Page 381

She hesitated for a while, thinking that she might get into serious trouble, but after examining his serious face and hearing the sincerity in his pleading, she was finally convinced to establish a communication with the Creator to personally introduce Aiden. Unfortunately, before she could successfully establish a link, a group of imperial soldiers arrived on the scene to inform their new emperor about the great chaos that was happening in the banquet hall! 

They hurriedly went back to the banquet hall and witnessed that the lively and festive atmosphere earlier was transformed into a great disarray and disorder! The majestic decorations were all ruined. The elegant tableware was probably used as a weapon as they were tossed everywhere and their contents were soiling, wetting, staining everything it touched with either food or beverage but usually both. The worst of all are the guests as they are all at each other's throats! 

"Stop this madness!!!" Emperor Aiden ordered in his booming voice and then immediately issued a dangerous warning, "Imperial Guards! Slay anyone who would not listen!!!" 

This time, everyone stopped fighting and looked at the source of the voice before they reluctantly let go of their opponent. When the order was finally returned inside the hall, he angrily asked the guests, "Tell me! Why did you fight each other like some rabid dogs?!!"

"They started it!" Someone yelled and his companions agreed. 

"Nonsense! You are the one who insulted us first!" The other side disagreed and was provoked to start another brawl. 

The emperor used his fist to pound the table before another fight ensued. It seems that the two sides detested each other so much that he needed to remind them he was present and observing their untoward attitude. 

"How did it start?" She suddenly raised a question. Usually, she would never interfere with problems like this and let Aiden or Viktor handle their men but when they returned to the banquet hall and she observed the two opposing sides, she already had a bad notion of how and why it started. She did not like it but she had to confirm it. 

A deafening silence reigned before a loyal supporter of Emperor Aiden bravely stepped forward and explained, "Prince Viktor announced to everyone that His Majesty is a big traitor to the empire and his family..."

She knew this was what happened but hearing the truth from other people made her more sad and extremely disappointed... 

Viktor... Why did you have to do it? You did not only hurt your uncle physically... You also destroyed his name and hard-earned prestige! 

She was startled when someone grabbed her hand. When she checked, it was Aiden who was holding her hand firmly. It was like he was using her for support and assurance. 

"Aiden, do not worry. I will help you fix this. I will go now and talk to Viktor... " She softly said and squeezed his hand gently. 

He looked into her eyes and replied, "No. Just stay here... " He also squeezed her hand gently before he faced the guests and he began confessing all his betrayal and crimes in the past. 

She felt an inexplicable emotion while looking at the man bravely unfolding his dark past and sharing his skeleton in the closet with other people. He talked to them directly and honestly like he did not care whether they would judge him or not. It was like he was surrendering his dreams and throwing away his future! He left no leeway for himself! 

When everyone left with disgust or dismay in their faces, she felt pain and sorrow for him! He remained silent for quite some time so she embraced him and he immediately returned the gesture. He quietly rested his chin on her shoulder...  

"Aiden... Why did you do it? You ruined your future... You destroyed their trust and lost their support now... Why did you have to admit to what Viktor said to them?" She whispered to his ears. Her heart was hurting and so worried for him.

He chuckled and reminded her, "Didn't you say that I should come clean? Why the sudden change of heart?" He did not notice he tightened his embrace. 

"To Viktor... Yes! To them? How dare they! They are also tainted individuals! How could they judge you like that?!!" She was furious and felt something more. This strong emotion was too foreign for her yet also too strong to ignore. 

"It's okay... I let go of that dream long ago. It seemed that was not the path for me... "

"No! You should not give up!" She replied with agitation and pushed him a little to observe his face before asking, "Aiden, be honest with me! Do you still want to become emperor or not?" 

He studied her expression first before answering her question with another question. 

"Do you know why I want to become emperor?"

"I know you have great plans for the empire and its people. You want progress and development. Aiden, I know you will become a great monarch someday which is why you should not give up...." 

"Okay. If you say so, then I will not give up!"

She cupped his face and promised him sincerely, "Aiden... You will keep the throne of Sky Empire! I will never let anyone take it from you!"

"Okay... " He answered half-heartedly. He did not know why his heart suddenly felt worried after hearing that promise so he added playfully, "Don't try too much. It's okay even if I lose that seat." He pointed to the throne.

She did not say anything. She already knew what to do to fix the situation and make his dream come true. He already went through a lot so she wished for nothing less than his happiness and success...

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

FOLLOW to encourage the author.

VOTE to support the novel.

COMMENT to share your thoughts.

© 2021 Jezel Mandin Sapata-Gentiles. All Rights Reserved