Ward - Agents of SHIELD

We were on a mission. We had just discovered that there was a bomb there. Ward instructed me, Fitz, and Skye to get everyone out of the building so he could disarm it.

"Just, do as I say." Ward said to me.

Fitz and Skye were already working on getting everyone out of the building, but I wouldn't listen. I didn't think I needed to. After all, two people doing it was enough.

"Fitz and Skye can handle it." I said.

Ward sighed, clearly frustrated. "Why won't you just do what you're told?" He said.

"Why do you care so much that I get out?" I asked.

Ward went silent for a moment. It seemed like he was trying to think of what to tell me. I don't exactly know what was going through his head, but there was this vauge look of pain behind his eyes for a very brief moment.

"I'm leading this mission, if something happened to you, that would be on me. I don't need that on my conscience." Ward said. 

"Mhm. Well, you don't exactly have time to argue about what I do, or whether or not I listen to you. Time is quite literally ticking." I said.

"We'll deal with this later." Ward said with a hint of frustration in his voice before turning all of his attention to the bomb.

Truthfully, I could have listened. Although, my thought process was if he went down because he couldn't disarm the damn thing in time, we were going to go down together. I also knew that if he found out that's what I was thinking, he would be pissed off.

I knew he already would be at least a bit angry, considering I didn't do as I was told. It was also the fact that I definitely was not following protocall. Protocall was supposed to be someone disarms the bomb, the others make sure everyone gets out safely.

I stood there, leaning against the wall for what felt like an eternity.

"Okay, it's disarmed, now let's get out of here. Or do you still have an issue with listening?" Ward said, walking to the door.

I followed Ward, walking to the door. "No, no problem. But I would appreciate if you didn't act like you have any actual power or control over me, because you in fact, do not." I said.

"Well, on missions, if I'm in charge, you need to listen. I know what I'm doing." Ward said.

"And so do I." I said.

"Really? So you're fully aware that if that thing had blown up, you would've died too?" Ward said.

"Yeah. I do. I'm not an idiot, Ward." I said.

"With what you just pulled, you could've fooled me." Ward said. "It was stupid, and reckless."

"Wow. Okay. Let's just not deal with this. I don't need you on my back about one fucking mistake." I said.

"One mistake? This isn't just one mistake, Y/n. You seem to have no common sense in the field when it comes to me." Ward said.

"You're reading into things. It has nothing to do with you." I said. Okay, so I was lying. I just didn't want him to know.

"Whatever. If it happens again, we're going to have to get Coulson involved and have a very serious talk about your priorities and loyalties." Ward said.

"Now you're questioning my loyalties? Oh, that's fantasitic." I said sarcastically.

"Don't let it happen again. Understood?" Ward said.

"Yeah, sure. Whatever. Understood." I said.