Chapter 87:"Until it wasn't"

⚠️TW:⚠️ I think we all know...

-----------------------------

Ally's mom shot us a sweet smile before grabbing her car keys and Ally, leaving to get some sleeping bags, blankets and also some food after she thought about that. The thought of food hadn't even crossed my mind once, my stomach too tight to want any food.

I could imagine Nova felt the same, if even worse, but regardless, we had to eat something. "Miriam and Ally have gone to get us some sleeping bags and some food, is there anything else you need? I could call her and ask her to bring it", I asked Nova.

She shook her head, halfway back into her daze. "Nothing?" Another shake of her head. After that, we stayed quiet, Nova observing Luna and me observing Nova. Ally eventually came back with her mum. They had brought four sleeping bags, a couple blankets and pillows, and some water and tacos.

"How about we all eat something first?" Miriam, Ally's mom suggested. I agreed. "That sounds like a good idea, right Nova?" No reaction. "Nova baby", I tried again. Nothing. Sighing, I realized she was back in her daze of staring at Luna, thoughts whizzing about in her head.

Miriam handed me two tacos for us to start with, along with a bottle of water. Smiling gratefully, I accepted them and put the bottle on the side for now. My mission was to get Nova to at least eat something.

"My sweet girl, can you eat something for me please?" I slightly turned Nova so that she was facing me and had to move her eyes. "I don't wanna", she whined. "I know baby. Your stomach is probably feeling a bit yucky, but you need to eat something. Ally and Miriam got us tacos, how about you try some of it?"

I couldn't help but talk to her like you'd talk to a little kid. When she was in these states, that's what worked best.

After some more complaining Nova finally took the taco from me and gave me a disapproving look before taking a little bite. "Thank you hunny. If you eat half of it, I'll stop pestering you about it okay?"

Looks like I won this battle. Understandably, the thought of food probably made Nova nauseous, so it took a while for her to eat it. Between small bites, she would lean against my chest for comfort while she watched how Luna was doing.

I offered her some water, and she drank that too, along with finishing half of her taco. When she deemed it half finished, she handed it to me and went back to looking over at Luna. "Do you want to finish it?" I asked her.

She shook her head dismissively and I accepted that this was as much as she'd eat today. So I ended up finishing her taco as well, not wanting any food to go to waste.

And with that, back to the waiting game we went. Nova slipped back into her daze, but she seemed a bit more relaxed than before due to the fact that Luna hadn't gotten any worse.

It was now midnight and Nova still refused to sleep. I had managed to get her in a sleeping bag, but she was still laying in my lap, in the doorway to Luna's stable. Luna seemed to be doing a bit better though.

Her tail swishing had stopped, and she had only kicked at her flank a couple times the last hour. Miriam had been an angel and changed her fluid bags once again, and had now gone back to the bench where she and Ally had been cooped up together.

I felt myself getting tired as well. It was past the time I'd usually go to bed, and this had been a long day. Although, despite my exhaustion, I was determined to power through for her, for my daughter and for one of the main causes for her happiness.

Nova's pov:

I had honestly lost track of time at this point. My phone was probably somewhere, but I hadn't even thought about going on it. My main focus was Luna. She seemed to be doing better. She hadn't swished her tail in a while, all she had done was kicked her flank a couple of times.

Everything seemed okay, until it wasn't.

I was back to staring at my precious horse when her knees buckled slightly. No. Did I just imagine that? Surely, she was doing better, right?

RIGHT?

Clearly not.

Her knees almost gave out again, but she managed to catch herself. In the blink of an eye, I had gotten out of mum's very comforting embrace and was trying to get the sleeping bag off myself.

Damn you mum, why did you make me crawl into this thing. After an arguably too-long battle, I finally got out of the tube of death. The sleeping bag was quickly discarded against the wall and I made it to Luna just in time as she actually tried laying down.

Quickly untying the quick-release knot Luna was tied by, I (as gently as possible) yanked her back up. This got the attention of everyone else. Miriam was the first back on her feet as she rushed into the stable where I was just standing frozen, unable to comprehend what had just happened.

"What happened Nova? Why are you up?" Miriam asked. "S-She tried to lay down. She's not getting better", I choked out, my anxiety getting the best of me. "O-Okay, Elizabeth, call the vet again. It's urgent", Miriam ordered mum.

Shooting another concerned glance towards us, mum quickly picked her phone up and phoned who I hope was the vet. This couldn't be happening. Miriam took the lead rope from me as Luna laid down, letting out a grunt as she did so.

"Nope, you need to stand, come on", Miriam tried getting Luna back up, but she wasn't budging. The look in her eyes which had recently been fairly calm due to the pain meds was long gone. With a weak, pained, begging look in her eyes, Luna looked me right into my soul.

I let out a strained sob and was about to crumble to the floor when I felt someone holding me up. Ally's comforting scent washed over me as I leaned my weight on her, not trusting my legs. She didn't say anything, not that she had to. Both of us knew how this could play out, and deep in my gut, I already felt it.

I knew that Ally hated not being able to promise me everything was going to okay. Because there was no saying that it would be okay.

I couldn't bring myself to watch as Miriam tried yanking Luna back up, but somehow, I couldn't look away. My body betrayed me as I watched the sight in front of me. She was in so much pain, all she could bring herself to do was lay down. She had to fight. This was not how today was supposed to go.

"What did the vet say?" Miriam turned to mum, who was back. "G-Get her moving, don't let her lay down. Ditch the tubes, they won't do much now." Mum's voice was wavering slightly as her gaze jumped between Luna and me. She didn't understand much, but she understood enough to know how this could play out.

Which side we were tipping more towards.

"Elizabeth, I need you to come here. Hold her, and under no circumstance do you let her lay down, okay?" A stressed mum held Luna as Miriam made quick work of the tubes. Or well, the tube and the IV.

The IV was easy enough, but the tube was a bit trickier. At this point, there wasn't much point in trying to do it in the "correct" way. As gently as possible, Miriam removed the tube and discarded it.

-------------------------

Well hello my lovely people :)

How are we doing today?

I think we all know how this is going to play out, so I'm sorry, for what it's worth <3

Love, Frida xx