Page 328

Prince Andrew could not believe his ears! He involuntarily clenched his trembling hands as his face remained calm and devoid of emotion...

My Imperial Father was so healthy when I left... Why would he suddenly pass away?

He did not expect the huge change that happened while he was away. Several unexpected emotions ruthlessly slammed his heart at that time so he asked seriously, "What did you say?!!"

"Your Imperial Father had been seriously sick after you left and then he passed away during the chaos, Your Highness..." The same person provided him with additional details.

He immediately turned his back and looked outside. His gray eyes became darker as he see the great damage that happened to the once prosperous capital of the Sky Empire but the truth is he is not paying attention to it...

"Imperial Father, look! I solved the puzzle!" The three-year-old Prince Andrew presented his achievement to his father with great excitement in his eyes.

Emperor Claudius stopped reading the reports and immediately retrieved the complicated puzzle he gave to his two sons earlier. He examined it closely and silently before he said to him, "Very good, son!" 

His imperial father patted his head and was about to say something more to him when they heard his imperial brother cry...

"Imperial Father... I cannot do it!" The three-year-old Prince Anders wailed even more.

The emperor immediately put the puzzle down and went beside his crying little son. He lifted and then placed him on his lap.

"What's wrong, son?" Emperor Claudius asked his second son gently.

"I am dumb... I cannot do it..." Little Prince Anders pouted cutely as he replied to his father.

The emperor chuckled and embraced his adorable second son tightly. He used his handkerchief to dry his tears and then offered to help him solve the puzzle... 

Little Prince Andrew silently watched as his imperial father seemed to forget about him and the puzzle he presented earlier. His father spent the whole morning tutoring and giving hints about the puzzle to his brother. The afternoon came but his brother was still unsuccessful in solving the same puzzle... 

"Imperial Father, you must be very disappointed, right?" Little Prince Anders asked sadly and then said, "I would understand if you do not love me anymore..."

"Son, I would always love you! Even if you fail at something, I will always love you!!!" The emperor declared sincerely and then smiled happily as he encouraged his charming little son to persevere and never give up.

Little Prince Andrew saw the sincerity in his imperial father's words as he observed his father looking lovingly and smiling happily at his twin brother who is still trying to solve the puzzle... When they were left alone as their imperial father needed to meet an important official, he was stunned when he saw how easy it was for his imperial brother to solve the puzzle! 

"Imperial Brother, you heard it, right? Our Imperial Father loves me so much and will always love me even if I fail..." Little Prince Anders smiled triumphantly and waved the completed puzzle in front of his brother's face before he proudly declared, "So how much more if I succeed..." 

His imperial brother returned the puzzle to the way it was before their father left and then left him alone in that room as if nothing unusual happened. That was how he discovered his twin brother's true color...

He gritted his teeth and coldness flashed in his dark gray eyes as he suddenly recalled the past. He ignored the uneasiness inside his heart as he asked next...

"My Imperial Mother... How is she?" He knows that the first person who will be affected the most is his mother who loved his father more than life itself.

"Your Imperial Mother is not well... Her condition was not good at that time when your Imperial Father was ailing but she forced herself to appear strong and healthy in front of everyone, especially in front of your Imperial Father... " The young informant explained.

Prince Andrew hurriedly went to the empress' courtyard and saw his imperial mother sleeping in her bed. She is very thin and pale! He waited by his mother's side, quietly observing how big her change was from the time he left the capital. Finally, the empress fluttered her eyes open. Several tears of joy immediately flow when she saw her son once again...

"Andrew... I am so glad that you are back..." She softly said and tried to smile but her smile did not reach her empty eyes, "Your Imperial Father... He... He... He..." She could not finish her statement as another batch of tears flowed out from her eyes.

"I know my Imperial Father is dead..." He immediately finished the sentence for her as he does not want her to continue struggling and get hurt even more as she tries to say the most heartbreaking truth. "You need to rest and get well soon!" This time, he is tempted to smack himself! He did not intend to appear so cold or his words to sound very apathetic in this situation but this is who he is...

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

FOLLOW to encourage the author.

VOTE to support the novel.

COMMENT to share your thoughts.

© 2021 Jezel Mandin Sapata-Gentiles. All Rights Reserved