Steve - Stranger Things

A/n: Trigger warning for depression, suicidal thoughts

It had been a couple of weeks since we had graduated high school. Since then, I hadn't really gone out. I had been isolating myself from everyone, and everything.

I had gotten an apartment on my own a few days ago. No one had a key, mostly because, I didn't really feel like there was anyone I was close enough to to have one.

Okay, so I had my boyfriend, but, I still didn't give him a key. I didn't really want Steve just, randomly coming in when I didn't want to see anyone.

I was currently just laying down on the couch in the living room. I hadn't really gotten up unless I really had to. I barely moved, I didn't really do anything. I just layed there in the silence.

There was a knock at the door, which, given how dead silent my apartment had been all day, it spooked my a little. I didn't say anything, because I didn't know who it was.

There was another knock. "Y/n come on. I know you heard me knock." Steve shouted.

I hid under the blanket. I hoped that if I didn't say anything, or do anything, he would just go away.

"Y/n!" Steve shouted.

I rolled my eyes. I got up off the couch, wrapping my blanket around me. I walked over to the door.

I unlocked the door then opened it. "What?" I said, my voice cracking slightly.

"Are you okay? You haven't been answering the phone." Steve said.

"Mmm. Fine." I said.

"You don't seem fine." Steve said.

I looked down at my feet. He was pretty much the only person that was able to notice when I wasn't actually fine. Part of me hated that he noticed, part of me was glad he cared enough to be able to tell.

"I'm not." I said in a defeated tone.

"Can I come in?" Steve asked.

I stood to the side then Steve walked in. I closed the door behind him.

"What's going on?" Steve asked before walking over to the couch and sitting down.

I walked over to the couch and sat down next to him. "I don't matter." I said.

Steve held onto my hand. "Why would you say that?" He asked.

"Because, it's true. I don't matter, and I'm not good enough. I'd be better off dead." I said.

Steve looked at me with tears in his eyes. I could tell that my words were breaking his heart.

"That's not true. Don't think that." Steve said.

"It's how I feel, Steve. I don't know. I'm, fucked up. I'm sorry." I said.

Steve kissed the back of my hand. "No, no. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I haven't done a better job at letting you know how much you matter, and how important you are." He said.

"Steve, it's not your fault." I said.

"It feels like it. I feel like it's my job to make sure you know these things." Steve said.

I laid my head on his shoulder. "It's not. I'm just, messed up. I'm fucked up, and broken, and screwed. And I don't deserve you." I said.

Steve kissed the top of my head. "Yes, you do. You deserve someone who cares about you. Someone who loves you." He said.

"What?" I asked.

"I love you, Y/n." Steve told me.

"You shouldn't. I dont-" I started.

Steve gently grabbed my chin and titled my head up. "Don't you dare say you don't deserve it." He said.

"But I-" I started.

"You do. You deserve to feel loved, to be loved. You deserve to be happy. You deserve to feel like you are enough. You deserve to feel like you matter." Steve said.

"No, Steve. I don't." I said.

"Why not?" Steve asked.

"Well, um" I said.

"You don't have a good argument. Deep down, you have to know you are worth it." Steve said.

"I don't feel worth it." I said.

"Then let me help you change that. I love you, okay? And I'm not gonna let you do this alone." Steve said.

"I love you too." I said before kissing his cheek.