Chapter 71

November 2015
**YOUR POV**
„You know usually I have an answer to most of the questions, I have a solution or I simply try to find one, but not to this. I don't know what's gonna happen, if something is gonna happen in the first place. I- I don't know what to think." I admitted to Louis just as we got out of the little cafe down the street of the hospital.

Since Gem and Anne both had to get back to Manchester for at least a week to catch up on their life there, I was mostly alone here, switching from going to the hospital to going home and back.
So Louis invited me for a coffee or just some time to spend with a friend since I was all alone.

„I know it's hard, Y/n, but at the moment there are just no answers to find. The best we can do is support each other, hope and wait."

„It's been 8 days, Louis. Eight days of waiting and hoping and no signs of him getting better. I feel so helpless, because there's nothing I can do to help him except for waiting." I told him, my voice desperate. I probably sounded so pathetic.

„Harry is a strong lad, he just needs time. He went through a lot of trauma that night, his body needs time. I know not being able to help in any kind of way sucks, it really does, but that's just how it is right now." Louis explained, trying to assure me a little bit.

But it was hard to believe what he said, seeing Harry every day, lying in this hospital bed, life drained out of him, a tube sticking out of his mouth.

He was attached to life support for fucks sake, how could I ever manage to think more positive and just accept the fact that I couldn't do anything?

I didn't tell Louis that though. He just tried to help and Harry was his friend after all. It was hard on him and the other four boys as well.

So I just nodded. „Thanks Louis. And thanks for the coffee, I needed some proper time talking to someone other than hospital staff."

He chuckled. „Anytime, love. If you need anything, you know who to call, yeah?" He asked, unlocking his car that was parked on the side of the street.

„Yeah, I do." I nodded with a little smile.

Louis got into his car, rolling down the window. „Take care. See ya."

„You too, bye, Louis." I gave him a little wave when he drove away.

There I was again, all on my own, on my way back up the street to the hospital where Harry was.

I sneaked my way in, without the paparazzi noticing it was me what was kind of hard at the moment since there were small crowds of them spread around the property of the hospital every day since they brought Harry in eight days ago.

Only a few moments later, I found myself sat in my usual spot next to Harry, telling him about my day as always.

*

10 days.

It's been ten days without my Harry, without seeing his shiny eyes. The last time I saw them was the last time I saw him conscious, after the fall. His eyes were filled with fear and pain as I tried to calm him down before the paramedics arrived, trying to get him to breathe properly.

The past ten days have been the longest and most draining I ever had to live through and still, he was lying in that bed, unconscious.

Today I've been here all day starting from early in the morning, sitting next to his bed just talking to him and looking at him, hoping something would change.
I texted Anne and gave her some updates on him, sad that I couldn't give her better news.

It was some time in the afternoon, I placed his hand in mine, interlocking our fingers when exhaustion took over me and I fell asleep, my head resting on the edge of his bed.

Not long later though I got woken up again. The room was quiet apart from the machines beeping and pumping oxygen. I sighed looking at the clock to see it was still early evening. The sun has been gone for a while now though. Nurse Megan must have turned the lights on in the room while I was sleeping so I wouldn't wake up in the dark.

I rubbed my eyes before I felt the same thing that woke me up in the first place. The slight pressure on my hand that was still interlocked with Harry's.

My eyes widened and I didn't dare to move, too in shock and not sure if it was just my imagination.
I quickly stood up and placed myself right next to him on the edge of his bed, my hand still in his.

„Harry?" I asked carefully, trying not to get too excited, but I knew I didn't imagine this squeeze on my hand. „Can you hear me, Haz?" I gently cupped his cheek, stroking my thumb over it. „If you can hear me, can you please try to squeeze my hand again?"

I thought asking this was a reach, but there it was, the third squeeze. He heard me. He really heard me.

My eyes filled with tears of relief. Was he really? Was he gonna wake up?

„Harry, babe, I'm here okay? Don't be scared, love. I'm here. It's me, Y/n." I told him, tears escaping my eyes and falling down my cheeks when I looked down at his hand and he moved his index finger, tapping it on the back of my hand. „You're doing so good, love. Don't stop, okay? You can do it, I know you can." My voice was trembling and my hands shaking, not believing this was happening.

I kissed the back of his hand and ran my hand through his brown curls, showing him I was here when he squeezed my hand again, this time a tiny, tiny bit harder.

„I'm right here, Haz, I'm right here. Don't be scared, you're okay." I assured him, kissing his forehead.

I could see he was trying. He was trying so hard, his muscles tensing as he tried to push through until I finally saw the muscles in his face move. He was frowning, probably because he was in pain, but there was a frown. There was something.

„You're doing so good, baby. Can you try and open your eyes for me? Can you try that?" I asked him, his eyes moving quickly in his sockets, but his eyelids were still shut. He squeezed my hand again. „It's okay, love, take it easy."

With my free hand, I grabbed the remote to dim the lights so if he possibly opened his eyes, the light wouldn't hurt him.

There was silence for a few minutes, my eyes not leaving him, waiting for him to continue until he frowned again, letting out a tired whimper.

„Hey, I'm here Haz. I know you're in pain, but please try to push through. Please." I ran my hand over his cheek. „I miss your eyes, can you open them for me? It's been far too long since I've seen them." I stroked my thumb over the back of his hand. „It's me, love, Y/n. Come on, you can do it." Tears fell down my cheeks and my heart was pounding hard in my chest when his eyes quickly moved underneath his eyelids until they fluttered and finally opened.

I let out the biggest sigh of relief when he looked at me tiredly, his eyes slowly closing and opening again, trying to focus as his eyes moved to look around the room before they stopped as they met with mine.

„Hey there, green eyes." I cried, cupping his cheek with my free hand, gently brushing my thumb over it.

It was clear he was scared, not being able to move his head with the brace he still had attached around his neck and the breathing tube in his mouth, making it uncomfortable for him to breathe. He was trying to cough, whimpering doing so since he was in pain and instantly reached for the tube with his hand that I just caught in time as he tensed up and closed his eyes shut, feeling the pain that went through his body. He most probably didn't even know where he was.

„Hey, look at me, look at me, Haz." I held his hand in mine as I saw the fear in his eyes, a tear slipping down his cheek. „Don't be scared, okay? You're at the hospital. Please don't try to talk or move so you won't be in more pain. You're attached to oxygen. It's helping you to breathe. I'm gonna call someone that'll help. Please try to stay awake for a little bit, you can sleep as long as you want later, okay?" I asked him, pressing the red button and he just looked at me, closing his eyes for a second before opening them again since he couldn't nod. „I love you so much, baby." I cried with relief. „Welcome back, my love. I missed you so fucking much." I pressed a kiss on top of his head.