Chapter 57: "Cross-country"

⚠️TW:⚠️ talk about injury

-----------------------------------------

Rose rambled on about Ally's round all the way to the stables. "Good job Als, good round", I gave her a fist bump.

Ally untacked and cooled Crystal down while I got myself and Luna ready. Well, MK got Luna ready. There's a lot of equipment for cross-country, both for the horse and rider. Luna has her normal saddle, saddle pad and bridle. On top of that she also has boots on all four legs and a martingale and breastplate.

I know there is some controversy with whether or not you should wear a martingale, but I find with Luna being off the track, she always wants to go faster and ends up with her head up like a giraffe.

To avoid that, I've decided on using a martingale.

Anyway, I also have a lot of stuff I need to wear. I obviously have my helmet, I have a body protector, a sweater or baselayer, breeches, boots and gloves. And obviously my number. So it's a lot.

MK was of huge help. I didn't have to worry about getting Luna ready, MK did all of that which resulted in us being on time for once.

I feel like there's never enough time, and you always end up being late. Today, however, we were on time and I had enough time to warm up. My shoulder was getting worse, all the moving around definitely wasn't helping.

Lizzie was a bit worried but I think I managed to assure her I would be fine. Everyone else went to go find a place to watch as I made my way over to the start box.

As soon as we get close to it, Luna knows what's up.

She got a bit impatient and did a small rear, trying to get us to go while I was trying to hold her back. I heard the start signal and I let Luna go at a good pace. The first couple of fences were pretty easy.

Just some logs, brushes and pretty wide apexes. There was also a ditch which Luna did a weird cat-leap over. I think she was caught a bit off guard but we got over it.

Then we got to the water. There was a drop into it, which basically means that you jump over a fence and land in the water. There was also a bank on the other side, so Luna had to jump out of the water as well.

She handled it like a champ, and we were met with an arrowhead which she also flew over, even though I rode her a bit messily over it. Then there was a combination called a coffin. First, a rail, followed by a ditch, and finally a log at the end.

We then approached the keyhole, which is exactly what it sounds like. Literally a hole which you have to jump through. I've always had a fear of them, and Luna isn't the biggest fan either. As we approached it, Luna saw it and slowed down, despite me trying to urge her forwards.

I was sure we were going to have a refusal, but at the last second, Luna sped up and jumped through. Her split-second decision caught me off guard, but I managed to stay with her over it.

After the keyhole, there were only a few more obstacles before I could gallop over the finish line. I checked my time, and to my surprise, I was only about three seconds away from the optimum time.

It's safe to say, Luna got lots of pats and carrots after that round. Rose was also incredibly excited about my round. Mk ended up taking care of Luna while I got changed. So far, I was actually still in first place. Just barely though. 

Our dressage score, combined with my clear showjumping round and my incredible cross-country round, had earned me a placing. Well, at least so far. There were still some riders left, so someone might still steal my placing.

According to Lizzie, now was as of a good time as any to go get my shoulder checked out by one of the paramedics stationed around the venue. We found an ambulance and two paramedics standing close to the cross-country.

There is usually an ambulance at shows and competitions, just in case someone does get injured and has to be taken to the ER or the hospital in an ambulance. Or, if you get a little injury like I had and just want to get it checked out to make sure it's not fatal or anything.

"Hi! Can we help you with anything?" One of the paramedics asked us as we strolled towards them. As we weren't panicking or in a rush, they were pretty chill. "Hey! Yeah, my daughter took a fall in the warmup today and hurt her shoulder", Lizzie explained, gesturing toward me.

"So I'm your daughter now?" I teased Lizzie. "Oh shut up", she mumbled.

"Have you looked at it?" The paramedic asked. "We have, it's not that bad, just bruised", I explained. "Not bad my ass", Lizzie said under her breath, but we both heard her nonetheless. "I can move it!" I defended myself.

"We all have different opinions on what is classified as fine, but you're up and standing. None of you are in hysterics either, so I'll take that as a good sign", the paramedic joked. "I'm Jessica by the way", she introduced herself.

"I'm Elizabeth and this is Nova", Lizzie smiled. "Well, Nova, could I maybe take a look at this shoulder of yours?" Jessica asked. "Sure", I shrugged as best as I could, wincing slightly. "Again, just proving my point", Lizzie commented.

"Oh my god..."

Jessica led us inside the little tent they had set up so that we could have some more privacy. "Are you okay with taking your shirt off so that I can take a better look at your shoulder?"

------------------------------------

Hiya! I don't have much time to write here, I'm sorry, but I love you all, take care <3

Love, Frida xx