Chapter 78

November 2015
**YOUR POV**
We both took a deep breath and entered the room, this one bigger than his last room in the ICU.

Harry was propped up against an angled mattress and pillows placed under his back. He still had a nasal cannula that provided oxygen wrapped around his ears.
His eyes were hardly open, his exhaustion clearly visible. His hair was in a bun, some strands of it falling out on the sides of his head, his face pale and weak.

I went to the side of his bed, placing my hand on his cheek. „Hey, how are you feeling, lovie?" I asked gently.

His eyes slowly moved to meet mine. „Tired." He mumbled.

„I know you are, love." I lightly kissed his forehead. „The surgery went well, though. You're gonna make a full recovery, you're gonna be okay, that's great."

He nodded weakly, moving his eyes until he finally met Annes who stood next to me, slowly reaching his arm out for her and letting her take his hand in hers. „You're here mum." His voice was even raspier than when I last talked to him. „Thanks for coming."

Anne smiled, some tears falling onto her cheeks. „Of course my baby. I'm glad you're okay. I missed you very much, my love."

„Missed you too." He mumbled silently. „Can I...can I sleep...please."

He looked at me. „Of course. Sleep as long as you want, love. We'll be here when you wake up again." I told him, kissing his forehead again.

He fell asleep quickly, sleeping on and off the rest of the day and not talking much.

The next day the physical therapist came in just like the doctor told us and started to help him with sitting up which he was able to do, but very slowly and weakly. After that he had him attempted to stand which he struggled to do so, holding onto the the bed for dear life, his face scrunched in pain as his legs shivered, trying to hold himself upwards until he was told he could sit back down and he was able to catch his breath.

„You did so well, baby." I pressed a kiss on his cheeks as soon as he was lying back down in bed again and the physical therapist was gone.

„It hurts...so much." He breathed, his eyes shut closed.

„I know, I'm sorry, Haz. I know I can't do much, but can I do something to help in any way?" I asked gently.

„Please just stay here...with me." He took my hand, squeezing it lightly.

„Of course, love." I moved closer so that he could rest his head against my shoulder. „I'm not going anywhere."

„I thought I was gonna pass out when he helped me standing up. It hurt so bad, as if my spine got split in two." Harry admitted silently.

I brushed his hair out of his face, tucking it behind his ear. „It will get better with time, I promise. You had surgery just yesterday, you'll be standing and walking sooner than you think."

He nodded against my shoulder. „Y/n?"

„What is it, love?" I could tell something was bothering him.

„I'm sorry for ruining Christmas this year."

I frowned, slowly pulling away and leaving his head on his soft pillow so that I could shift and look him in the eyes. „Harry Edward Styles what the hell are you talking about?"

„Well, I mean Christmas is only a few weeks away and I'll be on bed rest and can't do anything."

„Harry, sweetheart, no, you're definitely not ruining Christmas. Please don't think that-."

„You know what the doctor said, Y/n. The first five weeks of recovery will be the most intense ones. I'll be in so much pain during this time and I know how much you love Christmas and would like to celebrate instead of caring for me. I don't wanna be a burden."

My heart hurt, hearing him say this. „Seriously stop, Haz. First of all, you're injured, you just had spinal surgery, of course I'm gonna take care of you, I told you that already. Even on Christmas. You could never be a burden, Harry. Plus do you even know how I spent Christmas the last two years?"

He weakly shook his head no.

„I was at the hospital, getting treatment for cancer. I was alone and couldn't celebrate. I didn't even want to, didn't even see the point to do so. This is the first year I'll be able to celebrate again and I'll be able to celebrate together with you, just the two of us and I couldn't be more thankful for that. Even if we stay in bed together all day and sleep or whatever, I'd be happy no matter what, because I get to be with you." I cupped his cheek and kissed his lips. „Please don't think you'd ruin Christmas. You could never and I don't want you to blame yourself all the time for things like this, Haz. Please don't."

„I'll try." He said with a little smile. „I love you."

„I love you more." I ran my hand through his hair. „Try to get some sleep love, you deserve it after today."

„You mean after I stood for like ten seconds and my legs almost giving in?"

I tilted my head. „Don't be so hard on yourself, you literally just had spinal surgery. You did well and I'm proud of you." I smiled a little before kissing his cheek.

„Thanks." He reached his hand out so I could take it and he gave it a gentle squeeze before he closed his tired eyes and finally fell asleep.