Page 330

Prince Andrew arranged the wake and burial of his parents to be performed grandly but swiftly completed three days later. Several nobles, officials, and scholars wanted to scold him for the hasty preparation and for not following the traditional seven days of wake, one whole day burial ceremony, and another seven days of memorial service as mandated by the custom intended for the members of the imperial family. They wanted to voice their opinion but in the end, they realized they have to keep their mouth shut because the first prince is the type of person they cannot afford to offend!

Prince Andrew and General Ardor saw each other in the grand funeral ceremony. After the burial rite is completed, the prince politely greeted his father-in-law and expressed his sincere appreciation for saving him and Beatrix while they are unconscious beside the watchtower...

General Ardor snorted in displeasure before he replied, "No need to thank me, Your Highness. I did it for that idiot!" He pointed to Emperor Claudius' sealed tomb and continued, "Before he passed away, he told me he had a feeling that you are coming back so he made me promise to protect and support your reign if ever you made it back to the capital... If not for that oath, I would love to sever your head and then smash it with my foot at the time when I saw you unconscious and defenseless!" The general shook his head in great disappointment and then he smiled creepily to his son-in-law as he asked, "Oh! Did I say... Love?" He clicked his tongue three times before he left his friend's tomb silently.

Prince Andrew watched his father-in-law's receding form... He chuckled at the general's honesty! Only the general has the guts to call his late Imperial Father an idiot and only this man has the balls to express his disapproval and murderous intention right to his face!

Beatrix... My Love, now I see where you got your temperament!

Three days after the burial is the grand coronation day of the new emperor. Once again, the nobles, officials, and scholars could only complain inside their hearts about the hasty coronation that occurred only a few days after the burial. In their minds, the new emperor is the perfect example of an unworthy and unfilial son! 

The newly crowned Emperor Andrew is aware of their thoughts but he does not care! He has several important reasons for doing so... 

First, he must seize the throne immediately so that his power and authority would become stable as soon as possible!

Second, the faster the current crises are resolved, the better. He wants the whole empire to move on quickly and work together in rebuilding and repairing what was destroyed by the enemies.

Third, Beatrix is still unconscious and he is very worried and secretly frightened all the time! He wants to focus on her condition since her due date is in two days... He does not want the whole empire to remain in a state of mourning when his wife gives birth to their firstborn. For some reason, he is certain his late Imperial Father and Imperial Mother would agree to his decision...

After the coronation, the new emperor ordered the servants to take care of the guests while he proceeds to where his pregnant wife is still resting. He sat beside her, gently held her hand, and leaned closer so he could whisper to her ears...

"Beatrix, today is my coronation day so you are now the new empress... Are you happy, my Love?"

She remained motionless and unresponsive so he whispered again, "When are you going to wake up? I missed you so much... Didn't you want to see me?"

Still, nothing happened... But he did not give up, "If you do not want to see me... What about our little one? You love our baby, right? Our child needs you! And I need you too... Please wake up, Beatrix!"

It hurt him so much to see her like this! That night, he summoned all the imperial physicians and had a serious talk with them...

"Why is she still unconscious?" He directly asked them his most pressing concern.

"Your Majesty, we could assure you that the empress is already out of danger. Her vital signs are all stable, the internal organs seem unharmed, and even her physical appearance looks normal. It truly baffles us why she remained unconscious..." The head imperial physician explained on behalf of his colleagues.

He immediately realized that they could not provide a specific reason. He is extremely dissatisfied but he could not entirely blame them because he also could see that she truly seems fine on a physical basis but only he knows of another disturbing fact...

 He could still detect his child's essence inside the womb but he could no longer feel her unique essence starting from the moment he returned to the capital! This fact secretly frightens and worries him all the time. He is so afraid that she would suddenly stop breathing and also take their child with her to the afterlife leaving him alone and lonely so even when he was attending the wake and funeral of his parents, he would always slip away to check her condition from time to time.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

FOLLOW to encourage the author.

VOTE to support the novel.

COMMENT to share your thoughts.

© 2021 Jezel Mandin Sapata-Gentiles. All Rights Reserved