Page 387

Forty-eight years later... 

The forty-eighth foundation day and also the forty-eighth imperial wedding anniversary have arrived. The whole Solaris Empire, especially the capital, was festive. In the city square, a grand buffet was prepared and open for everyone. Like the previous years, the people were dressed grandly for this important holiday. Even the commoners looked their best after receiving their huge bonus aside from their regular salary. As a result, every street was bustling with people selling or buying things while others were doing different forms of entertainment. 

Inside the majestic palace, the banquet hall was filled with high-ranking officials, noble people, and other courtiers. While waiting in the hall, some people were just talking casually with their family, friends, or colleagues while others were secretly gossiping about the imperial couple. It only stopped when the herald finally announced the arrival of the emperor and empress. 

"Hail His Majesty and Her Majesty! May their reign last for eternity!!!" The people energetically proclaimed as the couple walked hand in hand and then gracefully sat on their respective seats. 

The sixty-eight-year-old Emperor Viktor took a side glance at his beautiful and youthful empress before flashing his huge smile to the crowd. He could only think of one thing at that time... 

She stayed the same even after decades of marriage! 

He averted his gaze and stood up enthusiastically. He was in a great mood while facing the huge crowd of important people. His eyes started scanning the people in front of him before starting his speech for this double grand celebration. He could not help but frown in anger when he noticed a young nobleman staring at his empress' direction. 

If the young man was only admiring, he could just ignore it and treat it like any other day when men and women could not help but stare at her majestic beauty. But, it was different at that time... He could read the young man's disrespectful thoughts and vile intentions. He could not just sit back and allow the impertinent youth to get away with it unscathed!

"Imperial Guards! Arrest that man and execute him immediately!!! " He angrily issued an order that stunned several people. 

The grand throne room was instantly filled with questioning stares and murmurs as the young nobleman was seized and dragged by imperial guards. The parents of the noble young man hurriedly kneeled and begged for mercy. They were also indirectly questioning their monarch's order and asking for a valid reason for their son's execution without even a trial... 

The people were bewildered as to why their competent emperor would suddenly lose his mind and order someone's execution amidst the grand celebration. Their thoughts made him more furious! 

"How dare you question my judgment! That man has greatly sinned against me and my empress! Scums like him do not deserve to continue living!!!" He spoke out and the people were even more confused. 

Psi tried to intervene but he did not listen as he was already blinded by too much anger. When the sun was at its highest, instead of a grand banquet, a life was severed and it was witnessed by numerous powerful people of the empire. They began to whisper behind the walls and started to doubt their emperor's sanity and ability to rule...She knew about it so when they were finally alone, she gently talked to her husband... 

"I told you to ignore what you heard inside his mind and let the young man go. You know he could not do anything to me. He could not also get anything near to what you accomplished. Why do you have to execute him and earn the people's mistrust? Now the people are starting to doubt your capacity to think logically and rule fairly... "

"Hah! And what?!! Let that scum violate you inside his twisted mind?!! That's what you want me to do?!!" He argued angrily. 

Of course, she understood his point and she was thankful that he wanted to protect her just as much as she wanted to protect him. However, the other people did not know the whole truth and aside from that, she knew there was another reason behind his outburst. 

"Is that the only reason?"

"Okay! Fine! I erupted when that scum thought that I looked like a dirty grandfather screwing someone who looked like my granddaughter!!!" He yelled out angrily. His face was so red and his body was trembling from excessive anger. The lines and creases on his face became deeper and more noticeable. 

She silently approached him and embraced him. Soon, she could feel his body relaxed and his aura began to calm down so she talked to him gently... 

"Why do you let them get through your head? You know how much I care about you... I taught you the  ability to read other people's minds, not as a tool to spy on their thoughts, but rather to use it well so you could think clearly and decide wisely..."

She was not only talking about the young man that was executed earlier but she was talking about the general population as a whole. Knowing exactly the other people's thoughts and opinions about their relationship was hurting him secretly and affecting his self-esteem greatly. 

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

FOLLOW to encourage the author.

VOTE to support the novel.

COMMENT to share your thoughts.

© 2021 Jezel Mandin Sapata-Gentiles. All Rights Reserved