Page 395

“No, Your Majesty! No! They… We…” He didn't know how to say it but he decided to bite the bullet and tell the whole truth at once, “They didn't come and we can't find them!”

Silence reigned for a brief moment before Valentine decided to respond.

“How can they just disappear?!! An entire fleet can't just disappear!!! It's not like…” He stopped midway as he figured out something. Then, he quietly looked in the direction where she's staying.

Another deafening silence reigned between the two men as he solemnly stared at the brightly lit window of her bedroom.

“Your Majesty… are you alright?” Errol asked gently and worriedly. He could feel an extremely nasty and dark aura surrounding his master.

“Give me the ancient imperial seal… Now.” 

Errol almost had a heart attack when he finally heard his master’s deep and cold voice. He suddenly had the urge to run away and never come back!

“T-the… ancient imperial seal… It's… it's…”

“Just give it already! Why are you dawdling?!!” Valentine gritted his teeth and gave the man a death glare. He could not understand why his usually capable right hand man wants to waste his time now.

Errol wanted to cry and pull all of his hair from roots to tips but that would look extremely ridiculous…

How am I going to explain to him what I found out on the island?

“What is it? Just tell me directly and honestly.” Valentine had a hunch but he decided to ask hoping he was wrong.

“It’s… gone!”

“What?!! How can it be gone?!! It was there!!! Hidden in the pocket of my clothes that I accidentally left on the island?!! Why would it be gone?!!”

“Someone took it.”

“Who?!! Did you tell someone else about it?!!”

“I didn't tell anyone! I swear!”

“Then who took it?!! The island is uninhabited!!! Who could possibly get it there?!!”

“I’m sorry, Your Majesty… I found your clothes scattered inside the hut. Someone rummaged through your belongings and took the ancient imperial seal…” Errol explained nervously. 

Valentine closed his eyes in extreme anger and frustration. He clenched his fist so hard. The ancient imperial seal was unintentionally left on the island during the time he hurriedly went back to the capital with an ailing Beatrix. His fear and worry about her condition made him completely forget about it. After she regained consciousness, his excitement and eagerness to be with her made it even worse… And then, she became sick again and was proclaimed dead. It was only yesterday when he remembered it and asked Errol to retrieve it for him. And now, it's gone?

Why is this happening?!! Why did I lose it now?!! She is back… I need it now!!! No… No… I need it now more than ever!!! How could I get it back?!!

He wanted to punch himself… No, his past self for drafting and enforcing that law about imperial marriage and crowning of a new empress… Next, he wanted to curse his great great grandfather for not abolishing that law when he decided to use a new imperial seal for imperial transactions and official documents…

He suddenly had the urge to vent his anger by destroying things which he didn't normally do in the past. He is extremely pissed and frustrated! 

She is very close… Just within my reach… but why does it seem like heaven is preventing me?!!

He complained inside his heart and helplessly looked at her bright bedroom window. Unexpectedly, a brilliant idea popped up inside his mind and then a clever smile instantly appeared in his lips.

Why don't I use what I learned from her in the past? This way I will know who dared to steal the old imperial seal!

“Errol, just wait here. I need to do something real quick. Don't follow me!” He ordered and immediately looked for a more secluded and quiet place. 

His ability might be rusty now and performing it without proper preparation and strengthening of his current physical form might do more harm than good but this is an emergency and he could not afford to waste more time!

He focused and tried to recall the proper steps so he could peek into the past. He failed in his first attempt… second… third… fourth… fifth… sixth… seventh… eighth…. ninth… tenth… eleventh… twelfth… All ended in failure but he did not give up!

He tried once again and finally succeeded. He smirked as he saw inside his mind who took the old imperial seal…

“What a drag… I thought that rat was long gone! Now I need to take care of not one, but two stinky rats!” He complained and then collapsed on his back. He coughed a lot of blood the moment his back touched the ground.

“Errol…” He desperately called his henchman. He feels so weak... so cold… The darkness started to envelop him.