Page 329

For a moment, Prince Andrew wished his imperial brother is there so he would talk to their imperial mother especially now that she seemed to have lost her will to survive. Surely, his brother knows how to express his feelings through actions and choose the right words to say to inspire their mother to survive but as he carefully considers the new situation from every angle, he realized it is for the best that he is not around! He got rid of his brother for good, he would not give him a chance to mess with his life or his marriage...

"Did you find your brother?" The empress hopefully asked.

"No." He declared and did not provide more details. It is expected that his imperial mother would ask him this question because he lied to his late imperial father that he is going to find his imperial brother to patch up his relationship with him and then they would come back to the capital together... Of course, it is a lie! A big lie he created so his imperial father would immediately allow him to leave the capital at that time...

Imperial Father, I am very sorry for deceiving you... 

The empress closed her eyes with a painful expression on her face. When she opened her eyes once more, a mixture of fatigue and sorrow are now more apparent in her very sickly appearance.

"Your Imperial Father left a letter for you and your Imperial Brother. He placed those letters in the drawer of his study table. He would not say it but I know he missed you both and wanted to see you before his passing..." She gently told him while looking at him seriously. "It was a pity that you did not see each other before he... " She trembled and burst into tears... "Day and night, I am always praying for you and your brother's safe return! Now that I see you, I felt better... But still, I could not help but wish to also see your brother once more before I faced the inevitable..." 

Imperial Mother, I am very sorry for making you so sad and worried... As for you my Imperial Brother... I am sorry but you have to stay where you are!!!

"Imperial Mother, please... You have to survive! Don't you want to see your first grandchild? Beatrix and I will give you more grandchildren in the future... Don't you want to meet them all?" He blurted out the first thing that comes to his mind even though he is not sure if Beatrix will agree in this lifetime. Through his dreams, he recalled that she proposed to give him eight children in exchange for eight long overdue favors in the previous life.

The empress chuckled softly and teased him, "So my great imperial son finally wants to be shackled and chained?" She held his hand while she recalled his statement in the past...

"Imperial Mother, children are living shackles and chains... I would rather die or castrate myself than be shackled and chained to that pesky woman all my life!!!" Prince Andrew furiously replied when she asked him to give her and his father adorable grandchildren.

She smiled happily as she caresses his cheek lovingly. Now, she could see hope and happiness in his eyes that she did not see several years ago...

"No, Imperial Mother! You misunderstood... It is me who wants to shackle and chain my elusive wife! " He replied to his mother seriously with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

Let's see if she would still want to leave me when we already have plenty of offspring...

"You love her that much, huh?" The empress helplessly sighed when she saw the naughty smile on her son's lips. Now, she already feels sorry for Beatrix but when she recalled the intel that she and the emperor received when this new daughter-in-law finally entered their first son's mansion, she finally concluded that Beatrix will be alright.

Prince Andrew did not tell her about Beatrix's condition and Princess Madeline's betrayal and death. He left when his mother is already sleeping. He talked with the imperial physicians about his mother's condition. They honestly informed him that the empress' condition is already terminal. They told him to prepare for the worst any time soon!

He decided to go to the great hall next to pay respect to his imperial father's remains. Several officials saw him and offered their condolences. The next morning, he did not expect that the inevitable would happen too soon... The empress passed away in her sleep!

He does not know how to react... His imperial father's remains are still in the great hall for the grand funeral and now his imperial mother did not wait any longer to join him in death...

He provided instructions for his mother's funeral to the capable servants. He decided to put the two remains in the same hall. The conservative noblemen and officials would probably curse him and accused him of not following the imperial tradition but he does not care... He would gladly turn them into a corpse if they went overboard!

While the servants prepare for another funeral, he sullenly proceeds to where he could see his wife and unborn child. For some reason, seeing Beatrix breathe steadily gives him the strength to keep his sanity intact...

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

FOLLOW to encourage the author.

VOTE to support the novel.

COMMENT to share your thoughts.

© 2021 Jezel Mandin Sapata-Gentiles. All Rights Reserved