Sherlock - Sherlock

It had been two years since Sherlock's death. It was such a painful feeling, not having him around anymore.

Cases kept coming in, and for the entirety of the time he was gone, I've been solving them. Well, with some help. But for the most part, I got along on my own.

This case had been certainly particularly bothersome. But I wasn't really wanting to go to my friend for help.

Although, I suppose I had gotten that from Sherlock. Not only was he my best friend, but he was more than that. We were together.

And by together, I do mean, in a relationship. Sure it was not really the most intimate relationship. We weren't super lovey dovey. And we didn't really mind it that way.

Not to say the relationship was devoid of love or affection, because it wasn't. But it wasn't a cliche like a romance movie.

Despite the fact living in a different building, I tended to work out of 221B Baker Street while working on a case. Something about being in his old flat made me feel closer to him.

At the moment, I was faced away from the door. I was sat on the floor with my legs in a crossed position, with my eyes closed.

I took a deep breath. I usually didn't have much difficulty solving a case. But the occasional one would happen to come up, which took a lot longer to solve.

I heard the door open. I opened up my eyes, stood up, then I turned around.

My jaw dropped. The person I saw, my mind couldn't comprehend it.

"Do close your mouth before you catch flies." Sherlock said.

I blinked a couple times. "Sherlock?" I asked, not really being able to believe what I was seeing or hearing.

"Yeah. I'm not actually dead." Sherlock said before closing the door.

"But I, it's been two years. John and I, we saw you fall off the roof. I, how are you here?" I asked.

Sherlock walked over to the couch and sat down. "You may want to sit down for this." He said.

I walked over to the couch and sat down beside him. "Okay. Tell me what happened. Please." I said.

And just like that, Sherlock explained to what had happened. How everything was planned, why he had to do it.

There was silence for a while until I finally broke it.

"I wish you hadn't." I said.

"You know I had to." Sherlock told me.

"I know. I just, missed you." I said.

"I know. I talked to John. He said you've been solving cases while I was, gone." Sherlock said.

"Yeah. I have been. Took up the mantle, so to speak. Not the same, solving them alone." I said.

"Have you gotten anything interesting?" Sherlock asked.

"Sometimes. Working a case right now. Bit difficult." I said.

"Oh. What is it? Do tell me. I'm dying to work a case. If you'll have my help." Sherlock said.

I smiled softly. "Nothing would make me happier than to be working on a case with you again." I said.

"Alright, okay. What is it though?" Sherlock asked, sounding slightly impatient.

"A serial killer. I know, I should be able to figure it out. But, I can't. For some reason. I'm stumped." I said.

"Tell me what you know. I'll help." Sherlock said.

"It's been a string of murders. Seven in the past six months. I took on the case a couple of weeks ago. There were two this month. It started as one murder a month. But, something, caused the killer to break the pattern. I can't figure out what, or why" I said.

"Is that all? How are they dying?" Sherlock asked.

"Their throat's are slit, bruises and cuts are found on their faces. It appears they are being beat unconscious and their throat's are being slit afterwards." I said.

"What's the connection between the victims?" Sherlock asked.

"I haven't the foggiest fucking idea at this point." I said.

"All men? All women?" Sherlock asked.

"Three men, four women." I said.

"And in what order?" Sherlock asked.

"Does the order really matter?" I asked.

"Yes, yes. It could be relevant to the case." Sherlock said.

"Man, woman, woman, man, man, woman, woman." I said.

"So you don't know if a man, or a woman is next?" Sherlock asked.

"Neither is going to be next, Sherlock. We will catch this bloody killer." I said.

"What do you know about this killer?" Sherlock asked.

"It's a man. I know that much. Shoe size is a nine. There were shoe prints at a couple of the crime scenes. Other than that, I don't have much." I said.

Five hours later

And like that, within five hours of Sherlock being back, the case was solved. A case that had been taking me two weeks, with his help, took five hours.

I had forgotten what it was like to solve a case with him. How he made it feel like fun. Not just a job, but, fun.

"Now that we've caught the bastard." Sherlock said, plopping down onto the couch with a book. "We can just, relax."

"Not going to instantly look for another case?" I asked, sounding surprised.

"Not today." Sherlock said, laying down, and opening the book. "For now, lay down, and we can just, read. Well, I'll read, you lisen."

I smiled softly before laying down with him. Moments like these, Sherlock reading to me, us laying together, I missed more than anything in the world.