Jim Moriarty - Sherlock

I had been off in my own little world for nearly thirty minutes now. That's what I did sometimes. I would disappear into my own mind any time the real world felt like it was too much, and right now, that was exactly how it felt.

"Y/n? Are you even listening to me right now?" Jim said, sounding irritated.

I snapped back into reality. "Sorry, I was-" I started.

Jim interrupted me. "You weren't paying attention. How many times have I asked you not to do that?" He said.

"A lot. But, I was lost in my own head. It happenes." I said.

"How do you get lost in your own head?" Jim asked.

"I don't know. It just happens, Jim." I said.

"Is this about yesterday?" Jim asked.

"You mean the fact I killed someone?" I asked.

"That is what I am reffering to, yes." Jim said.

"Yeah, it is. I can't stop thinking about it." I said.

"You don't have to feel guilty about it. Anyone can be a killer if they're pushed far enough." Jim said.

"I never said I felt guilty about what happened. I think that's why I hate this so much. Because I think I should feel guilty." I said.

"Now, what's the point in that, my dear? Will it bring them back? Will it change what happened?" Jim asked.

"Well, no. That just isn't how the world works." I said.

"Exactly. So, tell me. Who does guilt benefit?" Jim asked.

I went quiet for a moment. Jim did understand that, when this happened I was trying to ponder whatever question that I had been asked.

"Well?" Jim asked.

"No one. Guilt benefits, absolutely no one." I said. "But it is human to feel guilt."

"It's also human not to. You forget, bad people exist out there." Jim said.

"Yes, I definitely forget bad people exist. Totally not like I live with a criminal mastermind who hires people to kill other people." I said sarcastically.

Jim smiled softly. "You're not wrong." He said.

"I know that." I said. "I just, you're right. I don't need to feel guilty about what happened."

"Exactly. You're not ordinary. You're anything but ordinary, Y/n." Jim said.

"I am, yeah." I said.

"I'm glad you aren't. That would be boring. Plus, I am so proud of how strong you've become since we met." Jim said.

"That last part was, a bit random, but thanks." I said.

"I knew you needed to hear it." Jim said.

"Fair enough. I mean, you kind of are scary good at reading people. Especially me." I said.

"That, my dear, is because I know you." Jim said.

"Yes, I know." I said. "Now, I'm going to get going and hope that Sherlock doesn't find out I was the one that killed that man."

"Oh, he won't. You're smart enough to not get caught." Jim said confidentially.

Truthfully, that was all I needed. For someone to be proud of me, and for someone to have faith in me.