Page 243

Beatrix witnessed Zander's sleepless nights of listening attentively to her academic lessons, constructive criticisms, and etiquette training so he could become a refined gentleman and capable high-ranking official in the eyes of everyone. She also saw all the sufferings he endured in the hands of her father's ruthless men.

It started when General Ardor suggested that his son-in-law should practice martial arts to protect Beatrix in the future. At first, they were very enthusiastic about the idea but when she saw him getting beat up, she immediately protested but he was so stubborn! He wants to continue even though he would end up dead! It was like he wants to prove something...

"Father, you have to stop this! He is going to die if this continues!" She pleaded to her father.

The General did not reply but shouted to Zander in his booming and authoritative voice, "Son-in-law, my daughter is unimpressed by your strength!!! Do you wish for your suffering to stop?!!"

"No! I can do this!!!" Zander declared and continued fighting even though everyone knows that he cannot win!

Beatrix felt great anger and pity when she saw him unconscious and badly beaten that night! She washed his body full of dirt, bruises, and some cuts... Weapons were not allowed but he was punched here, kicked there, and thrown away so far several times that it became inevitable to avoid getting several bruises and cuts!

"Do not worry, Beatrix... My men held back their strength so his condition is nothing serious. He is fine! He can still attend court meetings in the morning." General Ardor seriously declared while looking at the unconscious form of his son-in-law.

"What?!! He still needs to attend court meetings after your men turned him into a wilted vegetable?!!" She was horrified when she heard her Father's opinion regarding his son-in-law's current condition.

General Ardor only chuckled softly and assured her, "It is nothing serious compared to what you will see in a battle... Some men are pierced by several weapons, others are blinded, and some even lost their limbs but they continue fighting until their last breath! Daughter, do not underestimate a man's pride and determination! Your husband only got minor bruises and shallow cuts so do not worry! He will wake up tomorrow morning!"

"Are you trying to make me feel better or worse?" Beatrix asked, feeling more scared. Sometimes her dear father is very tactless and does not know how to choose words appropriately.

The General laughed and patted his daughter's shoulder as he continued to look at the unconscious Zander, "Daughter, I would like to set a proper expectation now."

"What?" She seriously asked while also looking at the unconscious man.

"Zander is an academic genius so his current job position suits him best but he is a total waste in martial arts." The General seriously told her.

"Father, are you serious?!! Then why did you have to indulge him and beat him up to this point if it is pointless from the beginning?!!" She is beginning to get irritated that her father knows but did not stop it earlier.

The general is not surprised or offended by her outburst. She got her unwavering confidence and willfulness from her mother while her unbending courage and stubbornness from him so he is not offended but very proud!

"I did not know earlier but when I checked him now... I discovered that he could try to practice the basics of martial arts but it is futile in the end... He will never be able to defeat even a level-one martial arts practitioner! I did not know if it is lucky or sad that I met someone like him in my lifetime... A martial arts genius is extremely rare and so is a martial arts waste like your husband..." He told his daughter seriously, feeling sad at the same time.

"Father... you..." Beatrix does not have the heart to say it but her father understood her.

"Of course not! That young man is still my great son-in-law! Martial arts genius or not, my respect for this young man remains!" The General declared before he left the couple alone.

Beatrix looked at him silently for a long time... Seeing him so vulnerable and unconscious is making her heart hurt so much! She remembers the determination in his eyes and she does not understand why he wants to continue even though he might eventually lose in the end...

That is probably what we have in common...

She thought while looking at his form... Soon, she noticed that he seems to be having a nightmare! She tried to wake him up but he remained unconscious while muttering her name in his sleep. In the end, she chose to trust her instinct... She joined him on his bed then she embraced him and whispered words of assurance to him. She immediately noticed that he became calmer and more peaceful in his sleep! She smiled and decided to sleep in his bedroom that night...

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

FOLLOW to encourage the author.

VOTE to support the novel.

COMMENT to share your thoughts.

© 2021 Jezel Mandin Sapata-Gentiles. All Rights Reserved