✾ᴏɴᴇ sʜᴏᴛ 2✾

{This one shot takes place before chapter 'Late nights' earlier in the book}

"𝕺i, Prongs, what do you think would happen if I somehow managed to catch Minnie unexpectedly and kiss her?" Sirius opined to the bespectacled boy, sat beside him on the couch on the common room as he stared into the crackling fire, quirking an eyebrow before retorting,

"I don't know, Padfoot, but i'd love to see her deck you one for it"

"No, no, she'd go...." Peter trailed off, coughing and hitting his chest before saying in a Scottish accent relevantly close to Mcgonagall's, "Mr Black! Fifty points for Gryffindor....if you do it again!"

"I highly doubt Minnie, our Minnie would ever ask Padfoot to kiss her, never mind reward him fifty house points for it" Remus scoffed, not sparing a glance up from his book whilst he sat on his arm chair, "I'm with Prongs, i'd love to see her deck you one"

"How dare you Moony! And here I was thinking you would be my knight in shining armour to protect me!" The long haired boy cried out dramatically, proceeding to rambling on and on, though no one seemed to be listening.

Remus was enveloped in his own little reading world like usual, Peter was playing with his chess pieces on the floor near the fire with a blanket draped over his shoulders to keep warm. And James— well James was in his own little world, staring into the glowing orange glint in the fire, feeling the crackle almost blossom with warmth inside of his chest.

He drew his eyes away and glanced to the door of the common room when it opened, finding himself straightening up from his slumped position when Melody walked in with little Evelyn, chatting fairly giggly with the first year, a sparkle in her chocolate orbs, mirrored only by the ocean blue ones, looking up to her with a strong sense of admiration, only making his body warmer. Evelyn really looks up to her as a sister, and he knew Melody certainly had a soft spot for the younger version of herself, much like he did. She's like their child.

He allowed his eyes to wander over the blonde werewolf's stance, fairly innocently, he tried to convince himself. He soaks in the grey marl sweatpants which are fairly oversized on her, much like the red and gold sweatshirt she was fashioning. He glanced down to his lap, feeling a fluttering in his chest when he realised she was wearing his jersey, his name willingly on her back.

Breathing out a few soft breaths, he looked back up when they had both taken a seat on the couch opposite him, his orbs raking over the loose braid her hair was weaved into, stray pieces of hair framing her face giving an almost messy look, but if he admitted it truthfully, she suited it— definitely. He's not quite sure why he feels the need to watch her, it was just ever since a few hours earlier, she laughed so angelically at one of his jokes, the sound rang in his ears like chiming bells calling him home, to which he now felt the obligation to keep his eyes on her when she was close.

Lily never laughs at his jokes. She calls him stupid, idiotic, arrogant, egotistical and a toe rag. Basically any insulting name under the sun she could find for him, she said it. He would be lying if he said it didn't hurt, especially with his latest rejection from her when he quietly asked her out on a piece of paper in class— it's safe to say he didn't bother keeping the piece of paper she decided to write a lovely rant back to him on, he put it straight in the bin with a sting in his heart.

The sting which was quickly faded when Melody slid her arm around his back and pulled him close with a kiss on the cheek and a few reassuring words in sweet whispers.

That's what she's supposed to do though, as a best friend isn't it? An uplift of spirits? She was always there for him to pick him up, knowing full well when he gives something, he gives it wholly and puts his heart on the line. That's why he's been going for the same girl for years and years, he's really giving her his heart and it's there if she wants it. She doesn't, he knows that, but when does he stop trying? It's all he's ever known.