✾ʟᴀᴛᴇ ɴɪɢʜᴛs✾

𝕴 found myself tossing and turning in my bed, struggling to get to sleep no matter how hard I tried

𝕴 found myself tossing and turning in my bed, struggling to get to sleep no matter how hard I tried. I felt as though there was something I needed to do, and it was bothering me, I couldn't sleep until I figured out what it was. I could hear the girls' light snores, eventually deciding enough was enough and I would go down to the common room for a glass of water. I tiptoed down the stairs to the common room, pulling James' sweatshirt down over my hands to secure some warmth, my hair in one loose braid with stray pieces of hair framing my face.

"You alright?" A voice asked quietly, making me jump two feet in the air, not expecting anyone to he down here. He chuckled, pointing his wand at the fire to illuminate some light in the room.

I scanned over his face, his messy hair sticking up in all sorts of directions, his glasses rested on his face, hiding the dark circles under his eyes. He had a book in his hand, which was unusual, he didn't usually pick up a book and read in his own time, he preferred to do other things. I frowned faintly, as we stared at each other, him on the couch by the now crackling fire and me stood at the entrance of the common room. He was a morning person, always has been, why was he up so late at night?

I walked over to him, my fuzzy socks sliding along the floor, as I made my way over to the couch, perching down in front of him and crossing my legs. I bit my lip, my eyes showing hints of worry and concern.

"Why are you up so late?" I whispered, "and reading?"

"Why are you up so late?" He returned. I raised an eyebrow, giving him a pointed look. He sighed, placing a bookmark on the page he was on and placing it down on the small table, "I read when I can't sleep. It helps me escape from everything that's happening, like i'm in another world"

I nodded, completely understanding what he was meaning, because I did the exact same. Books were incredible. If you need time away from reality, reading a book can help with that. The only problem is when the book closes, it's just words on a page, a story. It's not reality, as much as you want it to be. He met my eyes again, opening his arms allowing me to cuddle into his chest, his comforting scent making me feel warm inside.

"Why can't you sleep? What's bothering you?" I mumbled as I nuzzled my head into the crook of his neck, feeling him trace his fingers up and down my back, the only noise being the crackling fire. I thought it could have been Lily, she had been more sharp with her latest rejection to him, he doesn't act like it bothers him when everyone else is around but I know it does hurt him.

'You' James thought to himself. 'You and Lily'. He couldn't voice that to her though, he was confused. He had been thinking about the two girls all night, each thought making him more and more baffled. Lily has been rejecting him for five years, putting him down every single time and Melody was the person to be there and comfort him, to lift him back up. She was his best friend though, that was supposed to be what she would do as a best friend, right?