Chapter 57: Mommy

Athena's pov

Nine stressful days in the hospital. All full of tests and surgeries. Lucky hasn't left my side at all just like he promised.

Santo came and broke down when I woke up. I don't think I've seen him cry that hard since the night I took him from his sperm donor.

Flashback

My head is pounding and it hurts so much. Lucky hands me a glass of water with a small pill. I thank him for drinking it while waiting for the medicine to kick in. "Santo has been walking in and out for the last ten minutes" he tells me as I bite the bottom of my lip.

"Tell him to come, I want to talk to him," Lucky nods, standing up. "I'll leave you two alone I'll go get you guys some food and check on the boys I'll be back in an hour" he kisses my forehead before walking out.

Santo comes in sitting in the chair Lucky was just in looking down. He sniffles, wiping his face Along his sleeve still not looking up. "Santo look at me" I sit up and he finally looks me in the eyes.

"I thought you were dead" he croaks out breaking down "I was miserable for the first year and a half I drank every day. I drank so much dad would come in the middle of the night just to make sure that I was still alive. Luciano and Giovanni would ask me all the time 'when is mommy coming home?' I couldn't explain that everyone thought you were dead.

I thought you were dead. Ma you're my guardian angel you saved my life many times. I was lost without you. Rory was always there but it was like I was still missing a part of me. So many times I was thinking about ending it all.

I had the gun in my hand so ready to pull the trigger but I couldn't. Giovanni knocked on the door and asked to see pictures of you and tell him anything.

Even though you're here in front of me right now I still feel like you sent me a sign even if you didn't know who I was. When I was with them I never drank. I didn't want them to see me like that. I couldn't let them see me like that.

I missed you so much there wasn't a day that you weren't on my mind. Deep down there was something telling me you weren't dead, the gut feeling was right. I thought I lost my savior. Ma I love you so much please don't leave me again not until we're both old and gray and in A few days I could join you in paradise" Santo cries his face a bright red full of nothing but tears.

The tears stream down my face. I hold his hand and he pulls me into a hug holding me tightly. "Santo it eats me up on the inside knowing how much pain you were in. More than anything I wish I would have remembered something, anything sooner. I used to have dreams about you with Luciano or Giovanni when I would tell Marco he'd say it was my imagination. It was my mind trying to unlock the locked door.

When everything came back it was everything in a timeline. I knew at that moment everything that I was being told for the past two years was a lie. You staying alive means so much more to me than anything. Slowing down your drinking everything you've done to help Lucky or Luciano and Giovanni is what you did. I don't know how to ever thank you for being You.

Santo you helped me in more ways than you can think of. I didn't think I was ever going to be a good mom or someone who could make a difference until you came. You broke down my wall, you made me have that instinct.

Santo I love you so much I promise I won't leave until we're both old and gray" Our sobs come to the room as we embrace Each other tightly not daring to let go.

End of flashback

They all thought I was dead

All because of Marco and his obsession. Dante was the one on my side and I didn't even know it. "How are you feeling baby?" Lucky asks me rubbing his tired eyes. "I don't feel like shit anymore and I'm not craving any drugs right now so I'd say pretty good" He smiles, pulling me to his side.