Chapter 65: "Don't say that"

⚠️TW:⚠️ some slight past trauma (nothing major)

-------------------------------------------------------

"Okay mum, I'll keep that in mind", I answered, laying back down on her chest. "I like the sound of that", mum's chest vibrated with a small laugh. I was feeling clingy, I had never really had anyone who was there for me on this day.

Ally had always been there, but she wasn't an adult. She was my best friend but there were limits to what she could do. So now that I finally had an adult in my life who cared, I was going to enjoy the comfort I could get while it lasted.

Mum wrapped her arms around me, pulling me close to her. One of her hands found my hair and she started gently weaving her hand through my hair. The action was calming and my body deflated, finally feeling the pressure from today.

Lizzie's pov:

She called me mom! Or "mum", as she says. I love her accent, she sounds so posh.

I was trying to keep my happiness at bay, but I just wanted to squeal like a teenager who has got a date with their crush. But for Nova's sake, I stayed calm, trying my best to comfort her. Even though we had a brief happy moment, I could see the glazed look returning as she slowly lost herself to her thoughts again.

And I allowed her. It was clear that she needed this time to remember, she just needed someone to keep her from spiralling completely. Her body eventually relaxed as I ran my hands through her hair. Her gaze was fixed on something I couldn't see, and her foot was gently twitching.

Something I had noticed was another anxious habit of hers. If her whole leg wasn't shaking, her foot usually was. It is a calming action, trying to keep the anxiety and stress at bay.

I just stayed there, making sure she knew I was there for her as she allowed herself to let her thoughts out of the very inner corners of her brain. The memories she had hidden far, far back there. The ones she didn't want to think about ever again, the most painful ones.

We laid there for a while. I was enjoying the cuddling time I was getting with my daughter, even though it wasn't in a great scenario. A couple hours later, we still hadn't moved an inch. I heard the front door open and close, indicating Robbie was back.

And soon enough, he appeared in the doorway. Groceries in hand, and with a soft smile on his face at the sight of us on the couch under the blanket. "How is she?" He asked quietly, as not to wake her from her daze.

"Not very good. She's barely functioning, but she called me mom!" I finally let some of my excitement shine through. His smile got wider at my words. "I'm happy she feels comfortable enough for that!"

"I'll make us some food okay? If I'm guessing right, you haven't eaten." "You're right", I said sheepishly. "I was so occupied with taking care on Nova, I didn't make myself anything."

"Well I'll make you something now. Any wishes?" He asked. "Surprise me", I smiled softly. He nodded, disappearing into the kitchen. I continued combing my fingers through Nova's brunette locks.

She must have sensed another presence as her gaze slowly became more focused again. "Welcome back my sweet girl", I smiled. "Hi mum", she mumbled. "Robbie is back. He's in the kitchen making dinner", I informed her.

Her body tensed slightly and she nodded. "You'll be okay bubba. I'll be here at all times and if you get uncomfortable we can leave okay? He will understand", I reassured her. "Are you sure?"

"Completely."

"I shouldn't feel like this", I heard her whisper, mostly to herself. "He won't do anything. You're being weak. You're pathetic", she continued.

"Nova baby... don't say that", I told her firmly. "Today is hard for you. You've been through more trauma than the average person goes through in their entire life. Allow yourself to feel the feelings you're feeling, they're valid. Now, I don't want to catch you talking about yourself like that again okay? You're not weak or pathetic Nova."

"You're the strongest person I know. You've been through so much, yet here you stand today, alive, on the other side. You give so much to those around you and I'm so incredibly lucky to get to be part of your life."

"Don't say stuff like that about yourself Novella", I used her whole name so that she'd understand just how serious I was about this. "I-I'm sorry", she whispered. "It's okay, you have nothing to be sorry for my sweet girl", I weaved my hands through her hair.

Robbie suddenly appeared in the doorway with a plate of pasta. "I made you some bolognese", he informed me softly, not sure if Nova was awake or not. Nova visibly tensed up at his voice and I kissed her head, assuring her she was safe.

"Thank you baby, do you want some pasta Nova?" I asked her. She shook her head. "That's okay. Do you want Robbie to leave?" I asked her. You could physically see the gears turning in her head. Slowly, she shook her head.

"Do you want him to stay?" I asked. She nodded. "Are you sure?" Another nod. "Tell Lizzie if you get uncomfortable okay?" Robbie told her, again with a soft voice. She nodded against my chest, clinging on to me as if I were her lifeline.

Robbie smiled at us before getting himself some pasta as well, sitting down on the couch opposite us. We had a comfortable conversation while I kept on weaving my hands through Nova's hair simultaneously as I fed myself a bite of pasta every now and then.

Nova's grip on my shirt never really loosened, even though she did relax after a while. Soon enough, I finished my food and Robbie brought the dishes to the kitchen so that he could clean up. I swear, Robbie is the perfect husband.

He's so attentive and understanding with Nova. He does his share of chores in the house, and cooks incredible food. He's so respectful towards everyone, even people who maybe don't deserve it.

Maybe 15 minutes after he left, he came back, this time with a bowl of chocolate and chips. Or crisps, as Nova calls them. Nova woke up a bit and offered him a weak smile, accepting some chocolate.

"Thanks", she mumbled. "It's no problem", Robbie smiled. He plopped down where he sat while we ate, and turned the TV on. The movie Nova was "watching" earlier came up. "Should we finish this?" he asked us.

"Do you want to finish the movie?" I asked Nova, and she shook her head. "Anything you want to watch then?"

"Something you're in", she mumbled, stuffing her face back into my neck. Robbie smirked at her answer, putting on Age of Ultron. "Not a bad choice Nova", he laughed, knowing I don't really like watching myself.

--------------------------------------

Heyyooooo :)

How are we feeling today? Anything interesting happen?

I'm tired, like usual. Other than that, not a lot has happened. 

Take care of yourself for me yeah?

Love, Frida xx