Chapter 33: "Hung up on"

Guys.... It's happening...

⚠️TW:⚠️ panic attack, flashback

---------------------------------

Nova's pov:

My phone rang. I picked it up from my bed and saw Lizzie's name on the screen. Sitting down, I answered the call. "Hello?" "Nova, hi! How are you?" I heard Lizzie's voice. "I'm good, what about you?" I answered on autopilot. "I'm good, a bit tired from filming, thanks for asking", Lizzie answered me.

"What are you doing? Did you get back all right?" Lizzie asked. I had taken the tube back to the orphanage so Lizzie hadn't seen me since we parted ways at the barn. "I'm not really doing much, basically just procrastinating about packing, but yeah, I did get back all right, didn't get kidnapped so that's good", I tried to joke to cover up my slip.

"Procrastinating? Why are you doing that darling?" Lizzie asked me, her voice more concerned. The pet name made a small smile tug at the corners of my lips, no one had called me something other than Nova or Novella in a long time.

"It's nothing, I just don't really feel like packing right now", I tried to lie, but of course she saw right through it. "I have feeling there is more behind it, you can tell me you know."

"No, it's just me being weird, it's nothing major", I said. I called myself weird a lot. I couldn't call myself broken or messed up, that would make people worry. Calling myself weird made it seem like I was joking (which I wasn't), but it avoided questions. Usually.

"You're not weird honey, what's going on?" Lizzie kept on pushing. "It's nothing okay?!" I finally snapped. When people I didn't quite trust tried to push me into talking, I'd eventually snap and blow up, resulting in me shouting at them.

Realising what I had just done, I panicked.

"I-I'm sorry", I whispered, on the brink of tears. "No need honey, I was pushing you too far, I'm the one who should be sorry", Lizzie said through the phone.

Fucking hell Nova, you just shouted at the person who wants to adopt you! You just messed everything up. She'll realize how messed up you are and she'll never sign the papers!

Without thinking, I hung up the call. When I realized what I had done, the tears finally fell. I threw my phone down on the bed and crumbled. Before I knew it, I found myself curled up in a ball in the corner of the bed, desperately trying to comfort myself.

I had messed everything up. I had shouted at Lizzie. I had hung up on her.

Back when I was living with my father, that was more than enough for me to earn a beating.

Breathing soon became a problem. My heartbeat increased and I was soon gasping for air.

All I could hear was the phone ringing on my bed. I knew it was Lizzie trying to reach me, but all my brain could comprehend was my father calling me, enraged I had hung up on him without permission.

Now he was going to come for me and beat me up again. I had messed up big time. He was going to hate me. I was going to have bruises for weeks. He was going to be so mad at me.

I wasn't sure how much time had passed, but I heard the door to my room open. A distant voice called for me. My father. I was shaking at this point. Tears were streaming down my face and I was gasping for air. I couldn't breathe. A figure knelt in front of me.

"P-Please don't hurt me", I choked out in between my tears. The figure said something but I couldn't comprehend what. "I-I'm sorry, p-please, I didn't mean to." Why hadn't he hit me yet? Was he waiting for something?

Lizzie's pov:

"Hello?" I heard Nova's voice through the phone. "Nova, hi! How are you?" I asked her. "I'm good, what about you?" she answered quickly. "I'm good, a bit tired from filming, thanks for asking."

"What are you doing? Did you get back all right?" I asked her. I had been a bit hesitant to letting her take the tube back to the orphanage, but then again she had done that pretty much every day for many years. Wow, look at me already getting overprotective.

"I'm not really doing much, basically just procrastinating about packing, but yeah, I did get back all right, didn't get kidnapped so that's good", she joked.

"Procrastinating? Why are you doing that darling?" I asked her. Why was she procrastinating? That could only mean bad things. "It's nothing, I just don't really feel like packing right now", she tried to lie, not very succesfully. "I have feeling there is more behind it, you can tell me you know."

"No, it's just me being weird, it's nothing major", she told me. She just called herself weird. She wasnt weird. She was a lovely girl who had been through a lot. Why was she calling herself that? It wasn't true.

"You're not weird honey, what's going on?" I kept on pushing. "It's nothing okay?!" Nova snapped. That was the first time I had ever heard her shout.

"I-I'm sorry", she whispered, her voice cracking. I could hear she was on the brink of tears. "No need honey, I was pushing you too far, I'm the one who should be sorry", I answered, trying to assure her it wasn't her fault.

Suddenly, I heard the beep which signalled she had hug up the call. I took the phone away from my ear to look, and sure enough, she had hung up the call. Immediately, I tried to call her back. It went straight to voicemail.

I called her a couple more times, ending up with the same result. Every second I was getting increasingly more worried. What if she was having a panic attack with no one to help her? Without thinking, I rushed out of my trailer and to my car, calling Miss Riley in the process.

She answered pretty quickly, thank god. "Mrs. Olsen, to what do I owe this pleasure?" She asked me. "Are you at the orphanage?" I asked her, a little out of breath due to me running to my car. "No, unfortunately not, why?"

————————————

I warned you guys....
The drama is starting.....

How are y'all? I'm good, a bit tired since I started a my summer job on Monday. I'm working in a cafe at a museum, and like I always thought that working in a cafe was a chill job. Oh how wrong I was...

Anyway, take care of yourself please, you owe yourself that <3

Love, Frida xx