always talk to me about anything and I'll try my best to help you."

"You're not an inconvenience or a burden, I promise you. I care about you." I was still hesitant to believe it, no adult had actually cared about me in a long time. "I know you don't believe it, and I understand that it's going to take some time for you to trust me, but just know that I care about you, so much."

"Yeah I don't believe that", I mumbled. "Then I'll spend as long as it takes to show it to you", Lizzie smiled, giving me a peck on the head. "You'll just end up leaving all over again", I said, barely audible.

"What did you say hun?" Lizzie asked me. "Nothing...." I mumbled. "I know you said something and it sounded important, what's wrong?"

"No it's nothing important", I mumbled. "You sure?" Lizzie asked. I nodded and gave her a weak smile. "You can tell me when you're ready", Lizzie said, smiling reassuringly. "For now, we can just stay right here. Do you want to finish the movie?" Lizzie asked me.

"I don't mind, you choose", I mumbled, not wanting to say the wrong thing or make her do something she doesn't want to. "I'll put it on on low volume so that you can watch or just listen to it if you want to. Is that okay?" I nodded.

Lizzie reached over to the remote and unpaused the movie before wrapping her arms around me again. Once again, I stiffened at the contact which unbeknownst to me made Lizzie's brows furrow.

Lizzie's pov:

Every time my body made contact hers, she would stiffen. My stomach churned every time this happened. Had never anyone showed her affection like this? I knew she had been through a lot and her life hadn't been the best, but I hadn't expected this.

"Relax honey, you're okay, 𝐼'𝓋𝑒 𝑔𝑜𝓉 𝓎𝑜𝓊", I whispered into her ear. As soon as she relaxed, I kissed her head. We lay like this for a long time, Nova with her head on my chest, and me with my arms wrapped around her.

The movie was playing softly in the background, but none of us were paying attention to it. Suddenly, Nova broke the silence. I had seen the gears turn in her head for a long time, and she seemed off in her own world.

"Why do you care?"

"What?" I was speechless. That was a deep question for a 16-year old, and a question no one should have to ask. "Why do you care so much about me? I'm just some random orphan and you're a famous actress!"

"You're way too busy to be here taking care of me, you should be out on red carpets getting recognition for the incredible work you've done."

Does she really think I'm too busy for her or that I don't care about her? "Hey, none of that, okay? I care about you, a lot. And I don't know why, I just get some sort of maternal instinct, a need to protect you, to love you, to keep you safe."

"I know I'm busy and I know I'm an actress, but I have a life outside of acting. At the end of the day, I'm still a normal human being who orders McDonalds for dinner and who uses coupons at Target to save a few bucks."

"Your life has been messed up. I don't know the details but I know you haven't had it easy. You deserve someone who loves you like a parent should, someone who's shoulder you can cry on, and someone you can come to for advice or someone to talk to. This might be the wrong time to say this, but I feel like you deserve to know."

Nova had raised her head and was now looking at me with those gorgeous crystal blue eyes of hers. Okay Lizzie, here goes nothing...

"Umm... so before I start, just know there's no pressure and no matter what you answer, it's completely your desicion."

"What are you saying? This seems serious. Have I done something wrong? I'm so sorry-" Nova started nervously rambling.

————————————

Aaaand I'll just stop right there..... sorry lol 😂

Gotta love a little cliffhanger

How are y'all doing? This week has been pretty shitty if I do say so myself, and I know that some of you guys have also struggled this week.

But you made it through, and I'm incredibly proud of you! So enjoy the weekend, do something that makes you happy. Whether that is reading Wattpad until 3am or going for a walk in nature :)

Make sure you stay hydrated and if you haven't eaten yet today, try and do that please

Love, Frida xx