Chapter 79

November 2015
**YOUR POV**
The second day after Harry's surgery was similar to yesterday, except that he got out of the ICU into and back into normal room.
I sat in his hospital room, watching as the doctor removed the drainage tubes from Harry's incision site, revealing the large incision along the middle of Harry's back. It looked painful, nearly seven inches long and still inflamed with a deep red.
Imagining the doctors performing surgery on Harry at this delicate spot on his back never failed to hurt my heart, especially now seeing the large incision, showing me how much it must have hurt him.

They covered the incision with new dressings again as I noticed Harry's face scrunched up in pain while he tried to lean forward as good as he could, tightly gripping the bed sheets, so they were able to reach his back.
I got up and placed my hand on his, showing him my support somehow since I really couldn't do more for him than just being there and showing him my love and support.

The doctor was getting him off the morphine pump and switched to oral medication he would be allowed to take in throughout his meals. Harry wasn't able to eat a lot, the pain and medication preventing him from doing so since it made him nauseous at times, but the doctor said it was normal and with time he would start eating more. Anne was a good help with this matter, gently helping him eat so he would get stronger again.

When the physical therapist came in today, he wanted Harry to try walking and asked me to accompany him on a short walk down the hall.

„Ready?" I asked him when he sat on the edge of his bed, the physical therapist and I of each of his side. He nodded, letting us help him to get on his feet, standing up with a painful groan. He clutched onto my arms, using me for support as he hissed in pain every few moments, barely out of the room. The physical therapist let go of Harry as he supported himself on me anyways and we started walking very slowly when he fretted about the aching twinges in his back.

„Fuck, fuck, fuck." He breathed, holding tight onto me.

„Do you wanna go back, love?" I asked as he stopped just in front of his room to breathe through the pain that flared up in his back. „It's okay if we stop."

He shook his head no. „I wanna be able to walk...I can do it. Let's just go for another bit." He told me, his eyes shut.

„Baby, I don't want you to push yourself further than your body can go. I don't think it's a good idea if we continue." I rubbed his arm soothingly. „Please don't push yourself, you're already doing so good and I'm so proud of you, but you're in a lot of pain and you've also still got broken ribs that I know are hurting. Let's get you back in bed and rest for a while. We can try again later in the day if you want."

He nodded slowly. „Okay, fine. I just wanna be able to walk again. I can't even take a few steps out of my room."

„And that's okay, my love. Your body needs time to recover." I told him on our way slowly back into his room until we reached his bed again and I helped him sitting down, his legs dangling over the edge as he looked down on the floor, clearly upset. „Haz? Baby what is it?" I asked him when he looked up at me again and I saw a tear falling down his cheek.

„It's nothing." He shook his head. „Can I...can I just have a hug? I haven't held you in my arms for so long."

„Of course you can, love. I didn't dare to hug you, because I'm scared to hurt you, you know?" I admitted.

„You won't hurt me, sweetie." He assured me. „You've just got to be mindful of my back, that's all." He smiled a little.

„Are you sure?" I asked again and he nodded before opening his arms for me and I leaned down, carefully wrapping my arms around his upper back, avoiding the lower part while he wrapped his around mine, nuzzling his face into the crook of my neck and the first time in two weeks, I felt so complete, finally being able to hold him in my arms again and feeling his touch. Even though I obviously had to be careful, it meant everything to me. „I missed this so much." I admitted, placing a kiss on his neck.

„Me too." He agreed.

„Will you tell me now what the tear was about just now?" I asked, gently pulling away and wiping the remainder of his tear on his cheek away. „Are you okay?"

„I am now, yeah." He nodded with a small smile. „It's just a lot emotionally, but I'm fine. Thanks."

„You know, I'm so proud of you." I pressed a kiss on his lips. „You're so strong and I love you so much. You're my strong fighter." I kissed him again and he smiled a little more this time.

„Love you more."

„Alright, let's get you back in bed properly so you can lie down. Do you need help?"

„Yes, please." He nodded, already slowly starting to try lift his legs what didn't work without him letting out a sharp breath, pain hitting him again.

„Careful, baby." I reminded him, taking off his slippers before I carefully helped him shift in bed and lifted up his legs to place them on his bed. „You okay?" I asked afterwards, seeing this already was clearly a lot for him.

„Mhm, it just...hurts...a lot when I move." He leaned back against the mattress into the cushions that would support his back, his eyes shut.

„You know what? Aren't you sick of this hospital gown already?" I asked, hoping it would distract him a little.

„Well, yeah it's cold and uncomfortable." He looked down at the blue and white gown he was wearing.

„How about I go to your house and grab your soft and warm sweatpants that you love so much and a fluffy and soft hoodie that won't hurt your incision so you'd feel more comfortable and warm?" I suggested, slipping my hand in his.

„That'd be really nice." He smiled. „Would you also bring me a pair of those fluffy socks?"

I smiled back. „What do you mean? I love your sexy compression stockings you're wearing at the moment." I said ironically, making him laugh. The laugh I missed so dearly, that he didn't show me for a long time. It was finally back. It was a small one, but it was back. „Anything else you want me to bring you?" I ran my thumb over the back of his hand.

„That's it, thank you, you're the best." He pursed his lips, waiting for a kiss that I instantly gave him.

„No need to thank me." I smiled. „Your mum should be back in a minute anyways so I can go and you won't be alone here." I told him already grabbing my car keys. „By the way." I waited until I got his full attention. „I missed your cute laugh." I pressed a kiss on his lips and he smiled again. „See you in a bit, okay?"

„Yeah, thanks babe." He looked at me with tired eyes and I left the room just when Anne was about to enter. „He's sleepy. Pushed himself a little too much earlier." I whispered before she got in. „I'm quickly gonna head home and get some clothes for him."

„Alright, got it." She smiled. „Drive safe, sweetie."

I nodded and left the room, making my way out of the hospital towards the parking lot to head home.